PDA

View Full Version : Replication and the conscious "you"

Prodigy54321
01-08-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm going on vacation for a few days so have fun discussing this.

a person could theoretically be replicated at some point in the future (or infinite times in the future and past) if that which makes you "you" can be recreated through natural or possibly artificial means (by artificial I only mean produced by an existing conscious being).

Does the implications of true randomness hinder the possibility of replication, or is this inconsequential due to an infinite timeframe?

If your brain is indeed "you", would another "you" be confined to only responding in the same way that your brain would, or is memory and past experience included within what is definably YOU.

Also, can a replicated person be conscious of the original person's experiences?
-as in you being replicated (reincarnated) and being conscious of reading this post today.

If not, can this replica of you be considered to actually be "you"?

Not considering the possibility of a god existing...

How likely is REPLICATION? (a future natural or artificial "you" that DOES NOT have consciousness of past "lives")

How likely is REINCARNATION? (a future natural or artificial "you" that DOES have consciousness of past "lives")

(those two words are just what I choose to use and are not based on their true definitions)

yukoncpa
01-08-2006, 03:08 AM
Being replicated in the manner you suggest is very similar to having an identical twin (even a clone is just an artificially produced identical twin). Although twins have strikingly similar personalities, even when separated at birth, their minds are unique. Their personalities are formed as much by their environment as by genes. Indeed, everytime you have an experience your brain physically alters.
Also, just because the universe may be infinite, doesn't mean that humans in their present form, or any form, will be infinite.

Trantor
01-08-2006, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going on vacation for a few days so have fun discussing this.

a person could theoretically be replicated at some point in the future (or infinite times in the future and past) if that which makes you "you" can be recreated through natural or possibly artificial means (by artificial I only mean produced by an existing conscious being).

Does the implications of true randomness hinder the possibility of replication, or is this inconsequential due to an infinite timeframe?

If your brain is indeed "you", would another "you" be confined to only responding in the same way that your brain would, or is memory and past experience included within what is definably YOU.

Also, can a replicated person be conscious of the original person's experiences?
-as in you being replicated (reincarnated) and being conscious of reading this post today.

If not, can this replica of you be considered to actually be "you"?

Not considering the possibility of a god existing...

How likely is REPLICATION? (a future natural or artificial "you" that DOES NOT have consciousness of past "lives")

How likely is REINCARNATION? (a future natural or artificial "you" that DOES have consciousness of past "lives")

(those two words are just what I choose to use and are not based on their true definitions)

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm afraid this interesting question falls at the first assumption. According to all existing theories and experiments replication is, in principle, not possible.

luckyme
01-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Even if a perfect copy, molecule by molecule, was made of a 1 year old today, if they were separated and one sent to an african village and one stayed with his cambridge physics professor, they would be very different people. Very similar in IQ and personality but nothing like 'the same person'.

A perfect copy at 60 years old would retain it's fidelity a lot longer, even shifting environments.

luckyme