PDA

View Full Version : how many souls?

Trantor
03-15-2006, 07:02 PM
How many souls does a human chimera have? The easy answer is none (my belief). I believe think one or two, why?

BigBadBabar
03-15-2006, 09:25 PM
what is a human chimera?

bbb

Hopey
03-15-2006, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what is a human chimera?

bbb

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is this is the definition the OP is going by:

"One who has received a transplant of genetically and immunologically different tissue."

bunny
03-16-2006, 02:31 AM
One

ffredd
03-16-2006, 04:20 AM
Zero of course. There is no evidence that souls exist, i.e. that consciousness is something more then just a result of interactions between the material components of a brain and the brain's interactions with its environment.

Unless of course you would count the "personal incredulity argument" as evidence. ("I don't see how a bunch of interacting particles could ever be conscious").

Even if you believe that there is such a thing as a soul, it makes no sense to believe that there would be two of them in a body that has been the recipient of a kidney transplant or a blood transfusion. Would that mean that the donor now has none?

$_DEADSEXE_$
03-16-2006, 05:10 AM
I thought the belief was that the body is in fact a shell and the soul is only freed once you die. So why would it be in yr kidney?

purnell
03-16-2006, 07:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One

[/ QUOTE ]

MidGe
03-16-2006, 07:08 AM
0 < numberOfSouls < 1

In honour of diebitter, 0.42 seems to be the correct answer.

HLMencken
03-16-2006, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the belief was that the body is in fact a shell and the soul is only freed once you die. So why would it be in yr kidney?

[/ QUOTE ]

My turds have souls too... makes me cry every time I flush.

chezlaw
03-16-2006, 07:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
How many souls does a human chimera have? The easy answer is none (my belief). I believe think one or two, why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this just a religous version of the problem of personal identity?

If souls exists then:
1 person, 1 soul
same person, same soul

chez

madnak
03-16-2006, 10:10 AM
Jeez. You really aren't up to date on your scientology.

Really though, the idea of cohabitation of souls is interesting. The assumption of Western religion that a body must have only one souls is rather arbitrary. Many cultures have believe in soul cohabitation, and it actually makes some sense in terms of schizophrenia, etc.

Bork
03-16-2006, 12:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you believe people have zero and you believe they have one or two. This is an odd assortment of beliefs.

Anyway the correct answer is exactly one because that that is all the pineal gland can hold:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/pineal-gland/

AJFenix
03-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Obviously thousands of souls, attached to you like parasites. The church of scientology can help you remove them and recover your omnipotence for a reasonable price.

spoohunter
03-16-2006, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jeez. You really aren't up to date on your scientology.

Really though, the idea of cohabitation of souls is interesting. The assumption of Western religion that a body must have only one souls is rather arbitrary. Many cultures have believe in soul cohabitation, and it actually makes some sense in terms of multiple personality disorder , etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scitzophrenia is something different.

Trantor
03-16-2006, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So you believe people have zero and you believe they have one or two. This is an odd assortment of beliefs.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/smile.gif Didn't notice the typing interruption due to poker program cutting in! "I believe" --> "If you believe". But I guess you realised that!

tcleberg
03-16-2006, 03:42 PM
the hell is a chimera

Sharkey
03-16-2006, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There is no evidence that souls exist, i.e. that consciousness is something more then just a result of interactions between the material components of a brain and the brain's interactions with its environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

What evidence do you have that consciousness is exclusively the result of interactions between the material components of the brain, etc?

Hopey
03-16-2006, 04:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is no evidence that souls exist, i.e. that consciousness is something more then just a result of interactions between the material components of a brain and the brain's interactions with its environment.

[/ QUOTE ]

What evidence do you have that consciousness is exclusively the result of interactions between the material components of the brain?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...maybe the fact that when the brain is damaged it can affect consciousness? Or are we mistaking "brain damage" for "soul damage"?

AJFenix
03-16-2006, 04:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What evidence do you have that consciousness is exclusively the result of interactions between the material components of the brain, etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.ketteringsurgical.co.uk/asp/pics/155/W11202.jpg

Hopey
03-16-2006, 04:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.ketteringsurgical.co.uk/asp/pics/155/W11202.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly that doll is suffering from some serious soul damage.

Sharkey
03-16-2006, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What evidence do you have that consciousness is exclusively the result of interactions between the material components of the brain?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know...maybe the fact that when the brain is damaged it can affect consciousness? Or are we mistaking "brain damage" for "soul damage"?

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn’t pass the basic logic test. It only establishes that the material brain affects consciousness, not exclusively causes it.

Hopey
03-16-2006, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn’t pass the basic logic test. It only establishes that the material brain effects consciousness, not exclusively causes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're asking for proof of something that is impossible to prove. How very typical of your posts on here.

Can you prove that a "soul" plays a role in consciousness?

Personally I believe that the stapler sitting on my desk plays a role in my consciousness. I challenge you to prove to me that it doesn't.

Sharkey
03-16-2006, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn’t pass the basic logic test. It only establishes that the material brain effects consciousness, not exclusively causes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're asking for proof of something that is impossible to prove. How very typical of your posts on here.

Can you prove that a "soul" plays a role in consciousness?

Personally I believe that the stapler sitting on my desk plays a role in my consciousness. I challenge you to prove to me that it doesn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where have I asked for proof of anything in this thread?

madnak
03-16-2006, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Scitzophrenia is something different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anything that includes a dissociative element could be caused by soul cohabitation.

Hopey
03-16-2006, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"What evidence do you have that consciousness is exclusively the result of interactions between the material components of the brain?"

Fine, you asked for 'evidence', not 'proof'. Give me 'evidence' that a soul plays a part in consciousness.

ffredd
03-16-2006, 05:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You asked for evidence:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you got a reply that mentioned something that at the very least makes it more plausible that what I said was correct, you dismissed the reply ("That doesn't pass the basic logic test") because it doesn't "establish" (i.e. prove) that what I said was correct.

That doesn't really make sense unless you meant "proof" when you asked for "evidence". If Hopey misunderstood you, then so did I. Maybe you should state more clearly what you mean. How do you define "evidence" for example?

Hopey
03-16-2006, 05:15 PM
He's arguing over semantics now. To most people, the sentence "Show me some proof that X exists" has the same meaning as "Show me some evidence that X exists".

Every time that I decide to answer his questions, rather than ignoring him or treating him like a troll, he reverts back to his troll-like behaviour.

Sharkey
03-16-2006, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you got a reply that mentioned something that at the very least makes it more plausible that what I said was correct, you dismissed the reply ("That doesn't pass the basic logic test") because it doesn't "establish" (i.e. prove) that what I said was correct.

That doesn't really make sense unless you meant "proof" when you asked for "evidence". If Hopey misunderstood you, then so did I. Maybe you should state more clearly what you mean. How do you define "evidence" for example?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of nonsense has been made “plausible” to a lot of people.

You made a definitive assertion: “There is no evidence that souls exist, i.e. that consciousness is something more then just a result of interactions between the material components of a brain and the brain's interactions with its environment.”

I don’t want “proof” or “plausible”, just the facts best supporting the position that consciousness is nothing more than the material brain and its activities.

Trantor
03-18-2006, 11:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what is a human chimera?

bbb

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the case that triggered my question.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jht.../13/ixhome.html (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/11/13/nivf113.xml&sSheet=/news/2003/11/13/ixhome.html)

Cyrus
03-20-2006, 03:57 AM
Stax, Tamla, Chess, Atlantic, you name it.

By the way, the "Groove Me" guy died recently, did you know?