PDA

View Full Version : Set of 5s with a card that completes broadway on turn

brea
09-29-2007, 12:47 PM
I think I underbet the flop which made his decision a little easier on flop. Based on his aggresive bet on turn, I put him on flush draw with the made straight. Any comments?? Did I misplay this hand?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 handed) internettexasholdem.com (http://www.internettexasholdem.com)

MP ($50.20)
CO ($42.30)
Button ($39.70)
SB ($12.45)
Hero ($58.20)
UTG ($68.40)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $1, UTG calls $1.

Flop: ($4.75) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2.5</font>, UTG calls $2.50, Button folds.

Turn: ($9.75) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $12.5</font>, Hero calls $7.

River: ($34.75) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $51.9 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $86.65

xeanatic
09-29-2007, 01:02 PM
I shove the turn here, we are way ahead of his rangehe can be doing this with 2 pair hands etc.
as played I think I call river here

hennnerz
09-29-2007, 01:07 PM
Check-raise flop or bet more.

On both streets your bet sizing is too small. As played I 3bet flop then probs get it AI.

GSykes
09-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Shove turn

Dallas Dru
09-29-2007, 01:29 PM
shove turn or flop. you are most likely way a head and want to take it to value town on the flop/turn.. because you are way ahead of his range and it makes it a +ev play but as you saw more streets its becomes a -ev play because your hand is most likely 2nd best.

Swedebubba
09-29-2007, 01:32 PM
I canīt put him on any hand that beats you.

What hands call UTG preflop, call the flopbet with the button that raised preflop yet to act?
If he limped with rockets he would have reraised preflop.
I donīt think he limped with cowboys since he must protect them.
I canīt see any 2 diamond hand that he calls the flop with unless heīs a genuin donkey. QdJd - If he played this hand this way, Iīd put him on my buddylist. The flop call is disasterous with button yet to act.

I think itīs more likely that he has 2 pairs and he think itīs a monster... /images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Iīd shove the turn. You are most certainly ahead but the board is scary so you must protect your hand.

traz
09-29-2007, 02:50 PM
i cannot imagine folding anywhere. Get your money in as fast as you can, anyway you know how. Bet/Bet/Bet, CR flop/bet/bet, or whatever. Just get it in

BrunoThePug
09-29-2007, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i cannot imagine folding anywhere. Get your money in as fast as you can, anyway you know how. Bet/Bet/Bet, CR flop/bet/bet, or whatever. Just get it in

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Waingro
09-29-2007, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Based on his aggresive bet on turn, I put him on flush draw with the made straight.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is a very very very specific read you got there. Putting an opponent on a very limited range based on limited information is always a bad idea. Also, that is not an aggressive raise, that is a miniraise, something people do all the time with the most random of holdings. And you are ahead of those and he might call with some of them so get more money in there on the turn.

Student Caine
09-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Any reads on Villain? What about reads on the button - is he a "fit or fold" kind of player?

Speedlimits
09-29-2007, 03:48 PM
Bet more on the flop. If he's calling $2.5 he's calling $4.

Bet more on the turn and 3bet over his raise. You can't be scared of the straight even though it is in his range. 2pair/pair +gutter is more likely.

Student Caine
09-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Grunch:

I will assume no reads here

Preflop: Playing small pp's oop is always a bit tricky because it is tougher to extract value when we do hit our set. Given that we are getting 2-3:1 to call here (UTG will most likely call here if we call) and that the raiser is somewhat deep with ~75BB and we are deep at over 110BB and covered by UTG I think we are fine to call here.

Flop: Nice flop for us - we have a strong hand, someone else has probably hit something and we are not subject to big redraws (like a flush) at this point.

So we can either bet this out, go for a check-raise, or check/call.

1. CHECK/CALL: I hardly ever check/call a big hand at these stakes. I could do it with a strong read, but it has to be a very specific read (e.g., Button would be the type of player that folded to aggression, but dished it out handily once he had established control of the hand).

2. CHECK/RAISE: We can check-raise here, but we risk killing action from AX, but probably getting the money in faster against another big hand such as AK. Checking also brings forth the potential for the hand being checked thru, which means that we are sitting at the turn, with a small pot, and the potential for more redraws to have opened up on us. Since an Ace makes up a decent part of villains range with the fewest available combinations being AK and I hate losing value (especially against two opponents) I hold the check-raise for times when I have a strong read again (e.g., Button is the type of player that refuses to relinquish control of a hand in which he has been the aggressor or UTG is an overly tricky player that will make foolish bluffs in an attempt fulfill his dream of being Gus Hansen).

3. BET OUT: A wise man once said of uNL Hold ‘Em - "If you bet more money, on more streets they will call you".

My default play, into two players on this type of board is to bet out and bet out big. I am betting ū-full pot here and hoping that either UTG or Button has an Ace (or better yet AK). Our only goal at this point should be to get the stacks away from the edge of the table and into the middle. I do not bet light here hoping to trap someone. One thing that can be frustrating about this game is that sometimes we make a huge hand and noone else has anything worth playing with (this situation occurring over and over has put me on tilt more times than any number of ridiculous suckouts ever could), but if that’s the way it is, then that’s the way it is.

If we bet the pot here, then again on the turn, and finally on the river against the Button then we can get our stack in. We will be hard pressed to do so if we miss getting some money in on the flop.

Turn: Again, you need to bet more here, we may kill action here with a good sized bet, but we will lose value over time if this becomes our standard line

In regards to Villain's raise, it can mean a lot of things:

1. A made straight
2. A slowplayed set
3. A slowplayed two pair with a horribly played AK
4. A just made two pair with KT or AT
5. An overplayed Ax
6. He was just watching the WSOP on ESPN and heard Norman Chad talking about pros raising their flush draws

Of the above situations, only situation 2 poses a huge problem for our bottom set. Obviously we don’t like the straight, but we still have outs if he has hit it.

As played, I re-raise back at him, so we need to decide how much. The easiest draw to complete here is the flush draw at 4:1, so we would like to raise enough to kill the FD. One thing I keep in mind here is that it would take a keg of dynamite to get me off of a set in 50NL, which means that villain has complete implied odds, so we need to be raising to kill the odds of the remaining stack, not just the pot. If we raise up to $30 (not another $30, but to $30) this puts it really close to 4:1.

River: This sucks. The overbet makes it tough to think he has a straight or even the less likely two pair. It is possible that villain hit the flush draw on the turn and min raised you when you bet as weakly as you did. I still cannot lay this down. As played I have to make a crying call here and hope that I am up against a poorly played two pair.