PDA

View Full Version : Artificail Life given a Latin taxonomic name by biologists

DougShrapnel
03-10-2006, 03:47 AM
Will it happen.

The arguement is one made by Bruce F Damer

[ QUOTE ]
Damer's Argument:
If life is evolving code in interplay with its environment, then the increasingly complex technological code in Cyberspace, Robotspace, or Devicespace might be seen as akin to a prototype living system evolving within the human environment.
Hogwash! You may say, “Our technology is all built and maintained by people, and everything there is therefore artificial.” You might also follow up with the challenge: is a computer virus really alive? We might ask in return: is a flu virus really alive? Where does the machine end and the living form start? Is life simply a level of complexity so that once the system becomes opaque and unpredictable enough it is alive? Is life the ability of any entity to effect self repairs or self reproduction? Is life about populations in a dynamic dance within an ecosystem?

Would the skeptics be convinced if the Yes camp came up with compelling examples of "made" environments exhibiting lifelike properties? Of course, how you define lifelike is very much an open issue. We believe however that despite all this, eager engineers, like the alchemists of old, would quit their day jobs to labor on winning this bet. They would say: it may be really tough to define consciousness or master the vagaries of natural language and cognition to pass the Turing test (see Mitch Kapor and Ray Kurzweil's bet [2]), but with 22 years and Moore's Law on our side, surely we can recreate a cell in silico, or yea, even successfully code up a slime mold! Isn't life in the small just a bunch of squishy machines running chemical algorithms? The nerds would conclude, “This will be a piece of cake!”

Detractors might then retort that software is much too brittle to represent the complex actions of genes or proteins and Cyberspace or any other technospace is much too incomplete and impoverished an environment to stimulate authentic evolution. Other critics might cast out the whole enterprise as being nothing more than game like simulations of trivial cases of authentic living systems.

But what if, one day, something completely unpredictable began to happen in our networks? What if the emergent properties within some piece of technology just piled up high enough that we were confounded to explain a behavior? Would this then be a kind of “first contact”? Or would we be fooled yet again by glitches gone wild and woolly? Yes, reboot that server, stop that daemon, unplug that device, and the phenomenon goes away. But what if it returns somewhere else in a slightly improved form (without a hacker somewhere making the changes)? Is this happening already? Will it happen even if we don’t try to create it?

What does this all mean?

If you sense a kernel of truth in all this, you might ask: “So what does this all mean?” Life seems to have progressed over 4 billion years through a series of steps to ever-higher energy and complexity states. Why should we doubt that life intends to penetrate into further frontiers even using us as a surrogate? Dawkins' selfish genes might express a planetary-strength will to reproduce whole biospheres (a la Dorian Sagan) thereby getting all the proverbial eggs out of one basket. The Earth is a tomb for life the day the sun starts to fuse helium.

Blind watchmaking or not, the products of evolution are highly innovative and human intelligence may be handing the ultimate survival invention to Earth life: the coding of living systems, their replication and travel through space free of the limits of mass, molecules and chemical reactions.

Or in other words, it is much easier to escape the Earth's gravity well if your blueprints don’t weigh anything. As Freeman Dyson’s open bet [3] posits, life might be found on the small chunks of ice and rock surrounding our solar systems. The surface area of these small objects vastly exceeds any planetary real estate. If some form of Earth life is to get a foothold here, it would have to be fleet of foot and able to overcome the separation of a trillion trillion islands tumbling in a hard vacuum.

Human beings and almost any other Earth life bigger than a bacterium are unsuited for such places. So the future shape of successful life outside the biosphere may necessarily be some weird techno-biological hybrid. Crude early examples of this model at work include the crippled Galieo Jupiter spacecraft, which obtained a new “brain” (and way of seeing) beamed to it as software code en route to the Jovian system.

A greater meaning for this bet?

So what is the meaning of this bet? Is it simply a challenge to get the "A" out of "A-Life" or something much larger? Is it a challenge to humanity to recognize that it can be a conscious and willing partner in the next step on the long journey of Terran life?

And where in all this fits human intelligence and our species? Dawkins also tantalizes us with concepts of memes, ideas as life forms reproducing from mind to mind. Information technology serves humans as a cultivator of memes. It might be fair to speculate that out of our will to open new pathways for life new forms would emerge that are both memetic and genetic in nature, coexisting with human minds at home and out there in the universe.

Getting down off this soapbox of out-there theories, we invite input and discussion from the skeptics, fence sitters, and the Yes and No camps alike. Being realistic, even with 22 years to go, winning this bet would be a marathon effort, but why keep the biosphere waiting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sharkey
03-10-2006, 03:59 AM
Life is to “lifelike” as making love is to masturbation.

DougShrapnel
03-10-2006, 04:08 AM
What are the properties of life?

DougShrapnel
03-10-2006, 07:02 AM
Lets assume that properties of life include.

1) Autonomous Replication
2) Life had an Origin
3) Life exhibits EMERGENT PROPERTIES
4) Life requires a Critical Level of COMPLEXITY
5) Life exhibits biochemical autonomy, i.e., it carries on metabolism
6) Life is manifest in the CELL

Which ones of these would we not be able to check that box next to in regards to AI.

Do any of these presuppose that all "life" is similiar to the life form we know about created from 1 type of evolutionary process?

Borodog
03-10-2006, 02:25 PM
No, artificial life will not be given a latin taxonomic classification, at least not a meaningful one.

You can classify anything. You can name anything. The really interesting thing about life is that it is the only set of things (living organisms) that have a unique "correct" system of classification. Because organic life is related by common ancestry*, it exhibits so-called "perfect nesting" in the hierarchy. All organisms within group share a common ancestor with each other and hence share certain characteristics distinct from other groups that did not share that common ancestor.

Cars, on the other hand, have many distinct characteristics and can be classified. But there is nothing that makes one scheme of classification inherently more correct than any other. Different classification schemes might be better suited for different purposes. While this might also be true of life (you can classify life by tastiness, for example), that does not change the fact tat life has a unique correct ordering that explains all kinds of things that beg for explanation, like genetypes, phenotypes, etc.

*Well, there appears to be some muddiness in the days of yore, like the eukaryotic cell, and possible "chimeras" during the Cambrian Explosion.

Sharkey
03-10-2006, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Life is manifested in an efficiently directed convergence of action that is impossible to account for in terms of physical phenomena alone, such as evidenced by a pocket watch found in the sand, a bee hive, “Cogito ergo sum” etc.

NoamChomsky
03-10-2006, 04:32 PM
I've never really been able to see a meaningful distinction between life and non life, aside from complexity.

Sharkey
03-10-2006, 07:02 PM
What about the distinction between life and death?

KeysrSoze
03-10-2006, 07:27 PM
What about it? Like he said, the distinction isn't all that clear. Look at fire. It eats, breathes, excretes, and reproduces (in a fashion), yet its considered just a chemical reaction. The same could be said about the life cycle of a cell, but a lot more complicated. Where do you draw the line between an ember and a spark of life?

Sharkey
03-10-2006, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you draw the line between an ember and a spark of life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Metaphor aside, there is a Grand Canyon separating the two.

An exothermic reaction can be described and reproduced in terms of atomic levels, binding energy and ionic charge.

Life, on the other hand, manifests itself indivisibly and cannot be reduced to physically isolatable phenomena.

KeysrSoze
03-10-2006, 10:22 PM
Thats the point, it cannot be reduced to physically isolatable phenomena because "life" is all semantics. Theres nothing special about it. You just think of everything in black and white (or are pretending you do), and sublety is lost on you. Yes there is a Grand Canyon of separation between a fire and humans, for instance, but is a retrovirus alive? Is double-stranded RNA? Is one more alive than the other or is it an absolute, "this is alive, this isn't, don't question me I know everything". We all know where you stand. That arrogance leads to thinking an egg fertilized 1 minute ago is the equivalant of a 20 year old, that a hominid skull just dug up is absolutely a human or absolutely an ape (despite an equal number of creationists insisting that it is an ape as those insisting that it is human), And you're either going to suffer infinite pain forever if you don't accept Jesus Christ as your saviour (despite those never hearing about him or dying before he was even born) or you'll be on cloud 9 with the few and the proud for eternity if you do. Shades of grey, man, thats my philosophy.

Speaking of life and death, I should stop this pointlessness and get on to killing some brain cells.

Sharkey
03-10-2006, 10:42 PM
You’re not very logical, but just for kicks:

Regarding viruses etc, that argument is a canard. The point is not that some “living” things are not unambiguously distinct from non-life, but that so many species are so distinct.

I’ll skip over the rest of your sophomoric assumptions about me personally and put a question to you in an attempt at some kind of intelligent debate.

What is your best example of an activity peculiar to an unambiguously living entity that can be accounted for in terms of physical phenomena alone?

HLMencken
03-10-2006, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You’re not very logical, but just for kicks:

Regarding viruses etc, that argument is a canard. The point is not that some “living” things are not unambiguously distinct from non-life, but that so many species are so distinct.

I’ll skip over the rest of your sophomoric assumptions about me personally and put a question to you in an attempt at some kind of intelligent debate.

What is your best example of an activity peculiar to an unambiguously living entity that can be accounted for in terms of physical phenomena alone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you even know what you are typing anymore?

He just made his case that there may be no black and white distinctions, and your rebuttal is for him to list his best example of such an "activity peculiar to an unambiguously" blah blah blah. His whole point was that these activities are neither peculiar nor unambiguous.

But at least YOU are logical.

KeysrSoze
03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I just told you, there are none. Life is a semantic illusion. A person is alive, and a rock is not, because thats the way we chose to define their state.

As for this
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Good luck with that.

Sharkey
03-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Are you devolving into a complete imbecile, or is it your considered opinion that there is no such thing as the “unambiguously living entity” premised in my question?

KeysrSoze
03-10-2006, 11:02 PM
Ok, name me an unambiguously living entity.

Sharkey
03-10-2006, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A person is alive, and a rock is not, because thats the way we chose to define their state.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you asserting that consciousness is not a property exclusive to living organisms?

KeysrSoze
03-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Living organs have consciousness?

hrrm , misspelling again

KeysrSoze
03-10-2006, 11:08 PM
oh, organisms. So something living has to have consciousness?

HLMencken
03-10-2006, 11:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you devolving into a complete imbecile, or is it your considered opinion that there is no such thing as the “unambiguously living entity” premised in my question?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not claiming anything. You are the one asking another poster who says "there is no black or white" for an example of something that is unambiguously black.

This suggests that you may be the imbecile.

By the way, your post may have been an ad hominem attack--but that's okay.

DougShrapnel
03-10-2006, 11:51 PM
Boro, do you think "perfect nesting" could be a consequence of our limited knowledge of possible evolutionary processes, as opposed to a feature of all possible life?

flatline
03-10-2006, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't it time for someone to ban this troll already?

HLMencken
03-11-2006, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Life is manifested in an efficiently directed convergence of action that is impossible to account for in terms of physical phenomena alone, such as evidenced by a pocket watch found in the sand, a bee hive, “Cogito ergo sum” etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one asked for physical phenomena alone. What are the properties of life?

Hopey
03-11-2006, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a baseless ad hominem attack. Accipere quam facere praestat injuriam!

KeysrSoze
03-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Well since he's not responding anymore I can't follow up on my line of questioning, damn. I don't get where he's going with this consciousness thing. So, humans have consciousness, and are considered alive. Would he consider a computer that displays consciousness alive? Whats the point of this argument anyway? Its like if you are debating if there is a set point where a hill becomes a mountain, and his argument is "Hey, look at that Mt. Everest, now thats a mountain! Therefore mountains manifest themselves indivisibly and cannot be reduced to physically isolatable phenomena."

Veni, vidi, vici. Vae victis! Fiat lux.
Sadly all the latin I know.

HLMencken
03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well since he's not responding anymore I can't follow up on my line of questioning, damn. I don't get where he's going with this consciousness thing. So, humans have consciousness, and are considered alive. Would he consider a computer that displays consciousness alive? Whats the point of this argument anyway? Its like if you are debating if there is a set point where a hill becomes a mountain, and his argument is "Hey, look at that Mt. Everest, now thats a mountain! Therefore mountains manifest themselves indivisibly and cannot be reduced to physically isolatable phenomena."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really agree with that. Life is more mysterious to me than merely accepting I am a complex rock.

Hopey
03-11-2006, 12:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Well since he's not responding anymore

[/ QUOTE ]

It's almost midnight, so it's well passed his bed-time. Of course, it isn't a school night, so maybe his mom will let him stay up later.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here ya go! (http://www.yuni.com/library/latin.html)

Sharkey
03-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Are you conscious?

Sharkey
03-11-2006, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Can’t you read?

Borodog
03-11-2006, 04:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boro, do you think "perfect nesting" could be a consequence of our limited knowledge of possible evolutionary processes, as opposed to a feature of all possible life?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, there is some muddiness in the perfect nesting idea. The eukaryotic cell is theorized to have come about through the combination of distinct lineages of multiple organisms (that became the cell organelles). Also, some people have hypothesized that the reason that a lot of the fossils in the Cambrian Explosion look like crazy chimeras is that they were in fact crazy chimeras; the results of cross fertilizations of species that had not yet evolved genetic coherence mechanisms that protected against that sort of thing. During the Cambrian adaptive radiation, such chimerization might even have been positively adaptive (since there were so many niches available to be filled). But as competition rachetted up, such chimerizations become detrimental and are selected against. As the complexity of the genetic code goes up (as it must tend to, because there is a lower barrier on complexity), it becomes almost impossible for such chimerizations to occur. Species have to be really rather closely related these days to produce mules, ligers, wolphins, humanzees and the like. OK, I was kidding with the last one.

DougShrapnel
03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Besides the 2 points you mentioned about murkyness, I think that the entire evolutionary process isn't enough for us to say that all life is "pefectly nested". We only know about one process for life creation. To think that what we know of on earth is a full set of life seems to underestimate the polymorphism inherent life. There is likely other ways for life to be created. Silicon life might be one of these. The main reason I think that life will be given a name by biologists, is that certain strands will, of no doubt, be worthy of study, in order to beter understand how we got here and evolutionary processes. I have a pet wolphin, fantastic animal. I think mine is only 1/3 wolf tho.