PDA

View Full Version : 2 pair and nut flush draw faces a raise on straightenig board

CianCrillz
10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
Just joined the table, literally my second hand, no read on villain. I flop a big hand and make two pair on the turn, unsure how to proceed.

Do i assume I am ahead here and raise?
Do I cold call and hope for club on river?
What if I don't get a club on the river, do I check?

Poker Stars, $0.01/$0.02 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 4 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

BB: $4.97
UTG: $5.15
BTN: $2.77
Hero (SB): $3.01

Pre-Flop: J/images/graemlins/club.gif A/images/graemlins/club.gif dealt to Hero (SB)
UTG folds, BTN calls $0.02, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.08</font>, BB folds, BTN calls $0.06

Flop: ($0.18) T/images/graemlins/club.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.10</font>, BTN calls $0.10

Turn: ($0.38) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">Hero bets $0.30</font>, <font color="red">BTN raises to $0.90</font>, <font color="red">Hero?</font>,

Nemesis69
10-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I'm shoving here. Villian likes his hand very much. You have a hand with a lot of showdown value and the nut flush draw. If you just call now. The money will be going in on the river imo. If he has a set, or a straight it's just a cooler. I'm stacking off here.

AZplaya
10-12-2007, 02:31 PM
3 bet all in looks good...you have a monster.

bsball8806
10-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Shove is good here, We have 9 clubs as outs, 2 jacks, 2 aces, and there's even a (very) small chance we're ahead.

BevillTheDevil
10-12-2007, 03:31 PM
bet more on the flop and push over the top on the turn. If villian has a set/KQ its a cooler.

Aceium
10-12-2007, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Shove is good here, We have 9 clubs as outs, 2 jacks, 2 aces, and there's even a (very) small chance we're ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think that there's only a very small chance that we're ahead here. Villan just called on the flop so you must be putting him on KQ here?

buttonpusher
10-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I would shove here. You are very likely to be ahead already and if you are behind to a set or kq, you still have alot of outs to win.

bsball8806
10-12-2007, 04:25 PM
just realized its .01/.02, yeah there's a somewhat decent chance we're ahead. It doesn't change our decision to shove, though

Pokey
10-12-2007, 05:55 PM
Raise more preflop. After Button calls and with me OOP, I'm raising to about $0.15 or so -- if he wants to play, he's got to pay. Alternatively, you can just limp preflop and play it for a monster hit. (That's probably not a good choice for normal players, but it's how I would have done it. What can I say -- I'm weird in the SB.)

Bet more on the flop. You're barely putting in 1/2 the pot; at these stakes, you'll need to bet damn near the full pot to have any respect for your c-bets. As played I'd make it $0.15 to $0.20 on the flop -- if he wants to keep going, he's got to pay the price.

On the turn you again make a flimsy bet. You've got two pair but the board is quite scary with two flush draws and some potential straight fears. I'd probably throw in $0.35 or $0.40 as my turn bet in this situation -- I'm OOP and I don't want villain getting a cheap look at the river. As played, I'm just going to three-bet all-in. If villain has some sneaky hand I've still got my flush and boat outs to a winner; otherwise, I'm ahead. I think I'm ahead of villain's calling range often enough for it to be +EV to push. It also avoids an awkward river decision where I could make a huge FTOP mistake. Instead, I'd rather have VILLAIN make the mistakes on the turn.

CianCrillz
10-12-2007, 06:02 PM
thanks for all the input, just one thing I would like to ask about over betting the pot. I tend to never do this, and I am wondering if it is something I should be doing more often.

In the hand I actually did push all in, the villain called and actually had KQ. I hit a club on the river and took the pot.

Pokey
10-12-2007, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I tend to never do this, and I am wondering if it is something I should be doing more often.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only at the monopoly money tables ($10NL and lower). Once you reach $25NL it starts to play like...well, like a poker table. At these stakes you can overbet the pot preflop, flop, turn, and river and still get called by 2PNK and crap. You've got no folding equity, so you might as well take advantage of it when you hit a big hand.