PDA

View Full Version : Philosophy question

sigurrostyp
03-06-2006, 01:15 AM
I am minoring in Philosophy at University, and I have a very simple question to ask. Does philosophy really give us more answers or just more questions? These days I question everything from the mind and body problem to whether real numbers exist, and I just would like to know other peoples opinions on what philosophy actually gives us.

Lestat
03-06-2006, 01:20 AM
Philosophy is much more than the, "What does it all mean?" that most people think of it as. It is actually the study of logic. It teaches you how to approach problems, how to ask the right questions, etc. etc.

Being able to apply philosophy should serve you well in business, family, and all of life.

Prevaricator
03-06-2006, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does philosophy really give us more answers or just more questions?

[/ QUOTE ]

both.

sigurrostyp
03-06-2006, 01:26 AM
Thanks for the response Lestat you summed it up well.

bisonbison
03-06-2006, 01:51 AM
Philosophy doesn't give us anything. It reminds us of what we know.

Philo
03-06-2006, 04:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Philosophy is much more than the, "What does it all mean?" that most people think of it as. It is actually the study of logic. It teaches you how to approach problems, how to ask the right questions, etc. etc.

Being able to apply philosophy should serve you well in business, family, and all of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

The study of logic is but a small sub-topic within philosophy. Given what you say, I don't think you really meant to say that philosophy is the study of logic, but that studying philosophy teaches one how to think clearly and reason critically, which is certainly true (provided that one is studying the right kind of philosophy).

RBO
03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Philosophy is just a game with objectives and no rules.

Kwaz
03-06-2006, 10:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Philosophy doesn't give us anything. It reminds us of what we don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

madnak
03-06-2006, 10:52 AM
Philosophy has driven human endeavors since the beginning of civilization. It is extremely influential and meaningful.

Without philosophy there would have been no Ancient Greece, no Roman conquest, no Renaissance, no science, no concepts of liberty or integrity. Philosophy can be found as the basis of virtually all human advancement. The problem is what philosophy gives us is usually what we end up taking for granted.

bisonbison
03-06-2006, 01:56 PM

That's where you and I are going to differ.

eleventy
03-06-2006, 03:03 PM
How can you be reminded of what you don't know?

evolvedForm
03-06-2006, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How can you be reminded of what you don't know?

[/ QUOTE ]

Socrates could tell you.

Trantor
03-06-2006, 04:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I am minoring in Philosophy at University, and I have a very simple question to ask. Does philosophy really give us more answers or just more questions? These days I question everything from the mind and body problem to whether real numbers exist, and I just would like to know other peoples opinions on what philosophy actually gives us.

[/ QUOTE ]

Real numbers exist, that is why they call them real numbers. It is the imaginary numbers you should be having sleepless nights thinking about!

sigurrostyp
03-06-2006, 05:11 PM
Real numbers exist, that is why they call them real numbers. It is the imaginary numbers you should be having sleepless nights thinking about!

[/ QUOTE ]

Numbers are only ideas that us humans have come up to count things. They are not tangible, its just that we are born and it is one of the first things we learn so we just accept it blindly.

Mik1w
03-06-2006, 05:14 PM
imaginary numbers are not tangible either, but in exactly the same way they help us solve real problems. In that sense, should there even a divide between "real" and "imaginary" in a subject so abstract as maths?

bisonbison
03-06-2006, 05:17 PM
Socrates could tell you.

Except he's dead.

sigurrostyp
03-06-2006, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
imaginary numbers are not tangible either, but in exactly the same way they help us solve real problems. In that sense, should there even a divide between "real" and "imaginary" in a subject so abstract as maths?

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I feel that imaginary and real numbers are just concepts that we have come up.

HLMencken
03-06-2006, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. I feel that imaginary and real numbers are just concepts that we have come up.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. What's your point?

(By the way, I am using "words"--these are just concepts that we came up with--but they do the job.)

NoamChomsky
03-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Both of you are right, which is to say what you both are saying is true. But wait, truth is just something we came up with too.

Philo
03-06-2006, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Numbers are only ideas that us humans have come up to count things. They are not tangible, its just that we are born and it is one of the first things we learn so we just accept it blindly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy, do you need some philosophy.

sigurrostyp
03-07-2006, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh boy, do you need some philosophy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankyou:)

amirite
03-07-2006, 12:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That's where you and I are going to differ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can't we just agree that stating it one way implies the other?

bisonbison
03-07-2006, 04:15 AM
Can't we just agree that stating it one way implies the other?

Probably not.

moorobot
03-07-2006, 05:27 AM
At one point several years ago I thought philosophy lead to absolute truth; I do not disbelieve in this but I no longer believe in it. I think it accurate to say western philosophy at least gives you a way to analyaze "things" and topics, and that the history of philosphy shows that nobody has ever demonstrated anything: philosophy and, a fortiori, serious politcal discourse is simply sages talking endlessly

cambraceres
03-07-2006, 05:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

AHH!! I wanted a more general cliche

chezlaw
03-07-2006, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Socrates could tell you.

Except he's dead.

[/ QUOTE ]
That nice Mr Plato recorded his lessons.

chez