PDA

View Full Version : 4 Betting

FuzzyDunlop
10-25-2007, 09:42 AM
Guys, just moved up from 25nl to 50 nl for first session at FTP and found the games a lot more aggro. Basically i felt like i was getting 3bet about every third hand i raised which im not used to at all. Didnt really ever get 3bet when i was holding anything better than ATo either which made things pretty tough.

I cut the session short to think of the best ways to deal with these players. Have now read various posts and rewatched a few videos on here and on CR and really just wanted to test my understanding.

Seems now that a lot of ppl either 4bet to 2.5x with premiums or hands like 89s to 4bet bluff cheaply and to let our opponent shove over the top, or 4bet shove with both premiums and suited aces sometimes too.

Really wanted to know if these plays are really necessary at 50nl as a lot of the posts i read were in mid-high stakes forums. If they are then i guess il really have to embrace variance lol.

So far im only used to 4betting pot with AA/KK/AK etc but it seems you cant really wait around for these spots any more.

Any comments/additions would be great thanx, Fuzzy

Profish2285
10-25-2007, 09:50 AM
I have not played 50 nl in a few months, but when I played it I didnt think there was a huge difference in skill level at all. I am sure there is a slight difference, but you more than likely had a bad session. Its a given there will be more regs, so there will be more aggressive play, but thats a given at every level. I would just keep playing my standard TAG game for a while until I gave re working my game any thought at all.

elcastigador
10-25-2007, 10:03 AM
IMO I'd fine tune your weaknesses against this type of play, if not contributed to a bad session, at 25NL. But, if you have a large enough bankroll and think you can adjust accordingly, I suggest the TAG play until you get the feel for it.

Baintz
10-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Definitely something I noticed too when moving up from 25NL to 50NL.
There are still plenty of fish at 50NL, but plenty more good positionally aware regs. There is much more 3 betting from the blinds to CO and button raises as the blinds know that most players are raising light from these positions.

For example, say you raise QQ from UTG. A 3-bet from any positon (unless they are a maniac) is going to be a big hand, and I don't like 4-betting. However, you raise QQ from button and get 3-bet from the blinds, I'm 4 betting 95% of the time.

If one of the blinds is 3-betting a lot of your LP raises, throw in a light 4 bet every now and again, or alternatively call lighter than usual (88 say) and be prepared to make a move on favourable flops as a lot of the time they won't have a hand that can stand any pressure.

Sometimes you'll run into AA/KK and look foolish, but a lot of the time they will fold, and they'll be less likely to 3-bet you light in future if they know you are capable of playing back at them.

STARSCREAM.
10-25-2007, 10:04 AM
In my experiences, 50NL has a huge variety of players, moreso in most other levels I do believe. You really need to focus to take full advantage of all of your opponents styles and tendancies. Make sure you have pt/pahud going the entire time, datamine when you're not playing. Right now I have 16 tables up and running on my laptop so when I get home i'll just have that much more info on players.

Don't forget to take avid notes while playing, when you're not in a hand on one table, be sure to be taking notes about players on others, you can never take too many notes.

Just realize that even though two people may have identical stats their styles and the way they think about the game can be entirely different. Just focus, take notes, and go over your sessions after in PT and i'm sure you'll be fine.

FuzzyDunlop
10-25-2007, 10:28 AM
cool thanks for the responses guys, il def play a few more thousand hands there as am well rolled. Think i must of just ran into quite a few hands this session so il TAG it up for a lil bit longer before i start playing back too much.

wslee00
10-25-2007, 10:43 AM
50NL is definitely more aggro in 25NL, with a bunch of regulars that will 3-bet you if they feel you are weak. However, as far as raising w/ draws and such, that sh*t still doesn't go on at 50NL, so watch out when someone raises you.

cashstrapped
10-25-2007, 11:01 AM
If you were being 3-bet every few hands then that was a bad session and not typical 50NL play. At least not on stars where i play

bozzer
10-25-2007, 11:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you were being 3-bet every few hands then that was a bad session and not typical 50NL play. At least not on stars where i play

[/ QUOTE ]

stars is much more passive IME.

prodonkey
10-25-2007, 11:10 AM
ya.. tons more 3 betting on full tilt