PDA

View Full Version : Raising the river

soah
11-02-2005, 03:24 AM
A leak of mine. I guess starting off playing SNGs and 50bb ring games didn't train me well for actually having money left at the river. I play timid in big pots. Here are two hands for consideration.... after I go through a lengthy backstory.

I sit down at a 2/4 6-max PL game at Party. On my second hand I have QQ in the SB. Unknown limps, unknown raises pot, I elect just to call because I don't want to play an inflated pot here against complete unknowns out of position. Plus, I stand to get paid off a bit postflop when I catch a friendly board. So I call, the limper calls. Flop is J9x rainbow.. I check, the limper bets $20 into a $55ish pot, the PFR folds. The bettor only has $250 or so left. I believe this is a bet of weakness, and the pot is big enough that I'm willing to stack off. I raise to $80, he calls. I push a blank turn, he thinks forever and calls. The river is a ten and I start swearing. Sure enough, he turns over JTo.

I quickly realize that this player is loose (duh), aggressive, and terrible (duh). He makes weak bets with marginal hands and with draws, and he bets more with stronger hands and bluffs. He usually has nothing much when he checks, he loves to bluff when he senses weakness, but he does mix things up a little bit.

I tried to get involved with as many hands as possible with him but for a long time I couldn't catch a flop. I'm certain he bluffed me out of more than one pot but it wasn't worth bluff-raising the river when I know I'll get called by any sort of crap at all.

Oh, and I also sat down at another table with him. Despite his terrible play, he built up stacks of $1200+ at both tables.

I had another somewhat frustrating hand with him where I was BB with J9s and two people had already called his raise so I called as well. Flop was QT8 and SB checked, I checked, he bet $25 (into a $60ish pot) which meant he was weak. One fold, SB called, I raised to $100 (maybe should have raised more), he called, SB called. 9 came on the turn and he split the pot with his JJ. (SB overcalled my push with 88 and missed, so I still netted a decent profit on the hand.)

I finally scored some wins against him... on one hand at the other table, I openraised from CO with 87s and he made a very small reraise from the SB with 82s. Flop was 875 and he bet, I raised, he pushed, I called, and he was drawing dead. Yay.

On another hand, I raised UTG with AKo, he called with KQo. Flop was Kxx with a flush draw, I bet, he called, someone else folded. I bet the turn, he called. On the river there was still no other broadway or flush card. There was $250 or so in the pot and I bet $125, he minraised, I took forever and decided he was so bad that I really had to look him up, and I dragged a huge pot.

So that brings us to the hands in question.

I openraise on the button with 7h5h. SB calls, he calls in BB. Flop is 8s3h2s. We all check. Turn is the 7s. SB checks, he bets $30 into the $40ish pot. I think he would have bet some $15 or something on the flop if he had a flush draw, and he may have also bet into me (bigger) with hands like 99 or 8x. And he loves to bluff when people have been checking, so overall I think there's a good chance my hand is good now, but I'm not sure. I want to raise, but I don't want him to call me and then bet again on the river, so I just call. The river is an offsuit 5. So the final board is 83275 and there were three spades by the turn. He bets $55. What's my action? (We're deep enough that there's no way all the money goes in here, so stack sizes are irrelevent.)

On another hand, I've overlimped on the button with 98s, and he raises to $18 (pot) from the BB. Limper calls, I call. Flop is Q88 rainbow. He checks (weak), limper bets $15 (weak), I call (slowplay), he minraises (huh?), limper folds (weak), I call. K on the turn, he bets $70, I call (bad?). River 9, he bets the exact amount of the pot (remember it was a PL table) which was like $260ish. I have around $700-$750 left at this point and he has me covered. Actually, the more I think about this hand, the more I realize I screwed up by not building the pot sooner. But he's seen me fastplay my strong hands previously so hopefully that's enough of an excuse for slowplaying this time. I have the worst possible boat on a drawless board, my opponent doesn't know how strong I am, but I'm confused about how strong he is also. My action?

FreakDaddy
11-02-2005, 03:45 AM
/images/graemlins/smile.gif I can especially relate tonight. I got stacked 3 times by a super donk(SD) tonight when I raised the river strong hands and twice SD turned over the improbable gutshot straight he caught. The other time he sucked out on my AA on the turn.

In your first hand it's a bit easy, but would be easier with the following read; how is he valuing his hands on the river? I think this is a call, not raise primarily because I doubt he's calling much here because he either has a)squat, b) a very weak hand A8 (etc..), or the straight. So how much would he call is he has B and is it worth the risk? My vote is no, even though it's tempting.

Second hand is very donkish it smells like he may have flopped it with that kind of play. I mean someone bet and call and he mini-raised?? Nothing else really makes sense unless perhaps he has AA. So he likely has either AA,KK,QQ and two of those you're losing to. Without being there I say that I prefer a fold to a call. I mean what other range to you think he's going to have here?

soah
11-02-2005, 04:19 AM
Against this player I can never fold hand 2. He could easily have AA or JJ or AQ or complete trash.

I think the problem really boils down to the fact that barring tilt, I almost never raise the river as a bluff, so when I have strong non-nut hands I feel like I will only get called when beaten. Obviously though if this were the case then I should be raising as a bluff more often, but that doesn't sound appealing either.

It's also like you mentioned, I often believe my opponent is extremely weak or completely bluffing and I just call because if my read is right they will fold so raising has no value.

A good example of this came a long time ago in a 1/2 NL game. I had raised QQ, super-LAG called me. Flop was Qxx and he check/called and I was almost certain he had nothing (timing tells). He check/called again. The river completely a backdoor flush and he bet $100 into a $100 pot very quickly. I had $200 left. The only hand I lose to is the runner-runner flush. But I just called because I felt he either hand absolutely nothing, or a flush. He turned over ace high.

edge
11-02-2005, 04:56 AM
I think hand 1 is a call, although I'd be tempted to raise.

Hand 2 looks like a push to me, but it's a big mess. I think the flop play is awful. I pretty much only slowplay if the stack sizes make it very feasible that we'll be all-in on the next street with a checkraise or raise.

WiltOnTilt
11-02-2005, 11:46 AM
On the AK hand, what was it about this opponent that made you go for a river lead? My default here would be to check-call his busted draw or let him pounce when you "show weakness." As played it looks like you maximized value but he put you in a tough spot.

On the 75 hand, I just call the river. I don't think you're squeezing anymore value out of this by raising and folding to further action. There are a few goofy straights he could have backed into on that board and the flush possibility probably isn't slowing him down. Plus based on the AK hand, you don't want to get blown off your 2pair if he gets frisky.

On the 98s hand, wow that preflop and flop action is scary. He raises out of BB, which many won't do w/o the goods, then he check-minraises a better and caller on a queen high flop? Would he do this with AQ/KK/AA? Would he raise out of the BB with an 8? I hate to see monsters under the bed but that sounds like a line many donks would take with QQQ88 or an A8 type hand. If he would raise out of the BB with an 8, then I'm raising the river. If he wouldn't then I'm calling... but it seems so weak.

KoW

djoyce003
11-02-2005, 12:02 PM
this guy is a donkey. I call hand 1, raise hand 2. If he has a real hand, then so be it....but I think you are likely ahead, and I think it's entirely plausible that he will call a raise with two pair. The only thing that worries me is that even donkies sometimes get scared when there is a paired board out there and someone has called bets and raises.

wtfsvi
11-02-2005, 12:33 PM
I raise hand 1 and call hand 2. The only reasonable hands you lose value from by calling are KQ and AA, and he could even fold those (allthough I guess he won't.) Also A8 if that is possible, but if it is, I guess K8 and Q8 added together is about equally possible.

[ QUOTE ]
I think the problem really boils down to the fact that barring tilt, I almost never raise the river as a bluff-

[/ QUOTE ] No raising blocking bets?

soah
11-02-2005, 09:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the AK hand, what was it about this opponent that made you go for a river lead? My default here would be to check-call his busted draw or let him pounce when you "show weakness." As played it looks like you maximized value but he put you in a tough spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I expected him to call with many worse hands, but I wasn't sure what he'd bet with if I checked. Normally I had been giving up after the first barrel when I had nothing and was called on the flop, so I wasn't sure how my turn bet would affect him. Apparently I gave him too much credit.

[ QUOTE ]
On the 98s hand, wow that preflop and flop action is scary. He raises out of BB, which many won't do w/o the goods, then he check-minraises a better and caller on a queen high flop? Would he do this with AQ/KK/AA? Would he raise out of the BB with an 8? I hate to see monsters under the bed but that sounds like a line many donks would take with QQQ88 or an A8 type hand. If he would raise out of the BB with an 8, then I'm raising the river. If he wouldn't then I'm calling... but it seems so weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Remember he did reraise me one time from the SB with 82s. Granted it was only once (that I know of), but it's enough to indicate he doesn't need premiums to build the pot out of position, to say the least. His flop action is confusing. The limper's bet was very small, and at the time I felt there was a chance he was being stupid with something like AK (sensing weakness, and therefore feeling obligated to begin spewing chips). It occured to me that he may have QQ or even the other eight. Not much at all would have surprised me really at that point.

soah
11-02-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
No raising blocking bets?

[/ QUOTE ]

I raise weak bets when I think I can steal the pot. This is usually earlier in the hand, and it is usually in smaller pots. There are exceptions, of course. But I've been burned too much when someone makes the "blocking bet" on the river and goes ahead and calls a raise with TPTK or whatever.

But this could just be a symptom of overall bad river play. When bluffing I want to be able to represent something convincing, and if I don't raise without close to the nuts, then it often puts me in a position where I can't really represent the nuts (due to previous betting, etc) and I feel like a raise just stands out as a bluff.

It's funny... there are so many times when I just call on the end when I'm 90% sure I have the best hand, yet in the exact same spot with a busted hand I will fold because I don't think I can bluff very well. If I'd just figure out for sure whether they'd call, I could either get a lot more value from marginal hands or steal a lot more pots...

savman
11-02-2005, 09:59 PM
hand 2 sure looks exactly like qq in donkese and if u are ahead here this guy would have to be just braindead to call a river raise w/o a boat unless u have been blowing him off hands with pot bets in which case i would insta-jam...that being said, no way on earth i am raising river on hand 2, no way i am folding to this idiot either. a case could be made for raising hand 1, but only b/c this guy is such a donk he MAY pay it off.

as for raising the river as a bluff...this is a grand tactic to employ against known multi-tablers and unimaginative TAGS when they fire out textbook blocking bets...i do this with missed draws etc. u are giving up free money if u are not occassionally doing this against mtters, plus metagame considerations. per this line, i fired a "blocking bet" into a thinking aggro opponent tonight when i rivered broadway only to have him push 55...lol it was great. [/end brag]

xorbie
11-02-2005, 10:04 PM
I should add this thread to the digest.

TheWorstPlayer
11-03-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If I'd just figure out for sure whether they'd call, I could either get a lot more value from marginal hands or steal a lot more pots...

[/ QUOTE ]
Raise. They will call. You are missing a lot of value.

Kala1928
01-19-2006, 06:51 AM
Hand 2:

He is a LAG, he likes to bluff and push people out of pots. He is doing exactly this on hand 2. Because the limper made a weak bet on the flop he didn't give him credit for the trips, nor he did for you either, since you just called. And then he just continued pushing.
But since trips are not really that strong hand I would propably stop slowing it on the turn since c/c might lead you to worry too much (as it did, you rivered a boat yet you are still worrying about if you should call). You are certainly ahead on the river and a I'd say its an easy call.

Jabs
01-19-2006, 07:04 AM
Moving up to 1/2 and trying to make it to 2/4, I've become convinced that the difference between the moderate/break-even players in the mid-stakes games and the solid winners is a willing to raise and bet the river for value with marginal holdings. I suck at it so I continue to struggle with getting full value from the LAGs and LAPs who will call down light when they suspect you've been stealing more then your share.