PDA

View Full Version : Flopped set.

Caveman172
10-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Did I play this hand poorly. I flopped a set on a scary board. Decided to bet out to see where I was at. Probably a stupid move since both stacks playing against me where short stacked. When they both moved all in, I figured that somebody had a straight; however, since it cost me only a small amount, I decided to call. My analysis in PokerStove indicates that I was only a 30% favorite to win.

Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 3 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

BTN: $5.75
Hero (SB): $15.25
BB: $4.85

Pre-Flop: J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif dealt to Hero (SB)
<font color="red">BTN raises to $0.40</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.90</font>, BB calls $0.80, BTN calls $0.50

Flop: ($2.70) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $2</font>, <font color="red">BB raises to $3.95 and is All-In</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $4.85 and is All-In</font>, Hero calls $2.85

Turn: ($16.35) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

River: ($16.35) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif (3 Players - 1 is All-In)

Results: $16.35 Pot ($0.80 Rake)
BTN mucked 9/images/graemlins/club.gif T/images/graemlins/club.gif and LOST (-$5.75 NET)
Hero showed J/images/graemlins/spade.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif (a full house, Jacks full of Eights) and WON $15.55 (+$9.80 NET)
BB mucked Q/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif and LOST (-$4.85 NET)

QuietEarner
10-25-2007, 08:24 PM
short stacks, you have to call here IMO.

Khaos4k
10-25-2007, 08:25 PM
You are being completely results oriented on this hand. Don't use PokerStove to put in what villain actually had, use it to put villain on a range. There are plenty of draws, two pair, even one pair hands that do this with 50bb stacks.

Not calling 2 shortie all-ins with a set is a crime.

Hebel
10-25-2007, 08:28 PM
First, raise more preflop, at least to 1.20. Otherwise you give people odds to call and draw out on you or call with overcards.

On the flop, lets talk pot odds for a second. You bet $2, BB raises to $4, and BTN raises to 4.85. That means there are 14 dollars (give or take a couple cents) in the pot. It is only 3 more to call. That means you are getting more than 4:1 odds on your money. This is an easy call even if someone has a straight, because they are giving you the odds to draw to quads/full house.

Ranma4703
10-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I call here 200bb deep. Folding is bad. Raise more pf, you minraised them. Thats bad. Raise to like 1.20 at least, call a push. They have QJ, AQ, TT (they are shorties! they are bad!), KQ, all kinds of [censored] much more often then something you are behind. Get set, get it deep.

bubaloo
10-25-2007, 08:30 PM
first off 3bet more preflop (at least 3x)
you should bet almost everytime you flop a set as the initial raiser and always when there are draws out. so i like the flop bet.

yeah they both went all in, but you cant automatically put them on a straight (especially since they are shortstacks). you should be putting villians on ranges of hands instead of specific ones. so, in your poker stove analysis you should be putting in hands like aq aj qj, you will even see stuff like qt/diamond draws here.

apart from preflop, this is wp.