PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate fish-rating?

gasoltub
03-19-2006, 09:51 PM
I'm thinking about the best way possible to give a "fishfactor" rating to the people in your PT database.

rvg72 suggests this formula in this post (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=5007405):
VPIP/((fold/call)+0.5) = fishfactor

I'm not quite happy with this and think there must be a better formula.

It should preferably result in a normalized value and have properties along these lines:
Increasing VPIP -> increase in fishfactor
Increasing WTSD -> increase in fishfactor
Increasing preflop agression -> decrease in fishfactor
Increasing postflop agression -> decrease in fishfactor
anything else?

A first attempt would look like this:
VPIP * WTSD * (1-preFlopRaise) * (1-postFlopAgression) = fishfactor

VPIP, WTSD, preFlopRaise and postFlopAgression would all take on values between 0 and 1. So postFlopAgression wouldn't be the normal pokertracker agression factor but instead the percentage of all agressive bets to the passive ones.

What do you think? Is there anything else that needs to be accounted for?

I'm incorporating something like this in FishFinder (http://www.texasholdemteacher.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemi d=29) but I want some input first to make sure I don't miss out on any good ideas.

AceofSpades
03-19-2006, 10:18 PM
I find a lot of my money comes from tilting hyperaggro players. Perhaps you could have a fishfinder of different categories of fish.

gasoltub
03-19-2006, 10:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I find a lot of my money comes from tilting hyperaggro players. Perhaps you could have a fishfinder of different categories of fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. There is no way a single query can find all types of profitable opponents. This is an attempt to create a single number that can represent loose-passive-ness.
I would need another formula to single out maniacs.

yukoncpa
03-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Hi Gasoltub,

PokerAce Hud derives two numbers indirectly from Poker Tracker that I find immensely helpful ( I say indirectly, because I don’t find the exact corresponding number in poker tracker, I think PokerAce uses a different denominator ) they are: “Fold to Flop Bet” and “Fold to turn Bet”. Before your wonderful product came along, I always selected my Buddies based on the criteria that these 2 numbers be 25% or less. And boy would you be amazed at how many people will call flop and turn bets 75+ percent of the time.
So, the < these numbers, the greater the fish factor.
Thanks, keep up the good work.

rvg72
03-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Well, the formula I created is really simple and was really effective for me but that definately does not mean it was optimal.

But, regarding aggression, what I found is that aggressive fish are way more profitable than non-aggressive fish if you adjust properly so I do feel that post flop Fold/Call Ratio is more valuable than WTSD + Aggression Adjustments. Additionally, an aggressive player will have an even lower WTSD so his aggression is taking on a disproportionate part of the formula.

I do think that perhaps both techniques have merit - if you want very safe winnings then your approach works great since aggression will create bigger swings. If you want to maximize edge I think that my approach is better.

But either way it is hard to lose money following these players and putting it into your program is a great step.

rvg