PDA

View Full Version : Missed flop- do you cbet into short stack (20BB remaining)

RedSoxFan
10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
This is Villain's 6th hand at table- played 4 and raised 3- hasn't seen a showdown yet. I 3bet hoping to take it down or entice a push.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

BB ($21.30)
UTG ($8.50)
MP ($7.60)
CO ($25.85)
Button ($25.35)
Hero ($36.30)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $3</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $2.

Flop: ($6.25) 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

I normally cbet 90% of time against 1 villain but didn't here. My cbet here would put him AI so thinking I'd only get called by hands that beat me (pocket pairs or paired the jack). I didn't think I had any fold equity with him having so little left and didn't really want to push having nothing. Am I am little school girl for playing this way?

Turn: ($6.25) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Same thought here- although now I am starting to feel like a little school girl.

River: ($6.25) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $5.5</font>, Hero folds.

His range is wide and I basically only beat a bluff. Check (after punching self in balls to make sure still had some)- think at this point I appeared so weak, atc is raising.

So checking flop, turn, and river after 3betting is a big weak passive thing to do (would never do it against a normal stack on this board)- any suggestions on playing the short stack would be helpful.

And seriously WTF- why are people buying in with 25-30 blinds? Are they scared to lose their money? MP joined table w $8 at same time.

checktheriver
10-19-2007, 10:52 AM
I think pushing preflop is good here, he's probably calling you with AJ+, and there's only one other player left to act. As played I don't like this spot but I probably push the flop.

ShipitFMA
10-19-2007, 11:32 AM
When in this spot, i raise to 3.5-4, just so on ANY flop i can shove easily without it being an awkward bet size / wont only mean we're getting looked up when we're beat. As played shove flop 100% of the time

Win.by.TKo
10-19-2007, 11:49 AM
I agree with Shipit here, as betting to around half his stack would make your flop decision much easier. That would leave the pot at $8.25, while villain would have only $4.50 left. This will put all the money in the middle after the flop regardless. Sure AA &amp; KK is in his range, but with an apparent LAP, those two hand are only a small part of his range.

However, it concerns me when somebody buys in short. I watch that player, looking for a tight set-miner type. This player has shown that he is not playing that style. Therefore, I think putting half his stack here is the best play.

Lego05
10-19-2007, 05:15 PM
You know he's short so don't put yourself in this position....Raise more pre-flop, then shove any flop.

evil_ronnie
10-19-2007, 05:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know he's short so don't put yourself in this position....Raise more pre-flop, then shove any flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much difference is it going to make? villains stack is $8.50 at the start of the hand.

reraising to 3 makes a pot of $6.25 with $5.50 left to bet.

reraising to 3.5 makes a pot of $7.25 with $5 left.

reraising to 4 makes a pot of $8.25 with $4.50 left.

are you saying we want to give him a better price to call after the flop (in the case of 4, ~3-1) so villain is more likely to call a shove with air?

Lego05
10-19-2007, 05:35 PM
Raise to 5 pre-flop. Hell just shoving in his whole stack pre-flop is good.

But yea and also if you raise to 5 he may call that and then fold when he misses the flop or when there's overcards to his small pair...people always surprise me.

kaz2107
10-19-2007, 05:53 PM
havent read n e of the other replies. but u have AK against a short stack. this board is pretty meh. i bet and call a shove all day here. force him to call/shove with his mid pair [censored] all night long against u. and if he calls u have dece equity n e ways

PS
make it 4 preflop and this flop situation will b slightly more comfortable

takingcontrol
10-19-2007, 06:45 PM
raise more pf, get him committed, shove any flop