PDA

View Full Version : 10NL - A9s in BigBlind

bober2
10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
How should this be handled?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool (http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php) from FlopTurnRiver.com (http://www.flopturnriver.com) (Format: 2+2 Forums)

MP2 ($4)
CO ($10.80)
Button ($11.20)
SB ($13.65)
Hero ($10.65)
UTG ($11.55)
UTG+1 ($6)
MP1 ($2)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. MP2 posts a blind of $0.10. MP1 posts a blind of $0.10.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.10, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 (poster) checks, CO calls $0.10, Button calls $0.10, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.70) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1.5</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $3.5</font>, Hero calls $2.

Turn: ($7.70) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $4.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7.05</font>, SB calls $2.55.

River: ($21.80) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $21.80

iheartponeez
10-14-2007, 10:19 PM
I don't know about the raise on the turn. By raising the flop and then leading the turn, the villain is indicating a strong hand. You're holding a weakish ace with a flush draw. I think you ought to have just called, since you have to assume you're behind and you're only charging yourself more money to draw, and opening the betting for a reraise, and if you saw a 3-bet shove you'd have to fold.

TTStrangler
10-14-2007, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you're only charging yourself more money to draw, and opening the betting for a reraise

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero pushed turn.

I really fear were no good here with Villain's line, but folding the turn just seems too weak. I guess calling is the right play, but are we ever going to fold the river after calling a turn bet? Aren't we committed after calling the turn?

bsball8806
10-14-2007, 11:06 PM
You have NO fold equity on the turn, therefore I don't like this shove. By bet/3betting the flop, SB is representing a strong hand that won't fold, without even considering the incredible pot odds he's getting if you shove the turn.

I much prefer calling here and reevaluating the river. If you miss, I just fold river. If you make your flush, obv shove.

finalboarder
10-14-2007, 11:17 PM
I don't play 8-handed much but In a 6-handed game I would have probably called the initial bet, probably have folded to a re-raise. As played after the flop you have put in over a 1/3 of your stack with an A and weak kicker. If the flop went through with no re-raise I would have re-raised on the turn with the flush draw and tp. As played the turn is a tough spot. I think I would tend to lean towards just a call, and see what happens on the river.

As for the range of the villian I think you are behind. I think this is almost never a bluff, he might have A3? could also have a higher ace or set depending on how passive he is pre-flop. Some reads on villian would be nice.

iheartponeez
10-14-2007, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Hero pushed turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not very observant.

So apologies, but I stand by my "call, not shove" policy.

TTStrangler
10-14-2007, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hero pushed turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not very observant.

So apologies, but I stand by my "call, not shove" policy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, it just seems weird stacking off 75% of our $, then folding the river.

thijsr
10-14-2007, 11:39 PM
What is up with the weird raise on the flop, raise pot if you want to raise.
Fold to rr on the flop.
As played you either put all your money in on the turn or fold, calling makes no sense.

bsball8806
10-15-2007, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What is up with the weird raise on the flop, raise pot if you want to raise.
Fold to rr on the flop.
As played you either put all your money in on the turn or fold, calling makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

raising this turn makes no sense here. We're almost definitely behind, and like I said before, have NO fold equity. The whole point of pushing with TP/nut flush draws is that your FE makes the play profitable. I don't even see it as a question that we need to flat call here, and reevaluate depending on whether we make our hand.

If river is a blank, and he shoves, I think we can fold and save the 2.50 that we would lose if we shoved turn. On the river, even if it is a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, he's shoving or calling a shove.

I think villain has 33, K3, or A3.

marimba man
10-15-2007, 02:15 PM
Raising the flop is bad.

Calling the flop reraise is bad.

Raising the turn is bad.

7 people saw the flop and you were willing to go broke with TPNK - this is HORRIBLE!!!

Antinome
10-15-2007, 05:08 PM
A9 is at an interesting spot.... AT+ usually will do a raise preflop, so it is probably best on the flop. It isn't precisely TPNK. I call flop, call turn, and call river as the cards came out. If the cards were less favorable, or a passive player was going wild, I might fold, and if everyone gives up turn, I might vbet river.

check-call-call-call may not be the sexiest line ever invented, but it is the only workable line I see here barring the preflop squeeze - cbet line which is better if you think you can get it HU most of the time.