PDA

View Full Version : Poker, girls, and game selection

Coffee
11-16-2005, 12:22 PM
Seems to me that most guys, once they reach a certain age, understand what I'm about to say already, but...there are still those of my brothers who are disillusioned. This post is based on experience I've gained with much pain and anguish, and also from other sources, notably Dr. Dom and Hobbes.

I must start by disagreeing with Worm. In the poker game of life, women are not the rake. Women are the LAGs. Women are the LAG maniacs who will raise with any hand and in any spot where they feel like they can push people out. Sometimes, they indeed have a hand, but most of the time, they are simply trying to run over the game. The thing is, they are also constantly trying to move up in limits, so as soon as they are able to consistently beat a game, they move on to the bigger tables.

How do we respond? The same way we would respond to a maniac who doesn't know what he is doing...PLAY BACK AT HER. The more you fold, the bolder the woman is going to become, to the point where she will raise preflop every single hand, knowing full well you will fold if the flop doesn't smack you in the face.

We men have to play back at them by coming over the top from the get-go. Vary your play. Reraise them. Checkraise them. Checkraise with the nuts. Checkraise with a bluff. Let them hang themselves with their overaggressive play, because, no matter how good they are at the game(read: how beautiful and perfect they seem), they still get dealt the same cards from the same 52 card deck that you do, and they are still prone to the same runs of variance.

As soon as you hit them with that first checkraise, they are liable to tilt and leave the game. Don't worry...they'll be back, because, deep down, they like the challenge of trying to move up in limits. If you provide a game which they cannot consistently beat, like the bad gamblers they are, THEY WILL BE BACK.

In short, sit tight, stand tall, play your game, vary it according to the situation, but NEVER let them get inside your head and drive you to being weak-tight. Once that happens, they will own you for 100-200BB, then jump the game...because believe me, girls are the ultimate hit-and-run artists, unless you can get'em stuck early.

Eaglesfan1
11-16-2005, 04:06 PM
haha... Good post and good analogies, which all are true. Gotta keep the girls guessing with raises and check-raise bluffs all the time. They'll keep coming back until you lose your ability to get them off there game. Then they move on to higher stakes.

MikeSmith
11-16-2005, 04:18 PM
Ahhh Poker and women analogies....

Show your nuts to them....did i go too far????

ChicagoTroy
11-16-2005, 05:49 PM
This goes in OOT.

Coffee
11-16-2005, 05:52 PM
No, it doesn't...poker is a bannable word in OOT...this is right where it belongs.

vexvelour
11-17-2005, 11:00 AM
So in other words, put that b1tch in her place?

LetYouDown
11-17-2005, 11:13 AM
Is it strange that this post was so cheesy it made the hair on my arms stand up?

sternroolz
11-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Leykis 101.

Every single man out there needs to listen, learn, embrace the advice Leykis gives about men in our society, and what their attitude towards woman and dating and relationships are.

If you have boys, turn them on to Leykis starting at age 14 or so. They will have a tremendous advantage.
[ QUOTE ]
Seems to me that most guys, once they reach a certain age, understand what I'm about to say already, but...there are still those of my brothers who are disillusioned. This post is based on experience I've gained with much pain and anguish, and also from other sources, notably Dr. Dom and Hobbes.

I must start by disagreeing with Worm. In the poker game of life, women are not the rake. Women are the LAGs. Women are the LAG maniacs who will raise with any hand and in any spot where they feel like they can push people out. Sometimes, they indeed have a hand, but most of the time, they are simply trying to run over the game. The thing is, they are also constantly trying to move up in limits, so as soon as they are able to consistently beat a game, they move on to the bigger tables.

How do we respond? The same way we would respond to a maniac who doesn't know what he is doing...PLAY BACK AT HER. The more you fold, the bolder the woman is going to become, to the point where she will raise preflop every single hand, knowing full well you will fold if the flop doesn't smack you in the face.

We men have to play back at them by coming over the top from the get-go. Vary your play. Reraise them. Checkraise them. Checkraise with the nuts. Checkraise with a bluff. Let them hang themselves with their overaggressive play, because, no matter how good they are at the game(read: how beautiful and perfect they seem), they still get dealt the same cards from the same 52 card deck that you do, and they are still prone to the same runs of variance.

As soon as you hit them with that first checkraise, they are liable to tilt and leave the game. Don't worry...they'll be back, because, deep down, they like the challenge of trying to move up in limits. If you provide a game which they cannot consistently beat, like the bad gamblers they are, THEY WILL BE BACK.

In short, sit tight, stand tall, play your game, vary it according to the situation, but NEVER let them get inside your head and drive you to being weak-tight. Once that happens, they will own you for 100-200BB, then jump the game...because believe me, girls are the ultimate hit-and-run artists, unless you can get'em stuck early.

[/ QUOTE ]

Coffee
11-17-2005, 12:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Leykis 101.

Every single man out there needs to listen, learn, embrace the advice Leykis gives about men in our society, and what their attitude towards woman and dating and relationships are.

If you have boys, turn them on to Leykis starting at age 14 or so. They will have a tremendous advantage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh...I agree with Leykis to a certain extent, but I think he takes it overboard, and frankly, there's something a bit ironic about a 48-year-old divorced guy with no children giving relationship advice.

AceHiStation
11-18-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ahhh Poker and women analogies....

Show your nuts to them....did i go too far????

[/ QUOTE ]

...I'd definately flop her set

jordlepop
11-18-2005, 05:12 PM
all his post are cheezy!!!

the post tit le is most retarted of alL!!

Coffee
11-18-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
all his post are cheezy!!!

the post tit le is most retarted of alL!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? All 953 of my post(sic) are cheezy(sic)? Well, all of them use proper grammar and spelling, at least. When you post regularly, not everything you say is going to over as well as you would like. Maybe you'll understand that after more than five entries.

jordlepop
11-18-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, all of them use proper grammar and spelling, at least....not everything you say <font color="red">is going to over</font> as well as you would like.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can see after my 5 postes that this not good gram mer huh?
you are teh suk!!!!!!

Coffee
11-18-2005, 05:52 PM
Damn...I feel the pwn today.

Mason Hellmuth
11-18-2005, 07:41 PM
i /images/graemlins/heart.gif this gimmick

GoCubsGo
11-19-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Leykis 101.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh...I agree with Leykis to a certain extent, but I think he takes it overboard, and frankly, there's something a bit ironic about a 48-year-old divorced guy with no children giving relationship advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Some people just don't get it, do they?

miami32
11-19-2005, 02:42 AM
I thought this post was about women. Now I'm just confused.

ElaineMonster
01-16-2006, 11:57 AM
Don't treat women like humans, treat them like a game. Great advice.

Alex1212
01-16-2006, 01:54 PM
I'm just wondering how you checkraise a woman.

Dan BRIGHT
01-17-2006, 02:58 AM
It really depends what their went to showdown % is here.

After the woman 3bets me on the flop, and I call her down all the way, will my ace high hold up against her busted jack high straight draw?

I think lag is too broad a term, there are many different kinds of lags. Some lags you raise back while others you just let bluff every street.

JKratzer
01-17-2006, 03:31 AM
Making generalizations based on anything regarding a player other than their play is probably a leak.

BigPoppa
01-17-2006, 09:28 PM
I like where your head's at

KaneKungFu123
01-18-2006, 05:05 AM
i have no idea what any of this meant.

_TKO_
01-18-2006, 10:49 AM
1. Generalizing women or LAGs into one category will not get you far in either game.
2. Tend to play passively against tricky opponents and absolute maniacs unless you have a monster. If you usually play aggressively against aggressive and tricky opponents, you'll be spewing a lot more than you should be.
3. I think you misunderstood Worm's statement.

gurgeh
01-18-2006, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i can see after my 5 postes that this not good gram mer huh?
you are teh suk!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Go back to cheating at Counterstrike.

disjunction
01-18-2006, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just wondering how you checkraise a woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

By being passive-aggressive, and it's a bad idea. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

disjunction
01-18-2006, 03:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't treat women like humans, treat them like a game. Great advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not just any game, **POKER**, the game we all love. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, these posts are just people blowing off some steam. For a little while, I at least partly bought into the kind of logic that said you have to be a jerk. A (married) friend of mine said the wisest thing to that when I brought it up. He said "Yeah, but that'll only last a couple of weeks. Eventually she'll realize you're not a jerk, the jig will be up, and she'll move on".

I think guys may have to go through this phase in order to get to the next one. Kind of like Ray Zee's often-quoted essay says. The phase after LAG is Nice But Firm, or something like that.