PDA

View Full Version : Pot Size Theory

Mr. Curious
03-09-2006, 01:58 AM
The article was quite good, but it left out one VERY important definition:

What is a "good" hand and what is a "bad" hand?

DonkBluffer
03-09-2006, 07:50 AM
Yeah, and what is deep stack no limit?? 100 BB's? 200? 500?

prayformojo
03-09-2006, 10:34 AM
If only someone would publish a book on no limit ring games that would answer all of these questions and more!

RoyalLance
03-10-2006, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is a "good" hand and what is a "bad" hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Good (NLH) hands": Top Pair top kicker, Big overpair, Top two Pair, or Three of a Kind where there are no possible straight of flushes, Nut Flushes, Nut Straights, Full Houses, Quads, and Straight Flushes.

"Bad Hands": Small pocket pairs which missed the board, small bottom pair, small medium pair, small top pair with small kicker with a possible flush or straight against you, dummy end of a straght draw, baby flush draws. Bottom two pair while the board pairs and it doesn't help your hand, and two junk hole cards where you hit absolutely nothing.

But chill out, dude. That article is only an excerpt from Miller and Sklansky's next book. Not a real article.

SNOWBALL
03-11-2006, 01:48 PM
wtf tptk is a big hand but bottom two and the low end of a straight or a small flush is not?

ptmusic
03-11-2006, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wtf tptk is a big hand but bottom two and the low end of a straight or a small flush is not?

[/ QUOTE ]

He said bottom two when the board pairs and you don't improve and baby flush draw, and I agree with him. But I also believe that TPTK is not really a "big hand".

SNOWBALL
03-11-2006, 05:50 PM
I have no idea why he excludes non nut flushes from being a big hand or includes tptk as being a big hand. Also not nt straights get good action from even worse straights, top two or sets all the time. Ok, I'm done.

RoyalLance
03-12-2006, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But I also believe that TPTK is not really a "big hand".

[/ QUOTE ]

I would put to top pair big kicker (with preflop hands like AK and AQ) and overpairs of Queens, Kings or Aces in the good hand category -- would be foolish to call them "bad" -- but they are far from being big hands in deep stacks. I would still play them but I would obviously play them carefully and try not to go broke with them.