PDA

View Full Version : Affirmations

Malachii
11-18-2005, 05:30 PM
Has anyone done these for an extended period of time? Have you noticed any significant changes in yourself and your subconscious behavior? I'm thinking of trying some to help me combat tilt and would like to hear other people's experiences.

RyanC
11-18-2005, 07:09 PM
I listen to pink floyd or widespread panic. It turned my game around. Seriously!!!!!

DrVanNostrin
11-18-2005, 07:19 PM
Why is it that whenever someone uses the word "affirmation" this is all I can think of?

http://digitaltirade.com/Rants/archives/stuartSmalley.jpg

jordlepop
11-18-2005, 07:25 PM
you are the smart and dog gun tit teh peeplw like you!!

Nut4Dawgs
11-18-2005, 08:00 PM
Here's an affirmation for you...

You've got some set of cajones, Mal. Opening yourself like that with all the flame throwers on 2+2! Jeeze, 30% don't know what tha hell "affirmations" means, 30% couldn't spell it if you gave 'em 9:1, and 30% are scared sh**less of anything remotely approaching/hinting at, "touchy-feely." The rest, hell I don't know.

btw, are you gay?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Malachii
11-19-2005, 06:22 AM
Are you guys trying to be retarded? Go to OOT.

Nut4Dawgs
11-19-2005, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you guys trying to be retarded? Go to OOT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mal, I apologize for my silliness. You asked an honest question and you deserve honesty.

A number of years ago, I spent time in a support group. I know what affirmations are. My remark about your cajones was, in fact, an affirmation.

You showed courage when you posted your question. You were/are looking for information. You think something might be of help and you're making an effort to find out. That's very positive and an indication of emotional stability and maturity.

A lot of the people in my group kept diaries and wrote affirmations in them. While in the group I tried that. It did help.

Today, when I'm questioning something I've said or done, I try to get honest with myself and look for "stinking thinking" on my part. That's an affirmation of my willingness to admit I was wrong and that I want to change something about myself. Maybe this post is an indication.

I've got more thoughts, but this is getting long. I truly hope this helps.

Malachii
11-20-2005, 06:34 PM
Good post nut4dags. FWIW I wasn't referring to you when I said people were being retarded. Thanks for contributing to the thread in a positive manner.

phydaux
01-03-2006, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's an affirmation for you...

You've got some set of cajones, Mal. Opening yourself like that with all the flame throwers on 2+2! Jeeze, 30% don't know what tha hell "affirmations" means, 30% couldn't spell it if you gave 'em 9:1, and 30% are scared sh**less of anything remotely approaching/hinting at, "touchy-feely." The rest, hell I don't know.

btw, are you gay?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I see you need a thick skin to play ball in this playground...

I'm making a list for myself, but so far I only have one:

I play poker for the money, not the action.

I find that one helps keep me out of pots when all I have is A5o.

Mr. Now
01-03-2006, 12:02 PM
Affirmations are useful for belief change but in themselves are not usually sufficient for lasting change. Existing limiting beliefs are typically obstacles to lasting positive change and need to be dealt with.

More important are actual references that support the statement. Such statements can become beliefs quickly with references.

For example an affirming statement such as "I am a winning player" is not really useful in a lasting way-- until some actual experiences (references) support that statement.

At that point the belief will tend to persist, and it will tend to invalidate older limiting beliefs such as "I am a losing player."

One of the most useful beliefs you can develop is the belief that you are responsible for 100% of your results, including every statistically "impossible" beat you experience.

Another very useful belief to adopt is the belief that, in multiplayer zero-sum games scored in dollars, anything can happen at any time.

A consequence of not adopting this belief is a tendency to AVOID taking 100% responsibility for all your results.

This leads to all kinds of problems common to the vast majority of players, who make themselves non-winners. They do these things intentionally and get exactly what they want.

Just like winners do.

phydaux
01-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Hmmm...

So if I could set up a logic chain, with actual references that support each link in the chain, I'd be in good shape. Working in your examples of useful positive beliefs, it would look something like this:

I am a winning player. My growing bankroll attests to this.

I am a winning player because I make thoughtful, concidered wagers. Every wager I have ever made has been a wager I chose to make.

Although I don't know who will win this pot, I do know that if I continue to choose thoughtful, concidered wagers when I have +EV, then I will be a winning player over time.

And I am a winning player. My growing bankroll attests to this.

(Why do I feel like adding
"It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains.
The stains become a warning.
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion." ?)

Beantown
01-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Malachii,

I just started getting into affirmations myself. Check out the book, "What to Say When You Talk to Yourself" by Shad Helmstetter.

Nut4Dawgs
01-03-2006, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow. I see you need a thick skin to play ball in this playground...

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, I hate it that you must have missed my post after the one you quoted.

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Mr. Now
01-03-2006, 03:49 PM
A thread-killer for sure. You might want to gargle right away.