PDA

View Full Version : Should I fear this flush ?

DickieBets
10-12-2007, 08:58 AM
No reads .

What is a better way to have played this hand ?
How likely am I to be good here ?

Poker Stars, $0.10/$0.25 NL Hold'em Cash Game, 5 Players
LegoPoker (http://www.legopoker.com)Hand History Converter (http://www.legopoker.com/hh)

Hero (BB): $25
UTG: $15.15
CO: $7.85
BTN: $15.60
SB: $25

Pre-Flop: K/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/club.gif dealt to Hero (BB)
UTG folds, CO calls $0.25, BTN folds, SB calls $0.15, Hero checks

Flop: ($0.75) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (3 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $0.75</font>, Hero calls $0.75, CO folds

Turn: ($2.25) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif (2 Players)
<font color="red">SB bets $1.75</font>, <font color="red">Hero raises to $3.50</font>, SB calls $1.75

River: ($9.25) J/images/graemlins/club.gif (2 Players)
SB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="red">SB raises to $20.50 and is All-In</font>, Hero ???

n4rf
10-12-2007, 09:07 AM
Bah, check raise on river usually means big hand. If villain is willing to check to you, knowing that you will bet, I think he has a big hand here. Could be a split with the straight, but I don't like your turn raise. Raise a little more (to minimum 5.50) to see where the hell you are in this hand. If sb calls, I'd consider checking river if checked to, your hand isn't very strong since it's very likely that villain has the same straight, or the flush. I'd fold the river, but the hand could have been played better.

Shattered
10-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Minraise on turn is terrible, pop it up to at least 5$ if you're going to raise. In this spot I just call and bet river if checked to, he's not really calling a raise with worse.
As played, easy fold on the river. Villain knows you have at least a 7-high straight and you're hoping for a chop.

DickieBets
10-13-2007, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Minraise on turn is terrible, pop it up to at least 5$ if you're going to raise. In this spot I just call and bet river if checked to, he's not really calling a raise with worse.
As played, easy fold on the river. Villain knows you have at least a 7-high straight and you're hoping for a chop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity - could you or someone else explain why a $5.00 raise on the turn is better than a min-raise - I figured at the time that the minraise was close to a pot sized bet and would give the opponent poor odds to chase if he had a draw.

bored
10-13-2007, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiosity - could you or someone else explain why a $5.00 raise on the turn is better than a min-raise - I figured at the time that the minraise was close to a pot sized bet and would give the opponent poor odds to chase if he had a draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

Minraise is no where close to a pot size raise and it gives him more than 4:1 to chase any draw he has.

ShipitFMA
10-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I raise turn to 5 and check behind on the river, as played i cant call here hoping for a chop

DickieBets
10-15-2007, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Minraise is no where close to a pot size raise and it gives him more than 4:1 to chase any draw he has.

[/ QUOTE ]

After his bet on the turn, the pot was $4.00 - a minraise was $3.50 ?!?!

CruS
10-15-2007, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain bets 1.75, the lowest amount you can raise to is 3.50 (double his bet) AKA "minraise"

kroeliewoelie
10-15-2007, 10:30 AM
You have to include your hypothetical call in the calculation of the potsize, so that would be 4+1.75=5.75.

I don't mind the turn-minraise though to get value from 2 pair hands, but I do hate the riverbet. Since you have already signalled that your either have a straight or a flush and he called anyway, so he is not calling you with anything worse on the river. There is no value in your river bet.

catoandtonic
10-15-2007, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After his bet and your minraise the pot was 7.50 and he had to call 1.75. Villain is getting better than 4:1 to call your turn minraise.

As played, I would fold river. He is not going to be bluffing or overvaluing 2 pair/trips often enough to make this call profitable.

Aceium
10-15-2007, 11:29 AM
Don't minraise, make a real raise.

If I were villan here I would probably read your minraise as strength - because that's what a lot of people do when they have a good hand. I think it's their way of "not wanting to lose the other guy". But anyway, if I were villan I would not stack into you without a flush after you minraised me on the turn.

DickieBets
10-15-2007, 12:40 PM
OK - thanks alot - now I get it. That was actually a mistake I've been making all along - I was thinking in terms of what I bet - not what he had to call. I'm glad I cleared it up :-)

Martin

Mr_Pathetic
10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
try using this script it takes all the guesswork out of making bets.

http://overcards.com/wiki/moin.cgi/BetPot

ev_slave
10-15-2007, 01:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK - thanks alot - now I get it. That was actually a mistake I've been making all along - I was thinking in terms of what I bet - not what he had to call. I'm glad I cleared it up :-)

Martin

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but although people went through a few explanations why it isn't a "pot-sized raise" they didn't actually explain what it is.

As mentioned above pot is (after your call of villain's bet) $5.75. So if you want to do a PSB, you call the $1.75, and then raise $5.75 for a total bet of $7.50. This is what the amount would be if you click on the "Bet Pot" button (if PS has one, I'm not sure). This would require that he call $5.75 to win 11.50 and will only be getting 2:1. Now you've put him to a decision where he either takes bad odds (and should clearly fold) or calls, tipping you that he has a strong hand.

As mentioned, the bet to ~$5.5 will do this job also, but this is the logic behind it all.