PDA

View Full Version : Stud8 - Day 7, Hand 8: (KK)A bets over and over again

Aaron W.
01-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Am I way off course with these big pair in the hole with a low kicker hands?

I don't know if I was right to bet as much as I did this hand even though I could see three of the four aces. 5th street is scary for them, so I figured one more bet might be good. Then it was heads up and I bet again, hoping villain didn't have a better high hand yet (giving a free card is probably bad).

I'm also not sure if I was right to check the river after leading the whole way. After he called the bet on 6th with my board and action being very intimidating, I figured he was going to show down his hand. I've included the results for no reason other than amusement. I lose the hand in the battle of the third kicker.

7 Card Stud High-Low ($0.25/$0.50), Ante $0.05, Bring-In $0.10 (converter (http://j.1asphost.com/greenage))

3rd Street - (1.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif___calls___calls
Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___raises
Seat 4: xx xx J/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___calls
Seat 7: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/club.gif___calls___calls

4th Street - (7.60 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___calls
Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___calls
Seat 6: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___folds

5th Street - (5.80 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___calls
Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___folds

6th Street - (7.80 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___calls
Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets

River - (9.80 BB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif xx___checks
Hero: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif T/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks

Total pot: (9.80 BB)

Seat 2: [Ks Ad 9s Kc Th 8d 3h] (HI: a pair of Kings)
Hero: [Kh Kd As 3c 2s Ts 7h]

Alchemist
01-07-2006, 01:30 AM
While you probably have the bet high hand on 3rd, I don't raise here because you got 3 limpers in front with lousy door cards. A raise won't get any of them to fold and only result in a bloated pot.

I'd probably bet 4th to see what everyone does and try and get rid of people.

5th, you don't have a great hand but it's hard not to bet it because it sure looks scary.

Check 6th, just because you're going to a showdown and your hand isn't that great and don't even have a low draw now.

Definitely check the river.

Hope you took plenty of notes on this guy; mostly along the lines of: this guy is a complete moran calling station.

I've found the in low limits, and low buy-in tournaments where you'll come across people who are real unfamiliar with stud/8 that they don't see the strength in the low hand. i.e. It's a bad idea to bet into them when showing two babies on 4th without the goods (a good 4 card low) because you WILL get called/raised.

getfunky
01-07-2006, 01:44 AM
big pairs lose their value in a crowd. be leery of entering the pot when several low limpers abound. you're a favorite against any one of them but together, the mixed bag of small pairs and low draws will kill the value of your hand, namely having the best high hand with no lows completed.

alchemist wisely points out that limping might be a better play, as it's easier to thin the field with a smaller pot on 4th st. and you might look at a scary board and decide to smartly check/fold. however not entering the pot at all is a better choice if you're less experienced.

mscags
01-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Looks fine to me. I would bet the river because a lot of opponents will put you on a low hand and call with weak high hands.

mscags
01-07-2006, 05:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
big pairs lose their value in a crowd. be leery of entering the pot when several low limpers abound. you're a favorite against any one of them but together, the mixed bag of small pairs and low draws will kill the value of your hand, namely having the best high hand with no lows completed.

alchemist wisely points out that limping might be a better play, as it's easier to thin the field with a smaller pot on 4th st. and you might look at a scary board and decide to smartly check/fold. however not entering the pot at all is a better choice if you're less experienced.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm raising this on third every time. Sure it is multiway but look at who has limped in front of you: 9-J-9. The raise is more for value than it is to clear the field. Not to mention you have an ace and can outplay your opponents later on in the hand.

Andy B
01-08-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm with Scags on this one although I'd probably check the river. With people limping in with crap door cards, you're giving up too much if you don't raise third. Who knows, maybe you'll get the low cards out and this will turn into a one-way hand.