PDA

View Full Version : So why can't I fold to a raise?

AA Suited
01-06-2006, 02:18 PM
$50+5 SnG
25/50 blinds

I raise to 150 with AQo in MP1. BB calls. (both stacks ~900 chips, and no reads).

Flop = 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif

I bet 2/3pot, he check raises the minimal. I insta-PUSH.

No thought what so ever. I just typed in 9999 and pushed.

Why do i not take the time re-evaluate my situation instead of acting like i had Quads.

And any suggestions on how to change my behavior? (been doing this for the past year -> over 3000 SnGs)

Songwind
01-06-2006, 02:23 PM
Well, it's hard to note the important times for consideration while they're happening, so what I had to do is establish a set of steps to go through on EVERY decision. That way you'll automatically slow down to consider them when you're in a big hand, not just when everything is marginal or crappy.

A_C_Slater
01-06-2006, 03:03 PM
What is your other option? Call and induce possible bluffs?
No reads? Does a mini raise alway's have to be a monster? This seems like results oriented thinking to me, if he insta calls and has a set. This isn't a deep stacked situation here.

Kurn, son of Mogh
01-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Huh? Lets review. Hero raise preflop, BB calls. BB check-raises hero on an A-high flop.

I'm having a real hard time making a case that TP is good here.

AA Suited
01-06-2006, 07:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, it's hard to note the important times for consideration while they're happening, so what I had to do is establish a set of steps to go through on EVERY decision. That way you'll automatically slow down to consider them when you're in a big hand, not just when everything is marginal or crappy.

[/ QUOTE ]

can you list your set of steps?

RiverDood
01-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Songwind may have a better list, but this one has saved me all kinds of bustouts:

1. Remember, TPTK is not always the best hand after a flop.

2. Stop, stop, stop -- and think why someone is playing back at your sturdy bet with TPTK. Could Villain have a set? Could he have a straight? Could he have two pair?

3. Are you willing to be all in by the river to find out?

It's painful, but if I answer those questions very slowly, as if I were some sort of glue-sniffing retard in the witness box in a murder trial, it greatly reduces my rate of needless bustouts in tourneys.

BigPoppa
01-07-2006, 03:05 AM
Folding a good made hand when I know I'm beat is a real problem for me. It's probably my biggest remaining leak now that I've stopped trying to buy every pot I'm in even when the flop missed me.

I reraise from late position with QQ, flop comes A high with no draws and I get check-raised. What the [censored] do I think he's raising with? Every once in a while he's got pocket fives and is praying I fold, but not nearly enough to make calling anything but -EV.

Yet I call.

Almost every time I just know that I'm beat. Yet I still call.

I am donkey, hear me roar!