PDA

View Full Version : Why do even medium buyin MTTs scare me?

BigPoppa
01-07-2006, 02:59 AM
When I multitable limit games, I think nothing of sitting down with $1000 at the my tables (combined). I go through swings where I may drop $300-$400 in under an hour. I don't like this, but I deal with it. My bankroll has just hit five figures.

However, the idea of buying into an MTT over $20 gives me the willies.

I've been playing in the $5 and $10 ones on Pokerroom and have an ROI over 100%. I've read, I've studied, I honestly believe that I've gotten pretty good at MTTs.

Why does moving up scare me?

Why do I look at a buyin for a $100 MTT as something that's just way beyond me? Why do I feel the same way about a $30 one?

Dropping $40 on dinner or $100 doing something cool?
No problem!

Spending the same on a chance at making thousands?
What, are you [censored] crazy?

clevernapkin
01-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Perhaps this is because MTT tables are so high variance. You can be the best tournament player in the world and still have a hard time doing well in tourneys at some point or another.

What I'm getting at is that you might feel uncomfortable with higher buyin MTT's because it's not what you're used to. Sure you can lose a lot playing limit, but you know you'll make it back because you're a good player. With MTT's, if you lose 40 in a row, who says that you're going to win again real soon?

My suggestion is that if you want to play higher buyin MTT's you should practice more lower buyin MTT's and study them more (as opposed to limit). Then, you'll feel more confident when buying in. However, if you feel that you only want to play limit only and MTT's once every so often, then I suggest that you never buy into an MTT that you're unsure of. Perhaps once you're bankroll gets bigger this won't be such a problem.

Best of luck.

napkin

raze
01-07-2006, 02:01 PM
You may simply be intimidated by the prize pool and the prospect of winning 5-figures all at once.

BigPoppa
01-07-2006, 04:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You may simply be intimidated by the prize pool and the prospect of winning 5-figures all at once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it may be that I'm afraid of losing 5 figures all at once.

If I do something stupid playing limit it may cost me a decent chunk of cash; but if I do something stupid playing in an MTT it could cost me a chance at more money than I've ever won.

I think it's this fear of screwing myself out of a win that may be the root of my problem.

Songwind
01-07-2006, 10:35 PM
You can't lose it until it's yours.

runout_mick
01-08-2006, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it may be that I'm afraid of losing 5 figures all at once.

If I do something stupid playing limit it may cost me a decent chunk of cash; but if I do something stupid playing in an MTT it could cost me a chance at more money than I've ever won.

I think it's this fear of screwing myself out of a win that may be the root of my problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Treat it like a lottery ticket. When you buy a lottery ticket, that money, for all purposes, is "gone". If you do win, it's a nice surprise, but you view it all as money you had assumed wasn't coming your way.

Once you're in the tournament, you're no longer playing with money. You're playing FOR money, but you're playing with chips. Chips are just a way of keeping score, like peg holes in a cribbage game, and with no more value than those peg holes. The money's been spent. Bye bye.

Now just play the game.

If you play it well enough, you might just get a nice treat at the end...

Mr. Now
01-08-2006, 10:18 AM
If you have not figured out and settled on an acceptable risk of ruin, and sized your bankroll according to the acceptable ROR and the per-event MTT buyin, your fear of MMT participation is entirely rational.