PDA

View Full Version : Relativity question

soon2bepro
03-05-2006, 12:45 AM
If I understand this correctly, a spaceship moving faster than people down on earth (relative to earth) will have all it's physical events happen slower than they would down on earth (something to do with the vibration of the atoms?).

So my question is this: Assume there are people traveling in this spaceship, and they have a real-time audio communication with people down on earth (assume there's no lag or anything). How would the message be displayed to the people in the spaceship? Would the speed of the audio be accelerated? Would the message be experienced by the astronauts at a normal rate but with a delay increasing with the lenght of the message?

I can't figure this out. My knowledge on the subject is scarce. Help, anyone?

Sharkey
03-05-2006, 01:10 AM
According to relativity, anything moving relative to you will appear to be somewhat in slow motion. People in the spaceship will see you likewise.

chrisnice
03-05-2006, 03:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

So my question is this: Assume there are people traveling in this spaceship, and they have a real-time audio communication with people down on earth (assume there's no lag or anything).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not possible and that is the problem.

soon2bepro
03-05-2006, 05:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

So my question is this: Assume there are people traveling in this spaceship, and they have a real-time audio communication with people down on earth (assume there's no lag or anything).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not possible and that is the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I meant no substantial lag... A lag of 1 millisecond is irrelevant in this case (I think)

soon2bepro
03-05-2006, 06:42 AM
A friend helped me understand the subject, apparently I just got confused in something rather simple...

If the transmission is analogue, the astronauts will experience the message(s) as faster than normal; if it's digital with a timestamp, there'd be lag.