PDA

View Full Version : Poker Etiquette - Hit & Run

getfunky
01-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Wanted the forums advise about winning a big pot and quitting- Barry Greenstein says you should avoid doing this because it encourages this behavior and often ends up causing future games to break up. Is the etiquette different on the internet?

Here's an example I sat down, and was quickly dealt trips and won a tremendous pot. I felt under the weather and didn't really want to play anymore. Nevertheless I stayed long enough to loose a small portion of it back in antes and bi. Should I have just left, or did I do the right thing?

7csCB
01-07-2006, 09:16 PM
In my opinion, it's your money. You do with it as suits you and you leave when it suits you.

I was observing a 30/60 table on Pokerstars and some guy had just won a wad. His stack was > 2K. He left and popped right back in his seat with 600. One of the other guys (a regular) was LIVID. I thought it was pretty funny.

Andy B
01-07-2006, 09:51 PM
I didn't realize that the software allowed this. It certainly shouldn't. I know that Paradise's software doesn't.

As for the original query, hit-and-run is a definite no-no in home games. Generally speaking, you should show up on time and stay until the bitter end unless you let folks know in advance that you're going to do otherwise. In a public poker game, you're not under the same obligation. If someone plays a few hands in a $15/30 game, wins a big pot, and gets called for $30/60, no one is going to object to him leaving. On-line, there's really no reason to sit in a game you don't want to play in anymore.

It's probably a little different in very large games where the player base is very small. I know that I've sat in my local $30/60 stud/8 game when it wasn't very good in the hopes that some of the other decent players would get frustrated and go play hold'em (they invariably do). With Barry's game, there won't always be a real live one at the table. The regulars all want that game to be going when a live one shows up, though.

One thing I like about playing on-line is that I can play for 20 minutes if that's what I want to do. I'm not going to drive 20 minutes each way to the card room to play for 20 minutes, though.

BeerMoney
01-07-2006, 11:02 PM
The hit and run is an art form, and a science.

Raul Wong
01-08-2006, 12:34 AM
In general with internet play and low limit B&M play it really doesnt matter at all. The only time when I would be concerned about hitting and running would be if I knew I was playing with the same players day in and day out in either HU or short handed situations. It doesnt really matter in a full game, because if the game is always going then it doesnt really matter if you hit and run the game everydya.

7csCB
01-08-2006, 12:41 AM
Actually, he was away for a few hands. I know the software limits how soon you can sit again.

getfunky
01-11-2006, 02:11 AM
Thanks all that was very helpful!

RoyalLance
01-11-2006, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I was observing a 30/60 table on Pokerstars and some guy had just won a wad. His stack was > 2K. He left and popped right back in his seat with 600. One of the other guys (a regular) was LIVID. I thought it was pretty funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny as hell. Maybe I should try that next time.

TheSalche
01-11-2006, 06:04 PM
I saw somebody at UB 3/6 win a pot, leave, come back with $60 again. When she won another pot, she'd leave, and come back with $60.

Superstitious if you ask me.

TheSalche
01-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Funny thing just happened ... after I read this post I finally got my seat at 2/4 stud on PStars. First hand: AAA.

Scooped a 13BB pot and decided to quit there /images/graemlins/grin.gif