PDA

View Full Version : Hayes Quits South Park - Religious Differences

TomCollins
03-13-2006, 06:23 PM
Hayes Quits South Park (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060313/ap_en_tv/people_isaac_hayes)

[ QUOTE ]
Last November, "South Park" targeted the Church of Scientology and its celebrity followers, including actors Tom Cruise and John Travolta, in a top-rated episode called "Trapped in the Closet." In the episode, Stan, one of the show's four mischievous fourth graders, is hailed as a reluctant savior by Scientology leaders, while a cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out.

Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

[/ QUOTE ]

Man I love Stone and Parker.

madnak
03-13-2006, 06:34 PM
Why are people scientologists? Why? How can they believe that [censored]? If anything, scientology should have a harder time than other religions. "Intolerance," dear lord.

AJFenix
03-13-2006, 06:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why are people scientologists? Why? How can they believe that [censored]? If anything, scientology should have a harder time than other religions. "Intolerance," dear lord.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even know what scientology is?

hmkpoker
03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
That sucks, but kudos to Stone for having the good sense to say:

[ QUOTE ]
Stone told The AP he and co-creator Trey Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology. He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin."

[/ QUOTE ]

Trey and Matt are champions of the first amendment, and South Park, though many disagree, is imho one of the most insightful shows on TV (in addition to being one of the most entertaining /images/graemlins/smile.gif )

hmkpoker
03-13-2006, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even know what scientology is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. It's crap. (http://www.scientology.org/)

TomCollins
03-13-2006, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The same way most religions recruit people.
1) Find people who are in some kind of crisis.
2) Make them feel like it is their fault.
3) Explain that they are powerless to do something about it.
4) Give them the "answers".
5) Extract $$$$.

madnak
03-13-2006, 07:08 PM
I know better than most scientologists. Because I've read stuff most scientologists aren't allowed to read until they reach a certain "Operating Thetan Level." This includes martians, body thetans, Teegeeack, Xenu, and DC-8 planes.

tolbiny
03-13-2006, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know better than most scientologists. Because I've read stuff most scientologists aren't allowed to read until they reach a certain "Operating Thetan Level." This includes martians, body thetans, Teegeeack, Xenu, and DC-8 planes.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the big name Hollywwod types into it, Scientology is becoming a good career move if nothing else.

hmkpoker
03-13-2006, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With all the big name Hollywwod types into it, Scientology is becoming a good career move if nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dammit, whatever happened to good ol' fashion skepticism?

ffredd
03-13-2006, 08:45 PM
For those who don't know what scientology is, I recommend the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

For those who are too busy playing poker to read the whole article, I recommend that you at least read the section about Xenu.

AJFenix
03-13-2006, 09:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

W O W. After googling around for a few minutes for some of that stuff, I was floored. I read through one of their booklets and always thought scientology preached basic things like hygiene, respecting yourself and other people, etc.. I guess I'm the one that didn't know WTF it was. Do scientologists really believe this other crap?

madnak
03-13-2006, 09:41 PM
Yes. But when you join Scientology it is mostly tame stuff. They get into the creepy stuff more and more as you progress. I think that has to do with how it has gained a following. They don't knock you over the head with aliens until you're already committed.

It's also a sweet racket. They charge extensive fees for their services.

evolvedForm
03-13-2006, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

W O W. After googling around for a few minutes for some of that stuff, I was floored. I read through one of their booklets and always thought scientology preached basic things like hygiene, respecting yourself and other people, etc.. I guess I'm the one that didn't know WTF it was. Do scientologists really believe this other crap?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, the South Park episode in question made great light of this hilarious belief system. As they described all the crazy [censored] Hubbard dreamed up about the origins of the universe, the bottom of the screen read in big letters: SCIENTOLOGISTS ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS - because it truly seemed like another far-fetched South Park plot.

On a side note, God I love South Park. It is far and away the best show on TV, as much for its humor as for its ability to point out the riduculous stupidity of so many diverse peoples /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

hmkpoker
03-13-2006, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, the South Park episode in question made great light of this hilarious belief system. As they described all the crazy [censored] Hubbard dreamed up about the origins of the universe, the bottom of the screen read in big letters: SCIENTOLOGISTS ACTUALLY BELIEVE THIS - because it truly seemed like another far-fetched South Park plot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw that, and it was pretty hilarious. Do you know of a link that actually describes the scientology "creation" beliefs though? I know SP said that that's what they actually believe, I'm just not terribly confident in Trey and Matt getting all the facts straight.

BTW- Bring back the boobs, evolvedform! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

madnak
03-13-2006, 11:06 PM
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Secrets/index.html

MidGe
03-14-2006, 12:13 AM
For those interested the South Park episode in question can be donloaded in avi or rn format here (http://www.xenu.net/). Under "what is going on now" heading.

mmbt0ne
03-14-2006, 01:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. But when you join Scientology it is mostly tame stuff. They get into the creepy stuff more and more as you progress. I think that has to do with how it has gained a following. They don't knock you over the head with aliens until you're already committed.

It's also a sweet racket. They charge extensive fees for their services.

[/ QUOTE ]

$19,500 for that Xenu story you just alluded to.

evolvedForm
03-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Your wish is granted. But if you get carpel tunnel, it's not my fault /images/graemlins/smile.gif

BCPVP
03-14-2006, 02:45 AM
Hopefully no scientologists are reading this as their inclination to insane beliefs are only matched by their quickness to file lawsuits against those who attack their beliefs.

I know some here don't believe in religion, but it would seem that for everyone but scientologists, huge red flags and alarms should be going off when the founder of your religion is also a science fiction writer and your creation story sounds exactly how a science fiction book would go. Then there's that whole business about Hubbard being quoted as saying the easiest way to get rich was to start a religion. Danger Will Robinson, Danger!

spoohunter
03-14-2006, 02:52 AM
Scientologists are terrible. They sued slashdot when their horribleness was revealed.

hmkpoker
03-14-2006, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hopefully no scientologists are reading this

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's a safe bet /images/graemlins/smile.gif

peritonlogon
03-14-2006, 05:17 AM
if you're going to pay someone a lot of money for providing yourself with a service and believe some crap that some guy made up, it might as well be more contemporary story with a more contemporary billing system.

PoBoy321
03-14-2006, 05:25 AM
From the Scientology site:

[ QUOTE ]
The word Scientology literally means "the study of truth." It comes from the Latin word "scio" meaning "knowing in the fullest sense of the word" and the Greek word "logos" meaning "study of."

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, that's the wrongest sentence I ever heard!