PDA

View Full Version : TT turns Scare Card - Turn into Bluff?

Dr_Doctr
11-10-2007, 07:12 PM
Forgot to request HH for this one so values are estimated. Villian is a tight, fairly passive regular. I think he knows I'm a regular and would think I'd have something with this line - I obviously put him squarely on an overpair that's most likely better than mine after he calls the flop (of course he could have Ax /images/graemlins/spade.gif )- I don't think he knows my game well enough to know that I'd very rarely be super strong with this line.

NL50 - 6 players - Effective 60 - Hero is Lag

Hero is CO with T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T /images/graemlins/club.gif

UTG raises 2, folded to Hero who calls, folded to BB who calls.

Flop (6)

4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks, UTG bets 6, Hero minraises (yo), BB folds, UTG calls (At this point I don't like my hand at all and plan on trying to check it down)

Turn (30)

7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, Hero bets 18

Do the pros outweigh the cons of turning this into a bluff?

slush420
11-10-2007, 07:20 PM
naw I hate the turn bet and think it's gonna be spew mostly. If I'm gonna raise the flop I raise it to $18 and check it down from there. Likely I would float the flop here with the intention of pot control and betting or bluff-raising the turn.

icheckcallu
11-10-2007, 07:23 PM
thats actually a good scarecard. I bet this all day if you know villain can fold a decent pp.

this is based on your flop action which consists alot of monster SETS/FD. byettttttttttttt FOLD obviously.

creamfillin
11-10-2007, 07:25 PM
I hate pushing people off overpairs but this is probably one of the best spots to do it. I'd rather call the flop though, not sure what the minraise accomplishes except get shoved over by big pairs.

If he calls the turn I am definitely shutting the [censored] down.

john_bcfc
11-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Could 3 bet preflop to $7-8. Will get a lot of AsXs to fold, and we'll be able to get a clearer idea of his range. Also we have a strong hand.

Why min raise flop??? You're giving him odds of 4-1, you're giving him odds to suck out on you. Charge him for the draw, plus by betting so little you're not defining his hand enough.

I dont like turn bet, are you actually turning this into a bluff? Or are you value betting?

I would most likely 3-bet preflop and raise more on flop.

Turn i would play accordingly to how he played preflop/flop.

Dr_Doctr
11-10-2007, 07:59 PM
John, I don't know what is up with the minraise - your guess is as good as mine really. I was playing a bunch of tables and was thinking that I didn't want to call and then if a blank comes on the turn to feel obliged to call this guy again when he's tight and has double-barreled into two players after raising UTG. I didn't want to raise more because I wasn't calling if he shoved. That was the idea at the time but now I can consider it more clearly there are probably better options.

As for the flat-call preflop I don't think it's bad. I wouldn't fault anyone for 3-betting it either though. Sometimes I will too - when I said Ax I really meant AKs/AQs/AJs. Of these I only think he's folding AJs to a 3-bet from me and I'll probably get pushed off my hand if he has a big pair - his UTG range is pretty narrow I'd guess. The turn bet is intended to make him fold a better overpair and as a very minor side-effect might get value from AsX (though I doubt that too). I don't think he puts any more money into this pot after my turn bet unless he has me crushed - in short, it's a bluff.

Cream/Checkcall - I too have learned the hard way that trying to push people at these levels off overpairs is a stupid idea. But I agree that if there ever was a good spot this might be it. That's what I was thinking as I played the hand - I wanted to see if anyone agreed.