PDA

View Full Version : [2NL] Flopping an ace with AQ in raised pot

Styhn
10-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Am I really playing too tight to fold AQ here? I really thought he had AK or AA but because it's just 2NL he could have any ace in which case I had him dominated.

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 6 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

BTN: $4.60
SB: $0.91
BB: $3.05
Hero (UTG): $5.50
MP: $1.56
CO: $3.21

Pre-Flop: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif dealt to Hero (UTG)
<font color="red">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, MP calls $0.08, CO folds, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.20</font>, 2 folds, Hero calls $0.12, MP folds

Flop: ($0.51) A/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.26</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $1</font>, Hero folds

Results: $1.03 Pot ($0.05 Rake)
BTN mucked and WON $0.98 (+$0.52 NET)

bsball8806
10-15-2007, 08:24 AM
aah get it AI on this flop, he'll do this with any A here. Don't worry about AA or AK, I'm sure at 2 NL AJ or A10 would be played the exact same

TTStrangler
10-15-2007, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
aah get it AI on this flop, he'll do this with any A here. Don't worry about AA or AK, I'm sure at 2 NL AJ or A10 would be played the exact same

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Villain 3bet pre flop and is still showing a lot of strength on the flop. Even at 2NL I think we need to give unknown a little more credit than this. Pushing here for 200 more BB seems a little like spew, and there is def no fold equity. Don't like the donk bet size either, should have been bigger. As played I fold.

Styhn
10-15-2007, 12:08 PM
So I should've bet something like 40 cent?

Pokey
10-15-2007, 12:47 PM
If you don't fall madly in love with this flop, you have no business calling the preflop raise.

Either you think your TP2K is going to be good and worth your stack or you don't. If this is the kind of guy who will pay you off big-time with weaker aces then you happily call preflop and go to war on this flop, check-raising the flop with a pot-sized raise and potting the turn and river, getting it all-in whenever villain lets you.

If, on the other hand, you're not comfortable putting your money on the line with this kind of flop, you need to fold to the preflop raise. There's no sense in mixing it up with a hand that you're going to fold even when it HITS. Folding AQs in this situation preflop is probably not a big leak considering how deep you are and your total lack of reads. Smooth-calling, leading an ace-high flop, and folding to a raise IS a big leak. A HUGE leak, actually. Decide preflop what you're going to do and then stick to it.

Styhn
10-15-2007, 12:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you don't fall madly in love with this flop, you have no business calling the preflop raise.

Either you think your TP2K is going to be good and worth your stack or you don't. If this is the kind of guy who will pay you off big-time with weaker aces then you happily call preflop and go to war on this flop, check-raising the flop with a pot-sized raise and potting the turn and river, getting it all-in whenever villain lets you.

If, on the other hand, you're not comfortable putting your money on the line with this kind of flop, you need to fold to the preflop raise. There's no sense in mixing it up with a hand that you're going to fold even when it HITS. Folding AQs in this situation preflop is probably not a big leak considering how deep you are and your total lack of reads. Smooth-calling, leading an ace-high flop, and folding to a raise IS a big leak. A HUGE leak, actually. Decide preflop what you're going to do and then stick to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your reply. I am still a inexperienced beginner and I'm sure there are a lot of leaks in my game, that's why I'm starting to try to analyze them /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But if I understand you correctly, it wasn't a bad decision at all to fold AQ preflop because I didn't have any reads on my opponent?

TTStrangler
10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your reply. I am still a inexperienced beginner and I'm sure there are a lot of leaks in my game, that's why I'm starting to try to analyze them /images/graemlins/smile.gif

But if I understand you correctly, it wasn't a bad decision at all to fold AQ preflop because I didn't have any reads on my opponent?

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokey's advice is so much better than mine I don't even know where to start, I obviously still have much to learn before spewing out more bad advice on here. But anyway, yes, just folding to the pre flop 3bet here against an unknown would not be be a terrible idea. Without a read and a clear plan, calling 3bets pre flop with AQ-AJ ect can get you into some big trouble.

Styhn
10-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Right. Thanks for the advice.