PDA

View Full Version : Is it a mistake to fold here pf???

Xexilla
10-20-2007, 12:35 AM
Poker Stars, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

Hero (CO): $58.85
BTN: $31.15
SB: $76.35
BB: $46.50
UTG: $48.75

Pre-Flop: 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif dealt to Hero (CO)
<font color="red">UTG raises to $1.50</font>, 2 folds, SB calls $1.25, BB folds

Results: $3.50 Pot ($3.50 Rake)

Is it a mistake to fold here preflop?? I know it depends upon the raiser but readless is it a mistake??

The_Bankroll
10-20-2007, 01:01 AM
I'd say so. I don't really see why your folding here, honestly. you are getting 3.5:1 on your money and you have a pocket pair. call, and most likely check-fold if you don't hit a set.

Lego05
10-20-2007, 01:11 AM
Huge mistake. Call for set value.

Kasane
10-20-2007, 01:13 AM
Big mistake to fold. Call for set value; and more than set value when you really get a lot of experience. You've got position, and you'll be able to float/steal many pots as well.

Lego05
10-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Kasane's right about it not all having to be for set value...but I don't think you're there yet.

Still an easy call just for set value.

WHITEBOYAEHS
10-20-2007, 01:15 AM
OP, a good rule of thumb for small pps like this is:

if the effective stack in the hand is 10x the raise amount, then calling for set value is +ev. (here the raise is to 1.50, so if you stand to win $15 or more from him, you should call.

Lego05
10-20-2007, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OP, a good rule of thumb for small pps like this is:

if the effective stack in the hand is 10x the raise amount, then calling for set value is +ev. (here the raise is to 1.50, so if you stand to win $15 or more from him, you should call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually...it's more like.....when you flop a set you need to be able to on average make 11.7 times the amount that you invested preflop in order to be able to profitably set mine.

Rememeber you won;t always win when you flop a set.

DBitel did the math that came out to that somewhere in small stakes. I don't know where this thread is. For some reason it's the one really good thread that I can no longer ever refind and isn't in any collections/archives or w/e that I know of.

WHITEBOYAEHS
10-20-2007, 01:20 AM
11.7??? damn dude im gunna owe u some money...uve just helped me find a huge leak in my game...tytyty

Xexilla
10-20-2007, 01:44 AM
tytyty indeed.. this is all really helpful guys I knew it was a mistake when I folded.... sickest thing is I would of flopped a set and the original raiser had Kings and the small blind was slow playing Aces... so sick. Thanks again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Lego if u find that thread or the info please pm it me I am really interested. cheers.

sightless
10-20-2007, 02:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
tytyty indeed.. this is all really helpful guys I knew it was a mistake when I folded.... sickest thing is I would of flopped a set and the original raiser had Kings and the small blind was slow playing Aces... so sick. Thanks again /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Lego if u find that thread or the info please pm it me I am really interested. cheers.

[/ QUOTE ]

lolz

Xexilla
10-20-2007, 02:38 AM
u think its funny imagine being there..... playing 5 tables I click fold realize it's a mistake at least think it was hence my post then lose out on 2 buyins.

whyzze
10-20-2007, 02:41 AM
i frequently fold pps from UTG. Ill be watching the cards come, ill see a 9 peel so I hover over the fold button, and then before i realize I have 2 9s I click fold...then it turns out I would have always flopped a set.

vixticator
10-20-2007, 03:19 AM
I sometimes fold if it's just to me and raiser is loose, and doesn't go to showdown much, because set mining doesn't work a lot here. When someone else joins the pot it's def auto-call. Rarely fold in any situation but I do think it's correct sometimes.

ICMoney
10-20-2007, 03:53 AM
If raiser is loose I might 3b instead of just calling.

Either way, I'm VPIP here.

[ QUOTE ]
I sometimes fold if it's just to me and raiser is loose, and doesn't go to showdown much, because set mining doesn't work a lot here. When someone else joins the pot it's def auto-call. Rarely fold in any situation but I do think it's correct sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]