PDA

View Full Version : Is Light Itself Somehow God?

David Sklansky
01-07-2006, 03:30 AM
After all it does pop up in some spooky ways.

Time stops if you ride along with it.

It's two different things at once.

It becomes one thing (a particle) if it is observed OR IF IT WILL BE OBSERVED (perhaps I am stating things imperfectly).

Some if not all people see a ray a light right before they die.

The best thing about Light being God is that this fact would piss off every damn one of you except me and Lestat.

chezlaw
01-07-2006, 03:35 AM
At least one of us is nuts

chez

Zygote
01-07-2006, 03:38 AM
Did you just change the word "light" to the word "god" or are you saying something more important?

BluffTHIS!
01-07-2006, 05:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The best thing about Light being God is that this fact would piss off every damn one of you except me and Lestat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whereas think how disappointed you both will be to learn that light is just an attribute of that God. And the Higgs Field would have been a better example from physics.

Shandrax
01-07-2006, 05:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just one of these things that can never be proven. It's like these people who claim that they got kidnapped by aliens and that the aliens did experiments with them. One came up with the story after reading it in a comic and ever since then all of these freaks repeat it. That doesn't mean that this cannot be, but it is simply much more likely, that those guys make it up to get invited to Jay Leno. What's the name of the theory again? Occam's Razor or something.

Also light doesn't fit to the definition of God, because it is lacking ultimate power. You can interrupt a ray of light and you can deflect it and change it's direction. I think everything that can be manipulated that easily doesn't deserve to be called "God".

Metric
01-07-2006, 05:25 AM
You could probably get some distance out of this over on the sci.physics.relativity newsgroup. I have seen apparently serious posts entitled "God=guv" (the gravitational field) start threads that go on for hundreds of posts. All you need to do is argue that those crackpot fools simply had the wrong field -- it's obviously the electromagnetic field, not the gravitational one.

Prodigy54321
01-07-2006, 05:34 AM
Wow, when I joined this forum, it seemed apparent that you were the most sane person here, but I'm changing my vote...to be announced sometime in the future. (I'm trading in all of my Sklansky poker books for Hellmuth's now....It's a sad, sad day /images/graemlins/frown.gif)

Hey how about the universe itself being god?? I guess it depends on your definition of god, but the definition of god is really the only debatable issue of this post anyway...

maurile
01-07-2006, 05:37 AM
Light is the devil.

SNOWBALL
01-07-2006, 06:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

::ahem::

Whats the matter David? I'm not cool enough to be in your special light is god club?

diebitter
01-07-2006, 06:49 AM
So if you sin in complete darkness, you get away with it? cool!

PS. I'm not pissed off with the idea. Can I be in the brainiac club with you and Lestat?

LestatLioncourt
01-07-2006, 07:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Shut the [censored] up. You don't know me.

Phil153
01-07-2006, 07:20 AM
One of your 21 year old lady friends convince you to smoke some of the happy grass? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pkrNinja
01-07-2006, 07:29 AM
this post (and idea) is retarded

Pauwl
01-07-2006, 07:46 AM
Don't worry, I don't think that he's serious. Sklansky has played around with what god is and how he works or can or cannot see the future in previous threads. He even started his own religion called Sklanskyanity. I think that he enjoys the idea of designing a religion or a version of god and then playing around and debating it. Or maybe he's lost his mind, I dunno

Phil153
01-07-2006, 08:02 AM
John 8:12

"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." -Jesus

SNOWBALL
01-07-2006, 08:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
One of your 21 year old lady friends convince you to smoke some of the happy grass?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're 23 years old. Get your facts straight.

benkahuna
01-07-2006, 08:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's a singular phenomenon that has properties intermediate between those of a particle and a wave.

I'll go on record saying if light is G-d that's cool with me too. I try to be scientific and mature and not fight the nature of reality, rather I prefer trying to accept it.

TomBrooks
01-07-2006, 09:33 AM
I think God is everywhere, so she is in light, but she is not just confined to light.

Suppose you were in a completely dark room, say in a windowless sub-basement. If you turned a light on and off, would it be like God is there - God is not there - God is there - God is not there - clap on - clap off.

luckyme
01-07-2006, 12:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Time stops if you ride along with it.
It becomes one thing (a particle) if it is observed OR IF IT WILL BE OBSERVED (perhaps I am stating things imperfectly).

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm being a nit and spoiling the fun, but shouldn't at least one of the premises be true?

luckyme

eOXevious
01-07-2006, 12:13 PM
Light is something that man will never fully understand, as also God. The things we think we understand are mostly hypothetical theorys, as also God. The only thing different between light and God.... we won't start an argument about whether light exsists or not.

soon2bepro
01-09-2006, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"every damn one of you" being?

bryan4967
01-09-2006, 05:50 PM
Ha, you damn nit. Let the old man ramble.

tomdemaine
01-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Oh right. A theory about God that doesn't require looking through a giant telescope .... Get back to work!

yukoncpa
01-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Leon Lederman wrote a book called the "God Particle", that I see at Barnes and Nobel all the time. Has anyone read this? I was wondering if this sort of thing is what Mr. Sklansky may be refering to. I found this on the net: www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.04/grid.ht (http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.04/grid.ht)
sorry, I can't make this link work. Just google God particle and look at "racing to the God particle"

DougShrapnel
01-09-2006, 09:52 PM
Clearly, Light is the closest thing to god we know of. Without Light, life would not have been created on this planet. We always use terms to describe "god", those omni ones. But we forget that the current main attribute of god is life-creating. And Light certainly has the most going for it as a "life creator". Maybe water would be second.

The once and future king
01-09-2006, 10:26 PM
Seeing light is a stage in Buddhist meditation.

It is often used as a yardstick of different techniques. As in how long does it take to see light with technique A as opposed to B.

Bataglin
01-10-2006, 08:21 AM
I stumbled upon This link (http://www.swcp.com/~hswift/swc/Fall97/9702russell.html) in a thread at skeptic.com. Related to OPs topic in a spiritual way, it makes an interesting read.

gmrankin
01-10-2006, 08:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Light is something that man will never fully understand, as also God. The things we think we understand are mostly hypothetical theorys, as also God. The only thing different between light and God.... we won't start an argument about whether light exsists or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

you should see how light works (http://science.howstuffworks.com/light1.htm)

I can post more if you want