PDA

View Full Version : AK hits. I raise the flop and check it down.

poincaraux
10-19-2007, 04:45 PM
It seemed like most things I wanted a call from were folding and most things I wanted a fold from were calling.

It also seemed like a spot where I'm expected to bet, so I was a little afraid of a check-raise, which would suck.

Standard, or fire again, and why?

Full Tilt Poker, $0.25/$0.50 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

BB: $35.25
UTG: $53.80
Hero (CO): $50
BTN: $56.05
SB: $70.50

Pre-Flop: A/images/graemlins/spade.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif dealt to Hero (CO)
UTG folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $1.75</font>, 2 folds, BB calls $1.25

Flop: ($3.75) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $2</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $8</font>, BB calls $6

Turn: ($19.75) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif [ A/images/graemlins/heart.gif ] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($19.75) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif [ 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif ] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

badatmath
10-19-2007, 04:52 PM
I would check turn too. On the turn, KQ is scared of the ace and flush, and if he had QhJh or something, it just hit. I like to bet half the pot on rivers like this though.

Sniiii
10-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I also check this turn, and usually the river as well. What is villain calling you with here, that you beat?

Lego05
10-19-2007, 04:56 PM
Checking turn is good. I might go ahead and turn my 2 pair into a bluff on the river.

DblBarrelJ
10-19-2007, 04:58 PM
I like the turn check, depending on my feeling, I may or may not have fired a bet of about $15 on the river.

Stats/reads on villain would've given me a better indicator as to whether I would've bet or not.

badatmath
10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I also check this turn, and usually the river as well. What is villain calling you with here, that you beat?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing, but he might fold a 9 or 3h4h and stuff.

DblBarrelJ
10-19-2007, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing, but he might fold a 9 or 3h4h and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, you're generally hoping he's the type of player who will lay down trips or a small flush fearing you've slowplayed a boat.

Whatever you bet, you're betting with the sole intent of driving him out of the pot, there is no value here whatsoever.

poincaraux
10-19-2007, 05:09 PM
OK, I think I need some help here then.

I can't imagine betting on the river.

If it's a bluff, what better hands fold?
If it's for value, what worse hands call?

Please help.

badatmath
10-19-2007, 05:11 PM
It is a bluff, see above.

Lego05
10-19-2007, 05:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Please help.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't always bet river...but I might.

It's a bluff. He like never ever calls with worse. I'm mostly targeting a 9 or something like Th8h or 6h5h or Kx8h and like those hands where he has one ragged heart.

Depends a bit on opponent.

evil_ronnie
10-19-2007, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Please help.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh see above - betting the river would purely be a bluff. better hands that fold are weak hearts/trips scared of fourth heart.

poincaraux
10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
But I have to bet a lot to fold out a 9, right? So he has to 1) have a 9 a lot and 2) fold it to my bet a lot for that to be right.

What size bet do you think is best for folding out the hearts? In my experience, they always call, but I don't know if I'm just betting the wrong amount..

poincaraux
10-19-2007, 05:25 PM
By the way, I'm not trying to be too argumentative .. I'm just trying to understand. I wanted to bet during the hand, but I couldn't convince myself to do it.

Lego05
10-19-2007, 05:26 PM
If I bet I'm betting like 15.

Win.by.TKo
10-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Without knowing Villain's stats, I would have played it the same way.

The only other play I may have tried would have been a 1/2 pot bet or a little less to try to simulate a value bet. I must admit that I have not played rivers well in the past, though.

evil_ronnie
10-19-2007, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Without knowing Villain's stats, I would have played it the same way.

The only other play I may have tried would have been a 1/2 pot bet or a little less to try to simulate a value bet. I must admit that I have not played rivers well in the past, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed i think bluffing the river here is very marginal esp. against an unknown.

Sniiii
10-19-2007, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I'm not trying to be too argumentative .. I'm just trying to understand. I wanted to bet during the hand, but I couldn't convince myself to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd play it exactly like you did, unless I was certain villain was one who could lay a 9 or a low flush.

poincaraux
10-19-2007, 06:41 PM
OK, thanks for the comments.

In the actual hand, he showed down Q/images/graemlins/club.gif9/images/graemlins/club.gif.