PDA

View Full Version : 25 NL: 3-bet pot with 68o against decent reg

Shattered
10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Villain is a predictable, solid 20/15 and on the passive side postflop. He's increased his stealing because the people to my left are really, really tight, and I've been playing tight as well because there was a donk that just busted. I've 3-bet about 3 or 4 times in the past hour at the table, but none of them against him and I won all my 3-bet pots.

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

Hero (BTN): $37
SB: $48.20
BB: $14.15
UTG: $25.80
CO: $36

Pre-Flop: 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif dealt to Hero (BTN)
UTG folds, <font color="red">CO raises to $1</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $4</font>, 2 folds, CO calls $3

Flop: ($8.35) J/images/graemlins/club.gif 5/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5.50</font>, CO calls $5.50

Turn: ($19.35) A/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
CO checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $13</font>, CO folds

Results: $19.35 Pot ($0.90 Rake)
Hero mucked 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif and WON $18.45 (+$8.95 NET)

In retrospect, I should've near-potted the turn. Everything else standard?

members_only
10-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Why do you think you should have potted the turn?

wems
10-24-2007, 08:50 PM
raise more on that flop.

corsakh
10-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Is this a brag, a beat, or what?

EMc
10-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Why did you pick this hand to 3 bet with?

Turn should be a little bigger, but overall its fine.

Shattered
10-24-2007, 09:23 PM
I figured I was going to take it down PF enough to make it profitable with ATC considering he'd been stealing quite a lot recently. This is the first time I've 3-bet with nonsuited semiconnectors ever, really, and I was checking to see if it was okay. I wouldn't have thought twice about 3-betting 86s but 86o didn't seem that much worse considering I figured villain to fold at least 75% of his range.

Members_only, I think betting turn larger is necessary because I'm saying the very bottom of my range is AQ and it's a 3-flush board, not to mention a larger bet increases my fold equity a bunch. After I make that bet on the turn it's pretty much all going in regardless if he raises me, so I might as well bet more.

Corsakh, I just wanted to see if this was a good way to exploit predictable TAGs and served as a line check for big pots after I've 3-bet light. It definitely wasn't meant as a brag post.

Wems, could you explain to me why you would raise more on that flop? ~3/4 pot seems standard to me on a flop that dry.

Schiester
10-24-2007, 10:23 PM
With regard to flop bet.. IMO.

If you have JJ+ (which you are repping here), you are probably going to be a little more concerned about people drawing to the flush considering your hand.

If I had a set/2p/overpair here I'm likely to drop ~80% pot on the flop. Lots of other people at this level do the same but bet slightly less on a draw / bluff (I assume).

So... if you had a made hand you may feel you need to bet more on this flop to protect against the draw. When I see people betting around 1/2 - 7/10 pot on a board like this, I bump with a reasonable hand.

If you play every good hand / draw / bluff with this sized bet than fine.

Just IMO anyway.

Schiester
10-24-2007, 10:25 PM
For reference, that flop bet is around 65% ~ if I were bluffing I may make it 7ish.

Shattered
10-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Thanks, my c-bet bluffs and valuebets tend to range from 2/3s to 3/4s pot unless the board is disgustingly wet as a standard, considering I 3-bet relatively frequently without the goods. I bet the same with AK and AA on that board, considering he only has AKcc, AQcc, and KQcc as reasonable drawing hands (which occasionally check-raise me and are a very small part of his range of 88+, AJ+). I've never looked on that as a leak before and raising every 2-flush board to over 3/4 pot seems expensive when a slightly over half-pot raise usually does just fine.

willyc
10-24-2007, 11:20 PM
I think you played this perfectly. I wouldn't bet more on the flop/turn. c-bets should be 1/2 to 2/3 pot in 3-bet pots, so this looks good.

bozzer
10-25-2007, 06:12 PM
looks good agree with making turn bet a little bigger.