PDA

View Full Version : Artificial Intelligence & The future

Allinlife
10-26-2007, 03:50 PM
so what's gonna happen to the economy of this world once AI improves to the extent in which it can replace 30%(or more) of entire good/services industry?

My thinking is that it would completely jeopardize the stability of the global economy since it would result in such huge polarization of capital. So the working class will have hard time finding jobs, consumptions will drop, and the ruling class will suffer to because nobody would be able to buy their goods/services.

how about if the replacement approaches 100% where they are equal or go beyond human intelligence and we some how manage to keep them under control?

tame_deuces
10-26-2007, 03:55 PM
If I were to venture a guess; I'd say the same things as steam technology, electricity, assembly lines, computers and communication technlogy; Many thought they'd create huge unemployment - but instead you just get changed markets.

laurentia
10-26-2007, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

...and we some how manage to keep them under control...

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck with that.

chezlaw
10-26-2007, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so what's gonna happen to the economy of this world once AI improves to the extent in which it can replace 30%(or more) of entire good/services industry?

My thinking is that it would completely jeopardize the stability of the global economy since it would result in such huge polarization of capital. So the working class will have hard time finding jobs, consumptions will drop, and the ruling class will suffer to because nobody would be able to buy their goods/services.

[/ QUOTE ]
The main change is how many non-working people can be supported within economies. According to the tv last night there are 5 million+ people of working age in the UK who don't work plus kids and old people all supported within a population of ~60million. Avoiding politics this kinda thing would be totally impossible in a pre-industrial society - in a post AI society that figure will rise. It doesn't necessarily cause a problem, its lack of resources that causes problems.

[ QUOTE ]
how about if the replacement approaches 100% where they are equal or go beyond human intelligence and we some how manage to keep them under control?

[/ QUOTE ]
Intelligence isn't a big problem, bad SciFi has confused people. There will only be a problem if we create artifical conciousness - then we co-evolve or we die out.

chez

madnak
10-27-2007, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There will only be a problem if we create artifical conciousness - then we co-evolve or we die out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or the computers keep us as pets.

tame_deuces
10-27-2007, 07:43 PM
I'd expect artificial intelligence and humans to develop synergy. Humans have grown very close to computers in modern society, I will not be surprised if interface with human biology becomes a reality and artificial intelligence will become a natural extension of our capabilities.

With the danger of sounding a little prophetic, I think we will see a lot of incredible changes to humans and human society due to this, the possibilities are as they say - endless. It won't be us AND/OR them, it may be something new completely.