PDA

View Full Version : boring overpair hand

n.s.
01-06-2006, 04:28 AM
Live 8-16

BB is laggy, but not a maniac. She's way too loose PF, likes to CR a lot, but isn't a horrible post-flop player. UTG is mostly unknown, but hasn't done anything wacky in the few orbits I've see. My initial gut instinct is that he's solid. MP1 is pretty fishy, MP3 is extremely fishy and sees the vast majority of flops, often for 2 or more bets.

PF Hero is MP2 with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, 2 folds, MP1 calls, <font color="red">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls, MP1 calls.

Flop 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif (5 players, 10.5 SB)
BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, <font color="red">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, <font color="red">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif(4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif) (3 players, 9.5 BB)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="red">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="red">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif(2/images/graemlins/spade.gif4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif6/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif) (3 players, 15.5 BB)
BB checks, <font color="red">UTG bets</font>, Hero...

ridiculously standard? I'm more interested in checking up on my thought process, rather than just figuring out the best play in this hand.

Nick C
01-06-2006, 05:01 AM
It's troubling when UTG checkraises the turn after calling two cold on the flop. I'm thinking set or maybe even flopped straight.

But I'd call again on the river. And I'd grudgingly fold if someone else woke up behind me.

TheHip41
01-06-2006, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's troubling when UTG checkraises the turn after calling two cold on the flop. I'm thinking set or maybe even flopped straight.

But I'd call again on the river. And I'd grudgingly fold if someone else woke up behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What solid player limps 35 UTG? or 57?

I think you are looking at 44, 66, 88 most of the time here, maybe 22

I call and hope he ridiculously overplayed TT or A6

Nick C
01-06-2006, 05:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What solid player limps 35 UTG? or 57?

I think you are looking at 44, 66, 88 most of the time here, maybe 22

I call and hope he ridiculously overplayed TT or A6

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that solid players don't limp 75 or 53 UTG. Our read is vague (UTG is described as "mostly unknown") and based on a gut instinct, though, and some live players can be very loose.

Anyway, like you, I suspect UTG flopped (or turned) a set.

mack848
01-06-2006, 05:22 AM
I like the way you played this and think he has 99 or TT (or worse) the 6% of the time you need to call the river.

C-Dog
01-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Is folding to the turn checkraise so bad? You aren't going to win this very often at all I don't think.

C-Dog

01-06-2006, 06:13 AM
This looks fine. Sure you are often up against a set here, but you only have to be good 5.4% if BB calls.

Maybe UTG can have 99, TT or decided to semi bluff a clubdraw or something. Hopefully this makes up for the few percentages you need.

mack848
01-06-2006, 07:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is folding to the turn checkraise so bad? You aren't going to win this very often at all I don't think.

C-Dog

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like folding an overpair for 1BB in a 12.5 BB pot against a (pretty much) unknown opponent.

TStoneMBD
01-06-2006, 08:20 AM
you should be able to fold this on the turn in a live game.

n.s.
01-06-2006, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you should be able to fold this on the turn in a live game.

[/ QUOTE ]

After some thought, I think this is probably the right answer. I find that my first impressions are usually correct in a live game, and this guy would have to be awfully fishy to call UTG with a low 1-gapper like 46. It's also a terrible time for him to semi-bluff a flush draw after I showed that I really liked my hand on the flop. Finally, even if he was semi-bluffing, he could have something like 14 outs against me, so the equity I lose isn't as bad as it could be.

Thanks for everyone's input. Reading this made me realize that I was sorta playing on auto-pilot and just thinking of ed miller's "you typically can't fold an overpair for one bet" instead of really thinking about this specific hand.

Results for those who care:
<font color="white">UTG has 66 (surprise!) for the flopped set. BB didn't show, but said she had an 8 (i believe her).</font>

Heaven
01-06-2006, 04:29 PM
If an "unknown" that havent been seen to make anything stupid so far is calling behind 3 raises on the flop, and then check-raise the turn against me, im folding.