PDA

View Full Version : What seperates today's world views from the past?

NoamChomsky
03-06-2006, 10:33 PM
From Aristolean physics and Norse Gods to modern astrophysics and Christianity who have came along way in terms of the sophistications of our belief systems.

Are we likely to undergo such a radical transition 2000 years from now? Will modern day cosmology appear as silly to the future as the whole 'natural place' theories of Aristotle seems to me?

laurentia
03-06-2006, 10:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Are we likely to undergo such a radical transition 2000 years from now? Will modern day cosmology appear as silly to the future as the whole 'natural place' theories of Aristotle seems to me?

[/ QUOTE ]

2000 years? Within 100 years the creation of superhuman intelligence will occur....

BonusPros
03-07-2006, 01:19 AM
Space travel and any interactions with any other forms of life from another planet will radically change everything

Siegmund
03-07-2006, 03:00 AM
I would say not much separates us -- half the world still clings to a religion 2000 years old for no reason other than that their parents did so before them. At least the Norsemen had an excuse for thinking the thunder was caused by an angry god. They didn't know any better. Modern religious nuts have no excuse at all, yet they increase in number.

Back then there were a few brilliant Archimedes types and a huge mass of people who neither knew nor cared about science. Same today. Sad but true.

NoamChomsky
03-07-2006, 03:08 AM
Siegmund, you are not really adding anything to this discussion, just sort of bashing christians.

Siegmund
03-07-2006, 03:14 AM
You asked a question in your thread title, to which I think the answer is "nothing," and that sort of un-asks the questions in your second paragraph, "such a radical transition" having not happened. Sorry if you don't feel that's a contribution to the discussion. I won't repeat it again.

Marko Schmarko
03-07-2006, 04:17 AM
I feel like less of what we now assert to be true will be proven false than has been within the last 2000 years.
This may be naivety that is inherent to being tied to the present, but I feel like our current understanding of physics, etc. is significantly more precisely understood.

I would be surprised if our religions aren't mocked in 2000 years as absurd myths.

Obviously, we will learn much more that we currently don't know/are unsure of. Probably more than we have in the last 2000 years.