PDA

View Full Version : random number generation

the_joker
03-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Does anyone know of a good random number generation algorithm that would be practical to use while playing live (i.e. calculate a random number within a second or two)? I'd rather not use the second hand of a watch because I may want to generate multiple numbers in quick succession.

If not, would it be legal to use programmable watch (something like this (http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7462)) and program to display a random number every second or two?

I think my play is too tight and predictable! Thanks for any advice!

billygrippo
03-16-2006, 08:29 PM
use the flop/turn/river. u can use it from preivous hands too.

the turn and river are great for game theory bluffs.

HLMencken
03-16-2006, 08:38 PM
roll a die... they make more than 6-sided as well

gasoltub
03-16-2006, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know of a good random number generation algorithm that would be practical to use while playing live (i.e. calculate a random number within a second or two)? I'd rather not use the second hand of a watch because I may want to generate multiple numbers in quick succession.

If not, would it be legal to use programmable watch (something like this (http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7462)) and program to display a random number every second or two?

I think my play is too tight and predictable! Thanks for any advice!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is something i've been thinking about from time to time too. Never delved into what I would want it to do exactly though.
A thing like that should be really quick to whip together so if you come up with some features you want in it I will look into it.

Things that come to mind directly is:
* variable number of random numbers
* variable update rate
* variable number ranges
more?

AlphaWice
03-16-2006, 10:44 PM
There are "electronic-coin flippers" you can buy that generate random numbers for you. They are very small too; about the size of a playing card.

the_joker
03-17-2006, 03:22 PM
Are these legal to use at a live game?