PDA

View Full Version : PLO400 - Get tricky w/ set or play it straight forward?

parre
01-07-2006, 02:47 PM
So - the main question is wether to get tricky on the flop and just flat-call, or wether to play it straight-forward and go ahead with the raise.

Villain in this hand seems a bit on the tight side, I'd say he's playing a little too tight, but then again - he might have just been card-dead. Villain has seen us call a preflop raise on the button and then check behind in a five-way pot on a AT2 board and take it down with a pot bet on the turn when all four players checked it to us and we bet.

PokerStars Pot-Limit Omaha High, $4 BB (8 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

SB ($109.80)
BB ($504.50)
Hero ($456.80)
UTG+1 ($2242.30)
MP1 ($484)
MP2 ($411.20)
CO ($284.20)
Button ($228)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
Hero calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls $4, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to $22</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls $18, Hero calls $18, MP1 calls $18.

Flop: ($90) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $87</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $348</font>.

Is this a good spot to get tricky? When villain bets, I'm almost positive he has AAxx. I'm not sure wether villain will overplay his aces if we just flat call, and I'm not thrilled to give AA45 or something like that a free card. I'm hoping that the villain will think that we're trying to push him off his hand by our raise and that he will push his stack in.

If I'd be in position, I'd be much more inclined to flat-call his bet, but I don't know - should I get tricky or should I just do as I did this hand? And, I don't really like having other players behind to act and get sufficient odds to peel one off with a straight draw...

Oh, and skip the "fold preflop" comments. I know.

RoundTower
01-07-2006, 04:35 PM
If you flat call here, you must be intending to check the turn? Because if you lead out on the turn villain is probably more likely to fold than if you check raise him now. But this risks giving him a cheap card now and a free card on the turn, which I think is too much. If you were in position or if you had a read to say he would definitely bet with unimproved AA on the turn, it would be different.

If you have the same image you described in the other post he may well put you on 456 or J45 or something and stick it all in. It's not all that likely but it might be the only chance you have of getting paid.

Maybe min-raise and push the turn is the way to get the most value out of this, but I dislike that on principle.

joewatch
01-07-2006, 07:21 PM
You should just win this outright and be happy as you don't have any redraws / blockers. That's why JJxx isn't a very profitable hand and should be folded in general preflop.

BluffTHIS!
01-07-2006, 08:46 PM
Don't get fancy out of position, and like joe said, be happy to take it down when getting him to bet the flop. He could easily have a wheel card with his AA or even 65. And if he has something like that and picks up a flush draw on the turn, you will still be ahead usually on the turn, but it could cost you the pot on the river. Plus sometimes of course that ugly A will show up as well. Assuming he is in fact tight enough to fold AA to a checkraise on that flop, you should also be checkraising something like 7654 if you played that up front.

RoundTower
01-08-2006, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming he is in fact tight enough to fold AA to a checkraise on that flop, you should also be checkraising something like 7654 if you played that up front.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you need to assume this? I think I checkraise all in with that hand on this flop against anyone.

BluffTHIS!
01-08-2006, 08:15 AM
I meant checkraising versus leading on the flop.

parre
01-09-2006, 07:51 AM
If I'd flat-call, of course I'd check the turn - that's what would make the play so risky, because I'd give two free cards. Thanks for all the replies.

The villain thought for a long time before folding his hand and we pick up a nice medium-sized pot.

greatwhite
01-11-2006, 02:09 PM
I like the way you played it on the flop and I probablly would have played it the same way. However, I'm dumping that hand preflop. If you flop 2nd set, it's too hard to get away from.