PDA

View Full Version : Taoism

joker fan
10-26-2007, 07:53 PM
What I know about Taoism is through a few books including The Tao of Pooh, and a fiction book I highly recommend The Warlord and a bit more. It strongly resonates with me, how would I pursue Taoism more? Is meditation a Taoist thing at all? Any and all thoughts on Taoism should go in this thread!

ncboiler
10-26-2007, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What I know about Taoism is through a few books including The Tao of Pooh...

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/1608/wpqd5.jpg

joker fan
10-26-2007, 07:57 PM
oh yeah, and of course I've looked at the I chi Ching or whatever it is but didn't really gain a lot from it, all the book seemed the same, sentences like "if you are empty then you are actually full" "be like a stream of water"

carlo
10-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Flow with Tao.

BigBuffet
10-26-2007, 11:26 PM
I think it means "go witht he flow" /images/graemlins/confused.gif

ChrisV
10-27-2007, 12:39 AM
The Tao Te Ching is pretty abstract. Try chasing down the writings of Chuang-Tzu. The "Inner Chapters" as they are called (the stuff that was definitely written by Chuang Tzu) have a ton of good stuff in them.

pvn
10-29-2007, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
how would I pursue Taoism more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pursue it less.

foal
10-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't know much about Taoism. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it actually has any useful teachings (that aren't common sense)? I mean I might find it 'resonates with me', but that doesn't necessarily make it worthwhile.

tame_deuces
10-29-2007, 06:30 PM
I know it doesn't translate well, so any brief summaries given in english probably won't do it any justice. Lost in translation for the win.

drzen
11-03-2007, 06:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about Taoism. Does anyone have an opinion on whether it actually has any useful teachings (that aren't common sense)? I mean I might find it 'resonates with me', but that doesn't necessarily make it worthwhile.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ask whether it is worthwhile, it is not worthwhile for you.

drzen
11-03-2007, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What I know about Taoism is through a few books including The Tao of Pooh, and a fiction book I highly recommend The Warlord and a bit more. It strongly resonates with me, how would I pursue Taoism more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go and sit by a river.

[ QUOTE ]
Is meditation a Taoist thing at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

The absence of meditation is a Taoist thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Any and all thoughts on Taoism should go in this thread!

[/ QUOTE ]

Taoism is destroyed by thoughts.

foal
11-03-2007, 12:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you ask whether it is worthwhile, it is not worthwhile for you.

[/ QUOTE ]
That was easily resolved. /images/graemlins/smile.gif I guess I'll stick with Buddhism.

twonine29
11-03-2007, 03:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
how would I pursue Taoism more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pursue it less.

[/ QUOTE ]

gold

PairTheBoard
11-03-2007, 04:23 PM
I think some study of Taoism is worthwhile