PDA

View Full Version : Bet the river?

oneeyejak
10-17-2007, 09:04 PM
This one had me baffled. Villian had just sat down a few hands earlier and I had no stats on him. Should I be value betting this or just checking it?

Absolute Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.25/$0.50
5 players
Converter (http://www.neildewhurst.com/hand-converter)

Stack sizes:
UTG: $92.95
Hero: $89.26
Button: $30.75
SB: $29.05
BB: $67.20

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif
UTG calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.5</font>, 2 folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif ($7.75, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $5</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif ($22.75, 3 players)
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $25</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: T/images/graemlins/spade.gif ($72.75, 2 players)
BB checks,

Results:
Final pot: $72.75

Aceium
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
Yes you should be betting this river. You don't think that he floated you on the flop with 78 do you? IF you do you can check behind. But I don't think he's playing this way with 78. If he had decided to float with it on the flop I might think that he would choose to semi-bluff with it on the turn.

But on the river here, there should be many worse hands that will call you. Only straights are beating you here so I would try to extract value from a lower set or two pair.

whyzze
10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
as played, shove the river.

Your turn bet is terrible. Make it 19 or so. Dont overbet.

You're No Daisy
10-17-2007, 09:24 PM
You're kidding, right? I seriously doubt someone is 87 on the flop. On the river villain has $34.70 left...put him all in. You're likely to see 22-88, JJ-QQ and a busted flush draw that won't call. Hopefully villain didn't river a set of tens on you, but that's monsters under the bed thinking. As played, put the BB all in.

AC

liquidstealth
10-18-2007, 02:39 PM
I bet less on the turn (15-19 and push the river.

No need to overbet the turn when you are crushing him. You want him with you.

If he hit a set with the T on the river then so be it. I have trouble putting him on 78 as well. Since he called 25...push the river.

Berky
10-18-2007, 02:44 PM
shove and it's not even close.

ICMoney
10-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Man, what is this??

As other have said, you are lucky to get a call on the turn. Sure you hit a set, but don't get so excited. Just bet a reasonable amount. 17 is fine on the turn.

I could possible see where you are coming from if the river was the T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.

This is a bet 100% of the time.
The pot will be $100+ when you shove $35.

Ship it.

buttonpusher
10-18-2007, 04:08 PM
This is an easy shove.

oneeyejak
10-18-2007, 06:16 PM
I had all day at work to think about the hand. No doubt I should have pushed the river. I had just gotten aces cracked a few hands before by small suited connectors that flopped a flush. That hand was still in the back of my mind and it shouldn't have been. It was clouding my judgment. It wasn't a bad beat or anything and I wasn't tilting, just still thinking about it.

The overbet on the turn was because I was up against two opponents. I have a much harder time with these situations than I do against only one opponent. For some reason I feel like I need to bet more. Apparently, though, that is not correct as far as everyone who has posted is concerned.

Thanks for the input.

By the way, I checked and villian turned over A6 offsuit.