PDA

View Full Version : overcards - anyone play it differently?

n.s.
01-06-2006, 04:31 PM
Live 8-16. 8 handed at the time.

MP1 seems like a solid, thinking player. MP2 is sorta tight-passive, but cold-calls too much PF and occasionally will make ill-timed agressive moves post-flop. BB is an idiot lagfish on tilt.

PF Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif
2 folds, <font color="red">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">BB caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif (4 players, 16.5 SB)
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn J/images/graemlins/spade.gif(7/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif) (4 players, 8 BB)

River K/images/graemlins/spade.gif(J/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif) (4 players, 8 BB)
<font color="red">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

WalkAmongUs
01-06-2006, 04:39 PM
the flop pot is pretty freakin big. you are against 3 opponents, but with a pot that size I'd throw out a bet.

the way you played it, once the turn is checked through, i would definitely bet.

on the river, I raise since you beat most anything that could be out against you except A10 or MAYBE KJ. Anything else that beats you at this point would have been HORRIBLY misplayed.

SoCalPat
01-06-2006, 04:50 PM
I'll assume MP2 and MP3 are the same player. Sometimes they're in the hand, sometimes not.

Your reads seem solid, the pot is huge and you've got position. Additionally, you can use the BB's tiltish tendencies to thin the field, should he decide to raise with a hand inferior to yours, of which he most assuredly has. Plus, by betting here, you will likely get checked to on the turn, as anyone who improves big on the turn will look to C/R you.

Bet this flop. Check the turn unimproved, call the river.

Hank_Scorpio
01-06-2006, 05:00 PM
I am definitely betting this flop. To me, this is a classic situation where you would bet with overcards - the board is ragged and there was lots of action preflop, then silence on the flop.

ncboiler
01-06-2006, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Live 8-16. 8 handed at the time.

MP1 seems like a solid, thinking player. MP2 is sorta tight-passive, but cold-calls too much PF and occasionally will make ill-timed agressive moves post-flop. BB is an idiot lagfish on tilt.

PF Hero is MP3 with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gifK/images/graemlins/club.gif
2 folds, <font color="red">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, 2 folds, <font color="red">BB caps</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif (4 players, 16.5 SB)

Turn J/images/graemlins/spade.gif(7/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif) (4 players, 8 BB)

River K/images/graemlins/spade.gif(J/images/graemlins/spade.gif7/images/graemlins/heart.gif2/images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ/images/graemlins/club.gif) (4 players, 8 BB)
<font color="red">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the turn. Why not raise the river? What could MP1 have that beats you?

RyanCMU
01-06-2006, 05:38 PM
Bet this flop...Huge pot checked to you, you should be firing one off here. If its checked to me again on the turn, im firing again too....

Now if we have played the hand the above mentioned way the river action would probably be different.

But, on this river with that action Im raising here and calling a 3bet.

ReptileHouse
01-06-2006, 05:58 PM
I bet the flop, check behind on the turn and bet the river.

n.s.
01-06-2006, 06:11 PM
SoCal - you're right, everywhere I said MP3, I meant MP2 instead. I really like the idea of betting the flop and hoping BB would CR. His cap PF meant basically nothing, and he is the kind of player that would CR (trying to "make a move") hands that he wouldn't bet. If he cleared the field, I would be happy to simply call him down UI.

I didn't bet the flop because the pot was so huge that anyone with any kind of hand would call down. MP1 and MP2 checking smelled like one of them had a PP lower than Qs, and wanted to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. Even so, betting for a free river card makes a lot of sense thinking about it now.

On the river (given the way I played it) I actually like my call. The problem is that MP1 is a decent hand-reader, and it's extremely easy to put me on exactly AK after my PF 3-bet and subsequent checking (I had a tight image). The pot's too big to fold, but I didn't feel like my winning chances were all that good.

thanks to all for the input

Nick Royale
01-06-2006, 06:46 PM
I bet the flop. If I get more than 1 caller I check the turn with the intention of folding the river UI. HU I bet/call the turn.

W. Deranged
01-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Throwing out 1 SB in an 8 BB pot on a ragged flop where you may have the best hand and can improve your chance of winning seems clearly correct to me.

So bet the flop. Consider firing against on the turn if you lose some people on the flop.

The problem with checking behind the turn is that you may have to call a river bet anyway since the pot is huge (note your read on both MP2 and BB). It's probably better to put that single bet in on the turn rather than the flop.

The problem with firing again on the turn is you might get check-raised. If you do, play some poker. Those sorts of situations are tough to speculate about without knowing how the flop would have gone and so forth.

deleteduser
01-07-2006, 03:20 AM
bet flop duhhh