PDA

View Full Version : 10NL AJ TPTK - pot control, induce river bluff etc...

MrWooster
10-28-2007, 06:42 PM
Villain is 61/3 and pretty passive - very fishy... I am playing pretty aggro (about 22/17)

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

SB: $8.70
BB: $9.20
Hero (UTG): $9.45
BTN: $18.55

Pre-Flop: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/spade.gif dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, BTN folds, SB calls $0.35, BB calls $0.30

<font color="blue">This is standard, AJs UTG 4 handed</font>

Flop: ($1.20) Ahttp://www.legopoker.com/hh/images/club.gif 8http://www.legopoker.com/hh/images/diamond.gif Qhttp://www.legopoker.com/hh/images/club.gif (3 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">BB bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $2</font>, SB folds, BB calls $1.50

<font color="blue">OK, slightly scary, I have TPTK vs 2 opponents but luckily I have position. BBs bet is very small, maybe a FD trying to get in cheap or a strong hand looking for some action... given how passive he is pre-flop he could also have AQ here which is a worry. I cant see a call here, especially given the FD so I raise to $2...</font>

Turn: ($5.20) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

<font color="blue">BB calls, SB folds, turn is brick, looks good.... The pot is $5.20, so if I bet here I will be committed to getting it AI on the river, alternatively I can check behind and hope to induce a bluff on the river. Please comment on turn action as I was unsure as to what to do. I don't really want to play for stacks here as my hand is not very strong, so is checking behind here for pot control correct?</font>

River: ($5.20) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $0.50</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3</font>, BB calls $2.50

<font color="blue">River is blank and villain makes a very small bet which I assume to be a hopeless bluff and so I value-raise - is this correct or do you just call here?</font>

Results: $11.20 Pot ($0.50 Rake)

Comments on the turn and river would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shattered
10-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Preflop and flop are standard. Definitely bet turn, villains often donk the flop with flush draws and you need to protect your hand. As played you've underrepped your hand so raising the river for value is okay, but it would be much better if you had bet the turn and checked behind river instead.

BTW, you don't have TPTK in this hand.

MrWooster
10-28-2007, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

BTW, you don't have TPTK in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry - reading my own hand wrong.

Khaos4k
10-28-2007, 07:24 PM
I bet turn to protect agaisnt draws. Most of the time the min-bets come trying to draw cheaply. Need to make it so he can't.

MrWooster
10-28-2007, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet turn to protect agaisnt draws. Most of the time the min-bets come trying to draw cheaply. Need to make it so he can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

But I am not sure villain plays a draw like this... He is pretty passive, and so I don't think he bets the FD on the flop like that. What other (non FD) hands do we think he can have?

WhiteWolf
10-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Against a 61/3, you really need to value bet your top pair hands on all streets. Don't be afraid of his calls: only be afraid if he comes alive for a big bet on any street. Stay on the gas and expect to be shown Q5o a lot.

Khaos4k
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I am not sure villain plays a draw like this... He is pretty passive, and so I don't think he bets the FD on the flop like that. What other (non FD) hands do we think he can have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops didnt realize this was 10NL.

Hail Eris
10-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Don't play pot control against station fish on drawy boards. Nothing else to say really.

wingchunflush
10-28-2007, 08:27 PM
I am betting the turn here, why give him a free card?

corsakh
10-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Very bad. Pot control is good vs a tag who is not going to call much without a hand or heavy metagame. Here you have tons of draws on the flop an idiot who will probably stack off on a gutshot.

ps "Pretty passive". How does this go along with inducing a bluff?

members_only
10-28-2007, 09:37 PM
Like others, I think I like a turn bet for value vs. flush draws/worse one pair hands. If he has A8 or something, ul, it won't be very often.

Think your river play is good, he is probably making that bet with anything from Qx upwards so go for value. Kind of thin though as he'll fold a lot.

ZingZhang
10-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Villain is a fish..61/3 is conclusive lol. As such, he could have AQ/88/A8 here..but most of the time he won't and you'll have the best hand. I'm betting turn for value, whatever I think he'll call with Ax or a FD. I like turn check for pot control/bluff inducing vs some opponents but not a passive fish, if this particular opponent gets excited about their hand, almost by definition it'll be ahead of TPGK surely? Agreed that their bets look weak 'to us' but for fishy, these might be reasonable bets for Ak etc. Not saying thats whats happening here but one thing I've learned recently is that interpreting weak 10NL players bets by our logic is sometimes a good way to pay off their hand for more than they every would've gotten by themselves. /images/graemlins/blush.gif This is obv a good reason for taking good notes at showdown etc

Tito
10-28-2007, 11:15 PM
I like about $3.50 on the turn and push any non-club river. I don't like waiting to induce a bluff on the river and then raising it. Only hand I can see him calling with that you beat is KQ.