PDA

View Full Version : Harrington on Hold 'em: Volume II Errata List

Mason Malmuth
11-06-2005, 01:18 AM
Hi Everyone:

Here are our corrections for the first printing of Harrington on Hold 'em: Volume II. These corrections have been made in the second printing.

best wishes,
Mason

Page 3: Only one indent instead of two for paragraph that begins with “In addtions”

Page 26: Fifth line from bottom, second word should be “raise” instead of “reraise”

Page 27: Fourth line from bottom. Amount should be “$11,600" not “$12,800”

Page 29: Second line after #2; third word should be “pay” not “play”

Page 33: 12 lines from bottom. First word should be “raises” not “reraises”

Page 34: Fourth line. The word “even” should be deleted.

Page 43: Sixth line from bottom. The sentence beginning with “Here are some...” should be a new paragraph.

Page 44: Third line. Delete comma after “hand”

Page 50: First line. The word “by” should be “my”

Page 60: Sixth line. Add the words “at best” after the words “have six outs”

Page 66: Fourth line: The word “call” should be “check”

Page 66: 18th line. The first word “we” should be we’re”

Page 68: Fourth line from bottom: The word “reraise” should be “raise”

Page 69: Third line. Delete comma after the word “card”

Page 69: 7th line. The sentence that begins with “No other cards...” should be “Except for a five, no other cards...”

Page 70: Second line from bottom. Delete comma after “playing”

Page 71: Second paragraph, third line. Delete comma after “$30”

Page 71: Sixth line from bottom. Add the word “to” before “$50”

Page 73: Tenth line. Delete comma after the word “call”

Page 79: Third paragraph of answer, first line. Delete the word “just” after “choice is”

Page 94: Fifth line from bottom. Delete the word “just” after the word “There”

Page 96: Second line. “13,000" should be “$11,800”

Page 96: 11th line from bottom. Sentence that reads “If you bet and are called, you have ten probable outs: three tens, three nines, and four eights for a straight.” should be “If you bet and are called, you have ten probable outs: three jacks, three tens, and four eights for a straight.”

Page 97: Second line. “$37,000" should be “35,800”

Page 100: Second line of “Action to you:” the amount of the raise should be “$30,000" not “24,000”

Page 105: Eighth line from bottom. “...so far put in $1,100 leaving us with $2,160” should be “...so far put in $1,200 leaving us with $2,060”

Page 106: Top line. “$2,160" should be “$2,060”

Page 107: Second paragraph of first answer, last line. “reraise” should be “raise”

Page 110: Second line from bottom. “two folds” should be “two checks”

Page 116: Second question. “What to do?” should be in italics.

Page 116: After the last word of the answer for the second question there should be a colon.

Page 142: The M for Player 2 (in the table) should be “2.5" instead of “25"

Page 143: Fourth line from bottom. The words “good to play” should be “good enough”

Page 151: In the table “BB(YOU) should have “$15,00" not “$16,700"

Page 163: Second line above “Example 9.” The word “appealing” should be replaced bu the word “intriguing”

Page 205: Second line from bottom. The amount should be “$6,450", not “$5,750"

Page 206: Third paragraph. Second and third sentence that reads “The pot has $5,750 and we need to put in $4,550 to call, so our pot odds are about 5-to-4 or 1.25-to-1. If we can win 45 percent of the ...” should be “The pot has $6,450 and we need to put in $4,550 to call, so our pot odds are about 7-to-5 or 1.4-to-1. If we can win 42 percent of the ...”

Page 207: 15 lines from the bottom. Change “45 percent” to “42 percent”

Page 207: 14 lines from the bottom. “this mix leaves us just a little short” should be “this mix leaves us right on the margin”
Page 213: Secon line from the bottom. Change the word “flop” to “pot”

Page 214: Second line after “1.” “reraised” should be “raised”

Page 215: Last line. “$325" should be “$375"

Page 216: Seventh line: “three time” should be “three times”

Page 218: Fourth line. “He bet just enough to give us 4-to-1 pot odds,” should be “His bet gives us 5-to-1 pot odds,”

Page 225: Last word in top paragraph. “reraise” should be “raise” and it should be followed by a period.

Page 228: Ninth line. Period goes after the last word.

Page 237: First line. Period goes after the word “equity”

Page 247: In “Action to you” second line. “C through H” should be “C through G”

Page 250: #3 should read “AQ. He;s drawing dead unless he has precisely AdQd.”

Page 251: Eight line from bottom. “The word “other” should be plural.

Page 253: Hand 10-7. “You” should be Player A and not the BB; The antes should be $25 and the pot should be $800.

Page 284: Five lines from the bottom of the first paragraph. Starting with the sentence that reads “There are three aces...” should now read “ On fourth street, there are three aces...”. The next sentence that begins with “ Those seven outs...” should now read “On fifth street you’ll have three more outs to fill up. Thus you have a significant chance (over 30 percent) of beating a made flush.”

Page 287: Second to last line. Delete “(in case I was called)”

Page 290: Second to last line: Change the word “ betting” to “better”

Page 291: Seventh line. Add the word “suited” after “king-seven”

Page 309. Hand 11-3. “Antes: $1,000" left out of diagram

Page 313: #3. “In a three -handed game” should be “In a four-handed game”

Page 348: Equation needs to be made clearer.

Page 351. Hand 11-22. “You” should be the small blind instead of the big blind.

Pag3 359: Second line from bottom. “without raising” should be “without betting”

Page 366: The Top 50%. The last hand in the first line should be “98" instead of 9-8"

Page 366: The Bottom 10%. Add the hand “32" at end of list.

Page 367. Second line. The word “hand” should be plural.

Page 403: Hand No. 23; Result. “$” goes in front of “10,000"

Page 412: Indent paragraph that begins with “Since our opponent”

Page 429: #3. Period goes after the word “guy”

Page 431. Periods go after the names “Forrest” and “Negreanu”

Page 439: Second line from bottom. Delete the word “a”

pastabatman
11-06-2005, 03:38 AM
Thank you Mason, it is very much appreciated.

Pasta

ononimo
11-06-2005, 11:45 AM
thanks mason ... was there a similar list for Volume I?

pastabatman
11-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Yes. You can search Mason's posts in the archive. I believe Mason had said errata would get a dedicated web page at some point. I wonder what happened with that.

Pasta

Mason Malmuth
11-07-2005, 05:54 AM
I never said that.

MM

sketchy1
11-07-2005, 06:49 AM
i'd say "maybe you should hire a real editor for dirt cheap instead of embarassing your publishing company by letting so many 9th grade English class mistakes over and over" but you'll probably just delete that post.

Tony_P
11-07-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'd say "maybe you should hire a real editor for dirt cheap instead of embarassing your publishing company by letting so many 9th grade English class mistakes over and over" but you'll probably just delete that post. heil sklansky and 2+2 4 lyfe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, cause it's real easy to edit a highly technical book with loads of math and statisitics.

kitaristi0
11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
How about page 243? Period after the word 'flop' in the sentence: 'This should be a safe flop.'

Albert Silver
11-07-2005, 04:43 PM
Many thanks for the list, Mason. Judging from some comments, some people are never happy. I will print it out and share this with a couple of friends who I know also own the book.

Albert

pastabatman
11-07-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never said that.

MM

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you made me go track it down. Here's what you said (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=0&Number=2594239&page=0&vc=1) :
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

agree with the general sentiment that 2+2 should maintain an errata webpage. How hard is it to update a webpage?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try to post something to this effect. But it may take a while.

Best wishes,
Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

Cheers,
Pasta

cwsiggy
11-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Thank you very much for this. Now my pen will get a workout.

Mason Malmuth
11-07-2005, 10:25 PM
I said "post" and that is what has been done for both books. My intention never included a web page.

MM

pastabatman
11-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Sorry Mason, guess I misunderstood. It would be truly trivial to create a webpage for this - let me know if you need help.

Cheers,
Pasta

Mason Malmuth
11-08-2005, 02:46 AM
Hi pasta:

All web pages are trivial for me since I tell someone else to do it. Also, we're looking very seriously at revamping the whole site. If we go ahead with that, nothing is trivial.

However, for reasons that I won't get into here, this is the way we wanted to present the errata list.

Best wishes,
Mason

stevetcg
11-08-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Page 142: The M for Player 2 (in the table) should be “2.5" instead of “25"

[/ QUOTE ]

Same idea - on page 146 the M for player 3 should be 1.3 not 13.

epikur
11-08-2005, 06:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. You can search Mason's posts in the archive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've searched and I have not found anything for volume1
I even searched google but found this thread

Maybe I'm seaching the wrong forum/server or something
any link?

Would be great if there is an errata, before rereading it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ShivasIrons
11-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Link for HOH I errata pdf file
HOH I errata sheet (http://www.wulfheir.com/poker/HoH%20Vol%201%20corrections.pdf)

sketchy1
11-11-2005, 10:30 PM
yes it is

this isn't exaclty rocket science

most errors are so simple they should have never got past the press

it made the book horribly hard to read at times. i closed it once because i couldn't understand a hand description because it was completely fouled up. the fact that they have gone this many years with no real editor is sad.

Mason Malmuth
11-11-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi sketchy1:

Sometimes when I read posts like yours my only conclusion is that why does someone who knows so little act like he knows so much. There happens to be a big difference between editing and proofing. Our problem here has nothing to do with editing.

In fact, given the nature of the Harrington books, that is they are covering a tough technical area, the books are wonderfully edited. It is very difficult to write this type of material in a detailed, concise, and highly readable manner, and we at Two Plus Two did spend much time going over the text in an effort to make it even better and even more clear. The success of these books speak for themselves as to whether we were successful in this area.

We are however, taking steps in future books to solve the proofing problem, but it is certainly not as simple as you describe. Our plan is to have more final readings and include additional sets of eyes.

Best wishes,
Mason

sketchy1
11-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Mason,

You're right, I don't know as much as I claim to, but there's no way in hell you can convince a fellow writer/editor that you simply can't correct 3 dozen errors that you have in this book.

If you want to fix it, hire me. It took me all of 5 seconds to recognize an error in this book and made it extremely difficult to read.

I simply will never believe that you think there's no way to correct that many errors before it's published. It just sounds like you're cutting corners and saving a few pennies by not hiring a real editor and simply editing it yourself.

All it requires is pushing the publishing date back, and getting the book in someone else's hands who can proofread it. Believe me, it can be done.

sketchy1
11-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Rereading these errors, I seriously can't believe you're arguing with me about this. How could you possibly say that these errors were not possible to fix before publishing? It's almost all "word should be raise instead of reraise." This isn't tough stuff, you could hire a college-level intern to fix it in a weekend.

You could pay someone like me a few hundred bucks and save yourself the time to run a new edition of it and save yourself the time of having to create such posts.

Mason Malmuth
11-11-2005, 11:19 PM
First off, we have fixed these errors. We just didn't do it in the first printing.

Second, we do agree that there was a failing on our part and that there is no excuse for it. Furthermore, as the publisher of Two Plus Two, which means I'm the person in charge, it's my responsibility and I do take full responsibility for the problem.

All I can say is that we expect to do much better in the future in the proof reading department.

MM

sketchy1
11-11-2005, 11:24 PM
OK, I just wanted to make sure you understand that these are easy errors to fix. You made it sound (as did everyone else) like these were overly complex errors that a regular proofreader couldn't fix. This is simply not true by any means and anyone who thinks I am overly analytical on this is insane.

I was being serious about hiring me as a proofreader too. I'd do it for dirt cheap. I might not be the best, but considering that 99.9% of all proofreaders you hire will miss the poker terminolgy and pot-size errors and so forth, I would probably do a much better job than most you would hire.

Mason Malmuth
11-12-2005, 05:16 AM
They are not easy to fix. If that would have been the case they wouldn't have appeared.

Also, anyone who thinks they are easy to fix in my opinion wouldn't be a good proof reader. Proof reading well is hard work, and I can't imagine anyopne who would enjoy doing it.

best wishes,
Mason

sketchy1
11-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Mason,

I never said it was "easy" or that it was fun. In fact I agree on both points. But if your eyes are trained to look for such errors and you're in that business, then it's rather easy for a regular proofreader than someone who is just a typist on the topic.

In fact, I wholeheartedly believe it's 80% impossible to ever proofread your own work. I read and reread my own writing over and over before I decide that it's been proofed enough and I still don't do a good enough job. However, whenever I am not biased on the work, it's much easier.

Let me apologize for coming off as a pompous ass for the last few posts, but I still stand by my belief that 2+2 is definitely degrading its own work by not hiring a better proofreader. I really loved HOH and the 2nd volume and most every 2+2 book I've read, but sometimes it gives me a headache to open them.

New York Jet
11-12-2005, 09:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, we're looking very seriously at revamping the whole site.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is great (and long overdue) news. Please consider adding RSS feeds and podcasts. In particular, RSS feeds from each forum and podcasts linked to the magazine would be great.

JohnG
11-12-2005, 06:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They are not easy to fix. If that would have been the case they wouldn't have appeared.

Also, anyone who thinks they are easy to fix in my opinion wouldn't be a good proof reader. Proof reading well is hard work, and I can't imagine anyopne who would enjoy doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think fixing the type of mistakes being complained about is pretty simple. It just needs some fresh eyes with some poker knowledge coming in at the last stage and reading the final draft. It seems you have already planned this for future books, so there isn't really a problem anymore.

RacersEdge
11-13-2005, 10:02 AM
1. How do you get a second printing? You must order online?

2. In HoH, Volume 1, on p 314, I believe at the bottom list it shoud read "straight draw" and not "straight" - judging by the context above the list.

3. Is there any way to rank these errata? IOW, make the list in order of significance to how it affects the content.

damedley
01-02-2007, 03:44 PM
I noticed a strange error on p. 129-130 of Vol II. M of between 5 and 6 is left in "no man's zone".

Also, don't mind the nay-sayers. Virtually every 1st edition publication I've ever come across is rife with errors. Not that it's ok, but it is a common problem.

One of your posts got me interested, though. Are there part-time proofreader positions at 2+2?