PDA

View Full Version : Best Game Quetion

Baxter
01-06-2006, 03:28 AM
I've been playing online for about 9 months. I started like most, with Hold 'Em, but moved on to LO8 and win on PP consistantly.
I'm wondering what everyone thinks is the best way to start out in poker and why. Let's say your choices are HE, Omaha, O8, Stud, and Stud/8. Then you have to choose between cash and tournaments. Try to be specific and give reasoning.
Is limit hold 'em cash games the way to start to learn to read a board and find out the type of player you are (LAG, TAG, weak-tight, etc)?
Is Omaha Hi/Lo a way to start to teach a player to play for the nuts and when to chase/not chase?
Just trying to start a little debate.

Baxter
01-07-2006, 03:06 AM
I read where Lou Krieger said that he thinks tournaments are the way to start because the game is more pure there. He says that players play more correctly and this is a great way to learn a new game. Does anyone else agree with this?

JKratzer
01-07-2006, 03:46 AM
Limit hold'em. Limit (vs. NL) because mistakes won't cost you your whole stack and you'll be making a lot at first. HE because hand reading is the most important there versus the other games. The other games won't develop the hand reading ability as well.

328ifly
01-07-2006, 05:24 AM
I agree...I started playing Limit SitnGo and that was the besttt practice you can get IMO. Starting out with the same amount of chips as everyone else...playing tight, letting the guppies bust themselves out...and then as ppl get knocked out, short handed aggressive play will get you in the money. Can be frustrating though cause the blinds get huge and you can get committed to a pot with a very strong second best hand. It ends up being like NL push or fold decision.