PDA

View Full Version : Another Poker Story from Capitol Hill

ChrisAJ
03-16-2006, 01:40 PM
Again, from today's edition of The Hill:

Poker fans looking for bill to ‘flop’

With games of no-limit Texas Hold ’Em seemingly on every other cable channel these days, and millions of Americans — including scores of staffers and lobbyists — sitting down to weekly games, it’s only natural that an association would crop up to defend the interests of players.

The nascent Poker Players Alliance, active for only about four months, was born of its members’ concern about pending legislation in Congress, as well as local law enforcement’s targeting of private games and charity tournaments.

The members who now constitute the board “came together and said there’s a need for a consolidated voice in the U.S.,” said President Michael Bolcerek, who was in town this week for the markup of the Internet Gambling Enforcement Act, introduced by Rep. Jim Leach (R-Iowa).

Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) and Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) also have legislation pending to restrict or eliminate online gambling.

“A lot of stuff just happens in D.C. and people don’t know about it,” Bolcerek said.

Although Internet gambling is big business — some estimates had $60 billion wagered in 2005 — Bolcerek, a high-tech executive from Silicon Valley, emphasized that the nonprofit organization is purely membership-supported.

Thus far, it has recruited more than 20,000 members through poker tournaments, magazines and blogs. The board includes Linda Johnson, “the first lady of poker.”

Bolcerek also said a number of well-known professional players are members. “I could tell you their names, but I’d have to kill you,” he joked.

Link (http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/UndertheDome/031606.html)

It's the second story on the page.

BluffTHIS!
03-16-2006, 02:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The nascent Poker Players Alliance, active for only about four months

[/ QUOTE ]

= trying to build the ark after the flood.

Benjamin
03-16-2006, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The nascent Poker Players Alliance, active for only about four months

[/ QUOTE ]

= trying to build the ark after the flood.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't say so ... after all there has been no legislation passed yet.

I encourage everyone on these boards to join the PPA, contact there Senators and Representatives, and push other poker players to do the same.

Anyone who doesn't take these steps has no right to complain if this bill becomes law.

Benjamin