PDA

View Full Version : PP 5/10 calling raise from SB w/ 99

Woolygimp
01-07-2006, 02:19 AM
I opted to c/r the flop for information. If i was 3-bet I could conclude I was up against a higher pocket pair (occasionally a ten) and could fold the turn while at the same time extracting value from the c-betting overcards.

Is there a more optimal line? Also could I ever fold 99 in there PF? (Probaly wouldn't be optimal considering I'd have position throughout the rest of the hand)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (5 SB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.50 BB) 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 5.50 BB

lightw1thoutheat
01-07-2006, 02:28 AM
i think i play it the same.
nh

Nick C
01-07-2006, 02:29 AM
Since I'm playing, I would probably 3-bet preflop to encourage BB to get out.

But your call worked out. And the flop checkraise looks good.

You'll run into some 5/10 players who will 3-bet you on the flop with overcards, so I don't think you can safely assume you're up against an overpair if you face continued aggression, exactly.

UTG wasn't an aggressive overcard player -- in this hand, in any case -- but you are going to encounter more of them at 5/10 than at, say, 3/6. So it's something to be aware of and watch out for, I guess I'm saying.

When you're up against an opponent and feel you can't get reliable information with the line you took in this hand, then check-calling the flop and turn starts looking attractive.

Woolygimp
01-07-2006, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

You'll run into some 5/10 players who will 3-bet you on the flop with overcards, so I don't think you can safely assume you're up against an overpair if you face continued aggression, exactly.

UTG wasn't an aggressive overcard player -- in this hand, in any case -- but you are going to encounter more of them at 5/10 than at, say, 3/6. So it's something to be aware of and watch out for, I guess I'm saying.

When you're up against an opponent and feel you can't get reliable information with the line you took in this hand, then check-calling the flop and turn starts looking attractive.

[/ QUOTE ]

How effective would lead/3-betting and slowing down if capped be?

Nick C
01-07-2006, 02:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How effective would lead/3-betting and slowing down if capped be?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would lead if I 3-bet preflop (well, unless Villain capped). And I think it would look like I was in trouble if I got raised, but I would probably call-down anyway, without a read (unless an ace appeared on the turn or river).

Anyway, I prefer your flop checkraise to a lead/3-bet. Partly this is because it seems unnecessary, in a way, to lead a street that Villain is going to auto-bet. Still, a bet/3-bet line does have its place, versus someone who is going to auto-raise (and they do exist). However, a bet/3-bet line followed by a calldown in the face of further aggression seems like a lot of action to be putting in, versus an UTG raise.

Hell, I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out 5/10 aggression myself. (And I find that when I don't know where I'm at or how to find out, I do more checking and calling than I used to.)