PDA

View Full Version : 50NL - Two double barrels.

Hail Eris
10-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Two hands that seem very similar to me.

H1:

Villain is 26/15/4.7 over 170 hands or so. Seems decent and aggro, but flatcalls way too much preflop and doesn't seem to play back often. I'm running like 28/20/2 and have played a bunch of HU pots with him, taking most with no resistance.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($58.55)
SB ($54.75)
BB ($110.80)
UTG ($22.15)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 4/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($4.25) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.25</font>, BB calls $3.25.

Turn: ($10.75) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>,

H2:

Villain is 13/11/8 over a couple hundred hands, obviously very nitty and very aggro. Not much history between us.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (5 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

SB ($52.65)
BB ($22.35)
UTG ($38.05)
Hero ($103.85)
Button ($43.30)

Preflop: Hero is MP with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $1.75, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($4.50) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, SB calls $3.50.

Turn: ($11.50) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $8</font>,

Thoughts? I find it hard to put either villain on a hand that can stand any heat given their aggro stats and the OOP flatcall and turn check on a threatening board.

kaz2107
10-20-2007, 09:44 PM
both look fine to me. obv this wont always work but that is fine. i like the first a lot more then the second as i im not sure he is capable of folding TT or 99 on that board but he is nitty so he very well might b capable of this.

vixticator
10-20-2007, 09:47 PM
First one is fine I think. You can't win at showdown. He could fold a Queen, maybe even a King here. You can easily have a flush in this spot. If he doesn't raise I am betting river too. Not standard, don't do it very often. Once you double barrell might as well triple on this kind of board IMO.

Second hand you can't rep any of the board and are going to get raised on the turn quite a bit by someone calling raises PF. Check turn and spike an Ace or Jack. Fold to river bet. Check behind. Ace high has showdown value in this situation. Not much though.

Peleus
10-21-2007, 12:07 AM
*Grunch*

Hate hand 1.

Preflop and flop is fine, but turn isn't very nice. If he is calling flop, he most likely caught a piece of it, or is drawing to his flush draw. The turn card does two things. Firstly it doesn't change any of his holdings, if he had TPTK before there is no reason to think he won't now etc. If it was an J 5 2 board and a K came on the turn, AJ gets a bit nervous because a higher pair could have been hit, that hasn't happened in that case.

If he did have a flush draw he just made it, and checking into the person who is fairly aggressive and firing multiple barrels such as you are is a standard play for a check raise. I doubt he is worried about the flush draw hitting you as you bet, unless he has seen you bet flush draws before.

In summary nothing has changed on the second barrel to make him not want to call a close to PSB which he did on the flop, and has actually made it worse for you as he could have improved some of his likely holdings.

Second hand isn't as bad as again flush draws are getting priced out and its conceivable they would call on the flop.

I might be biased as I think double barreling should be a very rare occurrence. When you look at the maths behind how often you have to succeed you see it should only be done in very favorable circumstances, which I think people grossly over estimate a lot of the time.