PDA

View Full Version : annie duke's advanced hold 'em instructional dvd

thedarknight
11-20-2005, 10:29 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2U...vd&v=glance (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2UBNY/002-1039522-7684046?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance)

annie got your gun, and shoot me now!

maurile
11-21-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2U...vd&v=glance (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A2UBNY/002-1039522-7684046?v=glance&n=130&n=507846&s=dvd&v=glance)

annie got your gun, and shoot me now!

[/ QUOTE ]
This actually lives up to its name of being "advanced" (compared to most books & DVDs). She doesn't go over beginner stuff like starting hand selection. Instead, she skips to stuff that isn't typically covered in more basic poker books/DVDs.

I really liked the section on spotting physical tells (which assumes that the viewer is already familiar with Mike Caro's stuff), especially tells that signify that a player bluffing. She describes several techniques used by FBI personnel to spot "tells" signifying that a witness is lying. Bluffing, lying -- same thing. And some of the tells are the same: an increase in blink rate, "hooding" of the eyelids, etc. This section is quite good.

The other section I liked a lot was on playing against a maniac. (Many players become maniacal themselves when confronting a maniac. Duke recommends becoming a bit more passive -- to induce bluffs when you're ahead, and keep the pot small when you're behind.)

The production quality of the DVD isn't great. It's just Annie talking at the camera. But the content is actually surprisingly good.

thedarknight
11-21-2005, 05:55 AM
yeah i heard about that FBI interrogator doing a talk at one of the camps, and the pros just absorbing so much out of what he had to say. I myself am interested in knowing what he has to say. However, I do not think that will warrant me to pay 20 bucks for the dvd.

bookie socks
11-21-2005, 06:37 AM
1st off, it's only $15. And if one of those tips helps you win just one pot it pays for itself. Helll, skip lunch 2 days. Or don't buy Starbucks for a couple days.

yodamus1
12-08-2005, 07:14 AM
So has anyone else watched this DVD? Any comments? Is it worth getting as an intermediate/advanced guide?

thedarknight
12-09-2005, 03:18 PM
who knows probably not worth getting..the only DVD you should probably get is Final Table Poker by Phil Gordon. The overall consensus is that's the best poker DVD out there.

Negreanu is coming out with a DVD too. I'm sure it will be solid.

steamboatin
12-10-2005, 09:05 AM
I bought it on Ebay for just over one big bet at $6-12.

yodamus1
12-10-2005, 08:33 PM
and? Would you recommend it? What kind of things are discussed in it?
Thx /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shandrax
12-11-2005, 05:34 AM
Annie's DVD is pretty decent. She discusses lots of stuff that is usually outside the books. The tells she is talking about don't appear in Caro's book for example. The playing section is quite interesting also and it is not the usual Deja Vu stuff. She presents it in a way that was new to me even after reading many books about the subject. Her philosophy on dealing with maniacs based on potsize is very interesting for example.

In my opinion the DVD is so cheap that you simply cannot make a mistake buying it. You will definitely find a couple of gems that are well worth the price. I am actually quite surprised that this DVD and the Phil Hellmuth's trash have been published by the same company. I mean it's a difference like day and night.

RoyalLance
12-11-2005, 07:59 AM
I watched the DVD, too. If Annie's future DVD's are as good as this one. It may be one of the best pokers DVD series out there, if not the very best.

UATrewqaz
12-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Video 1: Angle Shooting
Video 2: How to flirt despite being unattractive
Video 3: How to milk being overrated for maximum value

pastabatman
12-12-2005, 08:31 PM
Grow up.

steamboatin
12-12-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not here yet.

benfranklin
12-12-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is not here yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's never stopped anyone from giving an opinion about books or DVDs on this forum.

paulish
12-12-2005, 11:48 PM
lol

jtfur23
12-13-2005, 04:59 AM
I agree. Final Table Poker is probably the best one out there. Annie's had a couple of decent reviews on Amazon.
I don't know what limit you play, but $15-$25 bucks for a DVD is nothing if you learn one thing from it. Can't go wrong for $15.

steamboatin
12-13-2005, 09:37 AM
I haven't bought Phil ordon's Video because I rarely play tournaments.

Caesar's IN has started running three touraments per week so maybe I should work on my tourney game.

mongoose51
12-16-2005, 02:41 AM
I liked the DVD, it has a lot of good stuff on it, and it is available from Netflix, so you don't even have to buy it just borrow it. I think it is worth buying. I did watch it severl times and took some notes.

steamboatin
12-17-2005, 02:43 AM
It showed up in the mail, watched it, liked it.

end of review

She is way to cute to be wearing that "Hippie" looking blouse.

bitznbytz
12-19-2005, 03:18 PM
I also got it from NetFlix. I thought the material was good. The tells section is probably the best part of the DVD. The rest was decent, but not anything earth shattering if you've already been playing for a while.

The production values bothered me a little, but then I'm just a picky bastard /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Overall, I'd recommend picking it up for a $12 big bet, or better yet, rent it.

MyMindIsGoing
12-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Slightly off topic, has anyone seen any of the other Annie Duke dvds? There seems to be alteast four of them out:

* Beginners
* Advanced
* Girls

jimitilt
12-21-2005, 11:25 PM
they are not yet released

jimitilt
12-21-2005, 11:26 PM
they are due out early next year according to Amazon

Grumbo
12-28-2005, 12:33 AM
I bought it and thought it was pretty good. Like others have said, nothing earth shattering.

One thing that was a little off was her saying on two occasions that betting half the pot will give your opponents 4 to 1 odds.

binions
12-28-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing that was a little off was her saying on two occasions that betting half the pot will give your opponents 4 to 1 odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yikes.

Everyone knows that betting half the pot gives your foe 6:1 odds.

/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Freaking Annie Duke. I still laugh every time I think of Negreanu's RGP post about her.

Grumbo
12-28-2005, 12:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Freaking Annie Duke. I still laugh every time I think of Negreanu's RGP post about her.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did he say?

ECDub
01-28-2006, 05:24 AM
Just got my copy of the DVD. I was expecting it to be more high quality, but it was good. Like someone already mentioned, her hippie style blouse will probably prevent any future viewings of this DVD. I think it would have been better if she just wore her t-shirt and jeans. Seems like she was trying to glam up for the camera. I think she was even wearing make-up /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Joking aside, had she brought in some actors to demonstrate the tells or something to mix it up a bit, it might have been better. Just her chattering for 90 minutes can get boring. The DVD has a low entertainment value, but there was some good advice, advanced information revealed that would be helpful. The thing is, the tells and profiling your opponent sections were good, but I never play live poker, so it was less helpful. Her online poker DVD coming out might be the one I need.

Here are the chapters of the DVD:

* Introduction
*Advanced decisions
*Tells --really good section
*Bluffing--solid section
*Implied odds and pot odds --Same old stuff as usual
*Playing against the maniac--worth the price of the DVD by itself. Fantastic analysis by Duke.
*Money management--Good

Overall, it was well worth the $$ I paid for it. She knows her stuff and the DVD is Annie Duke talking about poker strategy for a solid hour and a half. I'm sure most people will get something useful from the DVD.

01-28-2006, 02:57 PM
I just got it in the mail yesterday and I actually liked it.

I agree that the production quality is no where near that of Phil Gordon's but the content is there.

This is truly an intermediate/advanced DVD - she doesn't waste time talking about basics and goes straight to advanced topics immediately.

It's almost like paying to watch an Annie Duke seminar for 90 minutes. Wouldn't that be worth the $15?

The FBI stuff on tells is excellent and probably never discussed before in any other poker forum.

She actually said that you will likely learn more to help your live game from FBI journals than you would from a poker book.

Despite the basic production, based on the price and the content from a top pro, it is well worth purchasing and worthy in an any poker library.

deacsoft
01-28-2006, 07:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

The FBI stuff on tells is excellent and probably never discussed before in any other poker forum.

She actually said that you will likely learn more to help your live game from FBI journals than you would from a poker book.

[/ QUOTE ]

I proposed the idea of taking classes / attending seminars on insurance claims investigation well over a year ago on this very site and in these forums. The General forum if my memory sereves me correctly. In that post I outlined the gains a player could receive from such teachings. Insurance claims investigators are taught to be human lie detectors. Their job and industry depends on it. FBI agents have a difficult and unfortunately needed responsibility that sometime has human life in the balance. So, they too need to be good at this aspect of their job. Claims investigators can have multi-million dollar claims in the balance. Much like, say, a WSOP championship. While we are not readily able to get FBI lie detection training; claims investigation training is available everywhere. After all, it is/ one of the fastest growing industries.

I could not find the old thread, so I'm sorry I have no link to provide.

benfranklin
01-28-2006, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The FBI guy she talks about is Joe Navarro. Here are some links to his stuff:

Link 1 (http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/fbi/decep_detect_01.pdf#search='joe%20navarro')

Link 2 (http://www.fbi.gov/publications/leb/2003/june2003/june03leb.htm#page_20)

01-29-2006, 12:22 PM
Hi Ben,

thanks for the link. Link 1 is a very good article.

Annie Duke's comment on learning more from FBI journals than poker books was probably the most interesting note I picked up from the video.