PDA

View Full Version : Antigua's latest submission is available for you armchair lawyers

Jay Cohen
10-10-2007, 03:46 PM
http://www.antiguawto.com/WTOListPg.html

Legislurker
10-10-2007, 03:54 PM
Someone else try submission 77. I get an error message trying to load it into adobe.

LeapFrog
10-10-2007, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone else try submission 77. I get an error message trying to load it into adobe.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am able to open it with foxit reader.

whangarei
10-10-2007, 07:57 PM
Thanks for keeping us up to date, Jay. Especially considering our poker bias. I for one will be happy to donk off some money betting sports at your site once you prevail.

I can't open the document either. Could someone provide a summary or analysis?

tangled
10-10-2007, 08:07 PM
This is the last submission based on dates that I noticed at the above link (oct4). It is pretty long. Does this help?:

http://www.antiguawto.com/wto/77_ABFirstSubmission22_6_4Oct07.pdf

LeapFrog
10-10-2007, 08:08 PM
foxit reader is free guys... I am neither qualified to summarize nor analyize /images/graemlins/wink.gif Here is the last paragraph --

[ QUOTE ]

132. For all of the reasons stated in this Submission, Antigua requests authorisation from the
DSB for the suspension of concessions or other obligations with respect to the United States in the
aggregate annual amount of US $3.443 billion in respect of the covered agreements and sectors as
specified in the Request and this Submission.

[/ QUOTE ]

DeadMoneyDad
10-10-2007, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
foxit reader is free guys... I am neither qualified to summarize nor analyize /images/graemlins/wink.gif Here is the last paragraph --

[ QUOTE ]

132. For all of the reasons stated in this Submission, Antigua requests authorisation from the
DSB for the suspension of concessions or other obligations with respect to the United States in the
aggregate annual amount of US $3.443 billion in respect of the covered agreements and sectors as
specified in the Request and this Submission.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Second link works on M$'s IE 7.0 into a pdf....

D$D

JPFisher55
10-10-2007, 10:13 PM
I reviewed the submissions by Antiqua and US. US is raising all the issues already decided in the case. The US has a point about the total $, but I think that Antiqua is right about all other matters. My SWAG on the amount is 1/2 what Antiqua is seeking. But how else can they be compensated except by the relief from the IP obligations that they request?
Boy this takes a long time. Both submissions were in June.

DeadMoneyDad
10-10-2007, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I reviewed the submissions by Antiqua and US. US is raising all the issues already decided in the case. The US has a point about the total $, but I think that Antiqua is right about all other matters. My SWAG on the amount is 1/2 what Antiqua is seeking. But how else can they be compensated except by the relief from the IP obligations that they request?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no trade issue for the US to blance any win by Antigua with. Unless they start forcing people to leave or enter the US by way of Antigua or ship all goods there as an intermediate transhipping stop.

That is why people like Bill Gates and most of Hollywood are scared. Things like DVD's and CD's are a lot cheaper to produce than even upgrading their ports or widening their runways. I've siad it before the EU and the other countries who signed on to the WTO case will likely block the import and export of what would be "illegal" US produced versions of the same material just to make the US look bad!

D$D

Jay Cohen
10-10-2007, 10:36 PM
They were submitted September 19th and October 4th,

Legislurker
10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot was/is confidential. Im on a 2 day stint awake or Id read more tonight. Where was this when I needed a project in college? The $ is what worries me. Im not sure if size of GDP will work for the USA. GDP only counts the final value of goods and services. Its not a true measure of an economy's size. The inputs gaming and related jobs contribute to the final value of GDP are excluded if its not
part of income receipts or payments. Gross output is going to be larger than GDP. Its a PR statement aimed at a group(the arbitration panel) who knows its meaningless. Mendel said they used sound econometric modeling, lets hope thats right. Heres hoping Bushy incompetence pays off and the USTR submissions infuriate the panel. Im going to ballpark 2.75bn.

JPFisher55
10-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Hey Jay wasn't Antiqua's request for compensation by the IP sanction submitted in their Recourse submission on June 22 or is that document meaningless?

TheEngineer
10-11-2007, 12:23 AM
Jay,

I agree with Whangarei -- thanks for keeping the poker community up to date on these activities. I like the line you've taken over the past several months. Rather than the "Antigua won't accept xxx" some have taken, your focus on the "the U.S. agreed to xxx and now we should keep our word" line has been very effective.

Cheers.

Richas
10-11-2007, 04:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it is als true that this process is horribly frustratingly slow. Unfortunately we are in uncharted territory here I doubt anyone knows how long this will take to be resolved even though the WTO does try to timetable it and sets regular deadlines for the next stage.

Admit it Jay, you'd love to fast forward to the very end game too - as far as I can see Antigua has the mortal nuts and we are just waiting for the cards to come off.

Legislurker
10-11-2007, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but it is als true that this process is horribly frustratingly slow. Unfortunately we are in uncharted territory here I doubt anyone knows how long this will take to be resolved even though the WTO does try to timetable it and sets regular deadlines for the next stage.

Admit it Jay, you'd love to fast forward to the very end game too - as far as I can see Antigua has the mortal nuts and we are just waiting for the cards to come off.

[/ QUOTE ]

The pace or urgency will pick up after this ruling, or the WTO will be a dead avenue to us. The methodology for compensation is the mortal nuts, not Antigua's position. However they penalize the US will be applied to every other claim. I don't think the US has any appeal once they rule on Antigua's damages.

spino1i
10-13-2007, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hey Jay wasn't Antiqua's request for compensation by the IP sanction submitted in their Recourse submission on June 22 or is that document meaningless?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jay Cohen
10-15-2007, 10:30 AM
When I think of the "submissions, " I think of the large briefs turned in the past few weeks. The documents that were submitted in June were very small.

Ron-Mexico
10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Jay- Are you back living in Antigua now? I know little off topic but