PDA

View Full Version : Local news story about guy breaking law by gambling online

Niediam
03-15-2006, 07:52 PM
http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4637546

I only found it to be semi-interesting but thought it was worth posting anyhow...

Analyst
03-15-2006, 09:40 PM
"But the real surprise, according to Bailey, is that Pollack actually was able to collect his winnings. He says the AG’s Office gets calls all the time from people ripped off by online gambling operations."

This is why legislators need to be educated. Players *don't* get ripped off by the major online sites. Regulation, yes; prohibition, no.

Annulus
03-15-2006, 10:06 PM
this is pretty stupid. isnt there more important issues in the world? the funny thing is i live in michigan.

Relvin
03-16-2006, 12:10 AM
The following quote from the article is very encouraging.

[ QUOTE ]
But since the Web site Pollack gambled on is located offshore, the jurisdiction falls to the federal government.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to this state laws for online gambling (if you gamble at on offshore site) do not matter. They only apply if you gamble on a U.S. site. So I believe none of us online poker players at the moment are doing anything illegal because I believe the Wire Act does not make online poker illegal. Of course, the quote in the article could be incorrect. Can anyone confirm if the above quote is true?

Thanks

J.R.
03-16-2006, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The following quote from the article is very encouraging.

[ QUOTE ]
But since the Web site Pollack gambled on is located offshore, the jurisdiction falls to the federal government.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to this state laws for online gambling (if you gamble at on offshore site) do not matter. They only apply if you gamble on a U.S. site. So I believe none of us online poker players at the moment are doing anything illegal because I believe the Wire Act does not make online poker illegal. Of course, the quote in the article could be incorrect. Can anyone confirm if the above quote is true?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on where you live, as the law and its enforcement and interpretation vary. But given how poorly this article is written, why would you ever consider anything in it credible. Nate Bailey's quote is moronic, I'd hope its a misprint.