PDA

View Full Version : JJ on the Button

theRabbit
01-06-2006, 07:30 PM
This is my first post so please excuse the format. (Constructive criticism welcome)

3/6 live game. The table is very loose and passive. Everyone seems to be in an OK to Good mood.

You are on the button. 4 limpers (UTG, MP1, MP2, CO)
in front of you.

What action do you take with (fold, call or raise)

Hypothetical 1: TT ?
Hypothetical 2: QQ ?
Hypothetical 3: KK ?
Hypothetical 4: AA ?

Actual JJ

Action 1?

------------------------------------------

You bet. The two blinds and 4 limpers call.

FLOP is KK7 - Rainbow. It is checked around to you.
Action 2?

You bet.

Hypothetical 5: It goes

SB: fold
BB: call
UTG: reraise
MP1: fold
MP2: call
CO: call

Your action?

Actual - If it matters, same sequence except reraiser had just recently check raised on the turn with a runner,runner draw (folding on river).

Action 3?

You raise again. Reraiser and MP1 call. Everyone else folds.

TURN is 3C. (One of the K's is another club for possible runner runner flush)

Check, Check

Action 4?

You bet and are check raised by UTG. MP1 folds. You call.

RIVER is 5H - UTG bets.
Action 5?

You call. UTG turns over KH,7H and wins with full house.

HELP? Are there there clear mistakes here or are the actions somewhat close.

Nick Royale
01-06-2006, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are on the button. 4 limpers (UTG, MP1, MP2, CO)
in front of you.

What action do you take with (fold, call or raise)

Hypothetical 1: TT ?
Hypothetical 2: QQ ?
Hypothetical 3: KK ?
Hypothetical 4: AA ?

[/ QUOTE ]
I raise all of them.

[ QUOTE ]
Actual JJ

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop, bet the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
Hypothetical 5: It goes

SB: fold
BB: call
UTG: reraise
MP1: fold
MP2: call
CO: call

Your action?

[/ QUOTE ]
Call.

[ QUOTE ]
Actual - If it matters, same sequence except reraiser had just recently check raised on the turn with a runner,runner draw (folding on river).

Action 3?

[/ QUOTE ]
I call. A read based on 1 hand doesn't change my mind.

[ QUOTE ]
You raise again. Reraiser and MP1 call. Everyone else folds.

TURN is 3C. (One of the K's is another club for possible runner runner flush)

Check, Check

Action 4?

[/ QUOTE ]
Bet.

[ QUOTE ]
You bet and are check raised by UTG. MP1 folds. I fold .

RIVER is 5H - UTG bets.
Action 5?

You call. UTG turns over KH,7H and wins with full house.

[/ QUOTE ]
The turn call makes action 5 a must call.

Nick C
01-06-2006, 07:51 PM
Preflop, I would raise all of the hands (AA-TT) that you mention.

Your flop bet is good. You don't want to be giving any stray aces or queens a free card. The checkraise is unfortunate, though, given the number of opponents you have, it's also not exactly shocking. At the same time, given the source of the checkraise, it's also not a tragedy.

In any case, I think I'd just call, waiting to see the turn action, when I'm likely to call a single bet from the same guy but won't call two bets. And, to be honest, I'm mostly hoping to spike jacks full (and I do have the odds to chase, in this huge pot). There are a lot of people in and two flop cold-callers, so I'm not particularly optimistic, at this point.

On the turn, it's hard not to bet when checked to. But you did increase your chances of getting checked to with your flop 3-bet. And although it's possible one of your two remaining opponents picked up a flush draw on the turn, how likely is it really? Would UTG have been checkraising already on the flop with a backdoor flush draw? Would MP be cold-calling with just a runner-runner draw? I guess maybe, and 7cXc is possible too, but most likely no one has a flush draw.

Anyway, I'd probably call your LAG opponent down, like you did. Earlier, though, I don't think you should have 3-bet the flop. You're in good position to call and see if anyone besides the LAG wakes up on the turn before you have to act, and I think you should make use of that.

theRabbit
01-07-2006, 09:41 PM
Thanks for the inputs which I have found useful.

My thoughts were that the pot was getting large so I should do whatever I could to thin the field. (Which was hard to do at this table).

I fear though that there may have been too much wishfull thinking on my part. The possability that UTG did not have a K seems remote as it would be too odd for him to put in the third raise without it. If I take that view I am probably best of folding (and acting like i was trying a bluff) after his check raise. This would have saved me $21. Isn't hind sight great.

Nick C
01-07-2006, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If I take that view I am probably best of folding (and acting like i was trying a bluff) after his check raise. This would have saved me $21. Isn't hind sight great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you should at least peel on the flop. You're getting 20:1. This isn't quite enough, in terms of immediate odds, to chase a jack (if you know for certain that's what you need), but you do have some implied odds.

However, in this particular case, hitting a jack would be horrible (since Villain had kings full with K7). But you won't be drawing to running jacks very often.