PDA

View Full Version : The Overpair vs Set

n4rf
11-17-2007, 07:15 PM
I know there have been many questions about these situations since these are probably one of the hardest to get away from if you're holding the OP to the flop (at least for the non-veterans)

I know this is player dependent, but if ever faced with BIG aggression on the flop or the turn vs a TAG, when is it wise to push back and when is it wise to fold? This is assuming that there was a cold-call by villain preflop and not a raise.
So if you're playing a TAG with 20/18 stats in this spot, it's safe to assume he's playing a lower PP turned set on a flop such as 9-3-7 when he pushes back?

gregorio
11-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Assuming you aren't a total fish and can fold, on a 9-3-7 rainbow board, I c/r lots of your cbets since this misses you more than it hit you and I assume you will be folding to c/r most of the time. It is an added bonus if you are willing to fold your overpair. Also, sometime I have TT and JJ here. I am probably more likely to lead this flop with a set and hope you raise me with an overpair. If I c/r, it's more likely to be a bluff.

But I am usually holding a PP if I flat call from the binds PF, though sometimes mix in some broadway SCs, but usually 3-betting these.

n4rf
11-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Makes sense. I think vs a TAG, most of the time I'll be behind more than I'll be ahead in this situation.

gregorio
11-17-2007, 08:00 PM
It also depends what you mean by big aggression\, and whether you're counting a c/r? I never bet/3bet bluff this flop, but I will c/r bluff it. But like you say, on this board, I am more likely to have a set then I will on a board where I can have a combo draw or pr+draw. And I am more likely to have a PP than a suited connector if I don't 3-bet PF, so even if it is a wet board, I am more likely to have a set and think you might have a draw. On a dry flop like this, I think it is ok to call and then fold on blank turn if aggression continues. On a wet board, it is harder to get away from overpair.

Somnius
11-17-2007, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you aren't a total fish and can fold, on a 9-3-7 rainbow board, I c/r lots of your cbets since this misses you more than it hit you and I assume you will be folding to c/r most of the time. It is an added bonus if you are willing to fold your overpair. Also, sometime I have TT and JJ here. I am probably more likely to lead this flop with a set and hope you raise me with an overpair. If I c/r, it's more likely to be a bluff.

But I am usually holding a PP if I flat call from the binds PF, though sometimes mix in some broadway SCs, but usually 3-betting these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although these are good traits, from my experiences at Party this isn't the typical tag at 50NL, definately more of 100NL tactics.

If you're playing 25 or 50NL, the common lines for tags are c/c, c/r (usually minraise) with sets. Raise flop with TPTK or draws.

On a board that raggedy, 9-3-7 rainbow, more likely to be a set, with x% bluff depending on the person...I doubt many people are cold calling jacks or even tens as tags like to get their 3-bet % up for shania, but of course the range wouldn't just be sets or bluff...

As a general rule, I like to push raised flops, and be more likely to fold to raised turns, but, it really just depends on the person and texture of the board.

gregorio
11-17-2007, 08:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Although these are good traits, from my experiences at Party this isn't the typical tag at 50NL, definately more of 100NL tactics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, when I c/r bluff a cbet on these boards at 50NL, nobody ever folds.

Somnius
11-17-2007, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, when I c/r bluff a cbet on these boards at 50NL, nobody ever folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ye pretty much a waste against most.