PDA

View Full Version : Dinosaurs

JMP300z
03-08-2006, 03:44 PM
I was watching a special on dinosaurs and wondered how they fit into the religious picture. A quick google search turned up this.

"Now, what about dinosaurs, were they on the ark and could they fit? (If you do not understand that dinosaurs and humans were alive at the same time, you need to read our Dinosaurs Page.) We believe dinosaurs were on the ark. The solution to getting the large ones on the ark is in using young dinosaurs. They take up less room, they eat less, and they have more of their reproductive life left for restarting the population. Although out of context for this page, we offer one explanation regarding why most dinosaurs disappeared (after the flood was over and they left the ark)" from -http://www.clarifyingchristianity.com/creation.shtml

Why didnt i think of that.

-JP

bocablkr
03-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Dinosaurs are one of the leading reasons that the bible is false. There is not one mention of them in the entire bible. The greatest creatures that ever walked the earth and not one peep. Not one drawing anywhere in human history. And you could not fit two of every type of dinosaur in the ark even if you only took young adults.

Many, many other creatures are described in the bible but not them????

billygrippo
03-08-2006, 05:48 PM
god created all animals but dinosaurs. your avatar created dinosaurs and god.

miketurner
03-08-2006, 06:25 PM
It is possible that dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible. Of coarse, the word dinosaur didn’t exist until something like the 1800's, so I hope you would not expect the “word” to be mentioned thousands of years before the word existed.

In the Bible, the description of the “behemoth” in Job 40:15 - 24 certainly sounds like it could be a dinosaur. Job 41 continues with a description of “leviathan” that sounds like it could also be a dinosaur.

As far as the quote about the arch... *shrug* Without looking into your cited website and their reasoning... I am unaware of any reason why dinosaurs would be believed to be on the arch. Maybe they were already extinct? I really don’t have enough interest to look into it right now. Just wanted to point out that dinosaurs not being in the Bible is not necessarily an accurate statement.

miketurner
03-08-2006, 07:38 PM
Well, my last post was all jacked up. It was bocablkr that said no mention of dinosaurs in the Bible, not JMP300z... and it’s “ark” not “arch”.

I was in a big hurry. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

NotReady
03-08-2006, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Dinosaurs are one of the leading reasons that the bible is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does it say in the Bible there's no such thing as dinosaurs?

CORed
03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
You have to completely turn off your brain to take the Noah's Ark story literally. But the "great flood" is how the young earth creationists "explain" a whole lot of stuff. It seems that in the creationist view, floods can sort dead animals and plants so that the least comlex end up on the bottom and the most complex on the top. For some reason, this never happens in real floods.

KathleenStand
03-08-2006, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Dinosaurs are one of the leading reasons that the bible is false.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does it say in the Bible there's no such thing as dinosaurs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you actually this dumb though?b

Sharkey
03-08-2006, 08:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to completely turn off your brain to take the Noah's Ark story literally.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be obvious to any ape reading this thread that the Creator of the universe is not subject to its laws. If God wants something to happen, it happens. No problem, except for you maybe.

NotReady
03-08-2006, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Are you actually this dumb though?b

[/ QUOTE ]

i jes luv lojukal refutments

MatthewRyan
03-08-2006, 08:55 PM
The bible does not mention things pre-man as I am aware. Why would dinosours be included? they are irrelevant

billygrippo
03-08-2006, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The bible does not mention things pre-man as I am aware. Why would dinosours be included? they are irrelevant

[/ QUOTE ]

living man and dinosaurs overlap in history.

JMP300z
03-08-2006, 09:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dinosaurs are one of the leading reasons that the bible is false. There is not one mention of them in the entire bible. The greatest creatures that ever walked the earth and not one peep. Not one drawing anywhere in human history. And you could not fit two of every type of dinosaur in the ark even if you only took young adults.

Many, many other creatures are described in the bible but not them????

[/ QUOTE ]

As already mentioned, this site quotes leviathon and behemoth as dinosaurs.

-JP

JMP300z
03-08-2006, 09:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It mentions god no?

-JP

madnak
03-08-2006, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems that in the creationist view, floods can sort dead animals and plants so that the least comlex end up on the bottom and the most complex on the top. For some reason, this never happens in real floods.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about rock strata? Changes in magnetic resonance? Continental drift? I guess the big flood managed all that, too.

CORed
03-08-2006, 09:51 PM
It's been years since I've read the story of Noah's ark in the Book of Genesis, but, to the best of my recollection, the Bible states that Noah took two of each kind of animal, but does not say that he took a male and a female of each. Now, most likely God knew Noah was no dummy, and trusted him to have enough sense to know that's what he wanted. But, dinosaurs probably proved to be rather problematic.

Mammals, for the most part, have prominent external genitalia, especially males. It's generally not too hard to tell the boys from the girls. But for birds for which males and females have similar plumage, reptiles, and, most likely for dinosaurs, it's quite a bit more difficult. To give you an idea of the difficulty Noah may have faced, the methods for sexing alligaotrs and crocodiles are explained, in more detail than you probably want, here (http://www.crocodilian.com/crocfaq/faq-8.html).

It's bad enough with an alligator. Can you imagine doing this with a T. rex, even a baby? Could anyone really fault Noah for saying "screw this" and just guessing, especially if God's instructions weren't specific? Apparently Noah was very unlucky with dinosuars and got two males, or two females of all the dinosaurs. Presumably he was a little luckier (or dedicated enough to make the effort) with alligators, crocodiles, turtles, snakes and lizards.

HLMencken
03-08-2006, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why didnt i think of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because your IQ is above 40?

HLMencken
03-08-2006, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You have to completely turn off your brain to take the Noah's Ark story literally.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should be obvious to any ape reading this thread that the Creator of the universe is not subject to its laws. If God wants something to happen, it happens. No problem, except for you maybe.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

Sharkey
03-09-2006, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe apes can grasp irony after all.

mostsmooth
03-09-2006, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
they do have opposing thumbs

Hopey
03-10-2006, 05:17 PM
I dated a girl in high school whose family were staunch Roman Catholics. They took the bible *literally*, including believing that the Earth was only a few thousand years old. I asked her how this could explain the dinosaurs, and I'll never forget her response (said with a straight face): "God put dinosaur bones in the Earth to test our faith".

Let's just say the relationship didn't last much longer than that.

tolbiny
03-10-2006, 08:21 PM
Hopey,
the correct response is to marry her, cause a giant rift in her family, force her to move thousands of miles away, give her an STD, get her pregnant, steal all your savings and abandon her with on ly a note saying "where is your god now?"

HLMencken
03-10-2006, 08:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would make some quip about ad hominem attacks, but I don't feel compelled to show off my limited Latin vocabulary at every opportunity... like some posters... like you.

flatline
03-10-2006, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I dated a girl in high school whose family were staunch Roman Catholics. They took the bible *literally*, including believing that the Earth was only a few thousand years old. I asked her how this could explain the dinosaurs, and I'll never forget her response (said with a straight face): "God put dinosaur bones in the Earth to test our faith".

Let's just say the relationship didn't last much longer than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should really find the Bill Hicks clip "Dinosaurs in the Bible", you would appreciate it.