PDA

View Full Version : Party Poker Pool Tables

RikaKazak
03-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Hey all,

I've saved up enough partypoker points to get a pool table. Problem is I don't know if I should get it or not. I'm in the U.S. and my house has a very "woodsy" feel. So I was looking at the Heritage 8ft pool table. I'm looking for a table for drunken games with friends BUT is something that will last and is not just a "wal-mart" cheap thing.

Problem is I know next to nothing about pool tables. I searched online and the table looks "ok" as far as I can tell. I have two options, I can get the one on pp for "free" or I can go to the local billiard shop and just pay cash for one of their tables.

My question: Should I spend my points on the pool table, or just go buy a better pool table with my own cash?

Thanks in advance.

augie_
03-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Go to your local billiards store and ask them if they have that specific pool table in stock. Maybe you will be able to examine it yourself.

How long is the table? That is often telling about it's quality. There aren't very poorly made full sized tables. If it's one of those tiny ones that you can tuck in a bar, you might be better off buying a nice one.

Shaggy
03-03-2006, 08:23 PM
An 8 ft table is a "full size" table. Make sure the table playing surface is made of slate, not a hardwood like oak or maple. Does party poker cover the shipping? it will be expensive. That alone may make it cheaper to go with one at a local shop.
-Shaggy

RikaKazak
03-03-2006, 08:24 PM
It says it's a 8 footer, so I'm assuming full sized one.

I emailed VIP the day the store opened, they said, usually we answer questions in 90 minutes, but this is a matter we have to send to the pool table distributor. SO.....no response yet.

I asked if they set up the table, if it came with pool cues etc. and If it was a full sized regulation table.

Well, guess I'm still kind of lost. Not sure wether to get the pool table or a t.v. hmmmmm, still thinking.

Parlay Slow
03-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I would just like to say that I personally find the idea of getting something as pimp as a nice, full-sized pool table with freakin PARTY POINTS is awesome

MatthewRyan
03-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I would personally buy a nice one that matches my house rather than a "?" table from PP. use the points on a TV and call it a day.

RikaKazak
03-03-2006, 09:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would personally buy a nice one that matches my house rather than a "?" table from PP. use the points on a TV and call it a day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point matthew, with the T.V. I would know exactly what I was getting, if anyone orders the pool table could they please tell me how it is etc.

Thanks.

smoore
03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
8ft is an 8ft table. A real table is 9ft.

That said, I have no idea how well constructed it is.

edit: heh... if it were me I'd buy a Brunswick 9ft with the fake wood sides, chrome corners and that oh-so-wonderful faux mother of pearl spots.

mmmm, memories.

RikaKazak
03-03-2006, 09:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
An 8 ft table is a "full size" table. Make sure the table playing surface is made of slate, not a hardwood like oak or maple. Does party poker cover the shipping? it will be expensive. That alone may make it cheaper to go with one at a local shop.
-Shaggy

[/ QUOTE ]

It appears that it is an Oak laminate. Why would I want to avoid it? I'm guessing that it warps or something???

Thanks.

link to the table (http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-mizerak-heritage-8-foot-pool-table--pi-150072.html)

The link is the table on another site.

smoore
03-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Ah, I've seen those. They look like wal-mart furniture. That's what they mean by "oak laminate". It's only $700 retail, it's not that good of a table.

IMO, go for the TV and get a used table from the classifieds. You can get $1500 tables for $600 routinely.

johnnydingles
03-03-2006, 10:01 PM
The table is not slate, and is basically garbage. It will be ok for drunken pool games, but will likely warp and not be very good if you are at all serious about the game. Also 9' is not a REAL table, it depends on what you play. 9' is standard for 9 ball, if you play 8 balls, there are tons of tournaments played on 8' tables. Thats like saying a snooker table isn't a REAL table because it isn't 9'. They're all REAL tables, just depends are your game and preference/

smoore
03-03-2006, 10:11 PM
dingdingding, we have a winner!

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9ball much?

edit: for the non-billiard crowd there is a constant "ford!" "chevy!"...."party!" "pokerstars!"... type battle among the 8ft vs the 9ft crowd. I cut my teeth on 9 footers so I consider them the "!". There are 8ball tournaments on 8ft tables but you'll never see a 9ball tournament on them.

9ball being the superior gambling game (I hustle better than I play) makes it a no brainer for me.

TwoNiner
03-04-2006, 12:45 AM
Get the pool table just to make Party ship the thing.

johnnydingles
03-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Actually I played mostly 9 ball when I used to play. Played in a lot of tournies and such, hardly played on 8 footers.

RikaKazak
03-04-2006, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ah, I've seen those. They look like wal-mart furniture. That's what they mean by "oak laminate". It's only $700 retail, it's not that good of a table.

IMO, go for the TV and get a used table from the classifieds. You can get $1500 tables for $600 routinely.

[/ QUOTE ]

SOOOO SAD /images/graemlins/frown.gif guess I'll just get the T.V. and other party stuff, and buy the pool table on my own /images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, I saw the dream table I wanted and it was only $2,800, so not that bad I guess.

grjr
03-04-2006, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The table is not slate, and is basically garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think it's not a slate top? The Oak laminate part is referring to the sides.

dlk9s
03-04-2006, 01:36 AM
I know nothing about pool tables except that growing up, we had an old crappy one with no bounce left in the bumpers, and just from looking at that picture, I can tell it's crap.

grjr
03-04-2006, 01:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The table is not slate, and is basically garbage.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think it's not a slate top? The Oak laminate part is referring to the sides.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, apparently it has a "Slatron" playing surface which is an industry term for cheap-ass wood. Get the TV.

grjr
03-04-2006, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know nothing about pool tables except that growing up, we had an old crappy one with no bounce left in the bumpers, and just from looking at that picture, I can tell it's crap.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's not Scottish...It's crrrap.

HSB
03-04-2006, 01:45 AM
Yes the oak laminate is referring to the sides but there is no way someone is shipping a slate tabletop and if they did you wouldn't want them to. Slate is very heavy and inflexible. That's what makes it good for pool tables but very bad for shipping. There is no way in hell you can trust a slab or three of slate to go through FedEx or UPS without getting bumped around and you don't want it to get bumped around.

And even if it arrives in good shape, who is going to set it up? If it doesn't require setting up it isn't a real pool table.

Spend your points on something else, buy a table with cash.

kfellmy
03-04-2006, 02:14 AM
My table has no pockets...and only three balls.

grjr
03-04-2006, 02:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My table has no pockets...and only three balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I love 3-cushion billiards. Never can find a table around these parts though.