PDA

View Full Version : Consequences of Norway probably signing "UIGEA"-law

LordMushroom2
09-25-2007, 11:06 AM
The Norwegian government will probably sign a "UIGEA"-law in the Spring. And I am wondering what consequences that may have on online poker-roomsī acceptance of Norwegian players.

I fear that roughly the same rooms currently not accepting Americans will not accept Norwegians either. I also fear that the risk/reward ratio of accepting Norwegians is lower than that of Americans and that even more sites will not accept Norwegians.

Any thoughts?

Skallagrim
09-25-2007, 11:42 AM
I cant believe Norway would enact a UIGEA-law. The UIGEA was the product of a backroom compromise that resulted in one of the worst written, indeterminable statutes ever passed. No one in this country is really sure what the UIGEA does or does not actually prohibit other than money transfers for sports betting.

The devil is in the details, LordMushroom. Specifics are what count. Without knowing the specifics of whats being proposed I cant answer your question.

Skallagrim

DeadMoneyDad
09-25-2007, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Norwegian government will probably sign a "UIGEA"-law in the Spring. And I am wondering what consequences that may have on online poker-roomsī acceptance of Norwegian players.

I fear that roughly the same rooms currently not accepting Americans will not accept Norwegians either. I also fear that the risk/reward ratio of accepting Norwegians is lower than that of Americans and that even more sites will not accept Norwegians.

Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder what we US tax payers gave Norway for them to even think of such a thing?

You Swedes better sleep with one eye open!! My be it is part of Russia now that the bear is in a coma...

D$D

MiltonFriedman
09-25-2007, 01:28 PM
Consumer discretionary spending in Bergen will drop 37%.

Norwegian poker players' suicide rate will rise 37% this winter.

Legislurker
09-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Blame the Estonians.

LordMushroom2
09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Another thing I am wondering about is:

If an American moves to say Canada (but is still an American citizen), can he then play at sites like Party Poker and Everest Poker?

[ QUOTE ]
The devil is in the details, LordMushroom. Specifics are what count. Without knowing the specifics of whats being proposed I cant answer your question.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could tell you more, but they havenīt formulated the law yet. All I know is they want to make it illegal to transfer funds from Norwegian banks to gambling companies.

Whether it is illegal for individual people to do this, or if it is illegal for the banks, I donīt know. Nor do I know if it is illegal to use a middle-man like Neteller.

The punishment for breaking the law is likely to be mild, though, as punishment in Norway is generally mild.

Richas
09-26-2007, 05:39 AM
Whilst Norway is not a full member of the EU it is subject to EU competition law. They would not be able to implement a UIGEA style law against EU based (Malta, Gib, Isle of Man, UK) gambling sites without getting their ass kicked in court.

Ain't gonna happen, don't worry.

LordMushroom2
09-26-2007, 06:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whilst Norway is not a full member of the EU it is subject to EU competition law. They would not be able to implement a UIGEA style law against EU based (Malta, Gib, Isle of Man, UK) gambling sites without getting their ass kicked in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

Skallagrim
09-26-2007, 12:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless, as I understand it, Norway were to make all gambling illegal (or maybe just online gambling). I know the EU has been quite active in forcing member states who have state gambling monopolies to open up to competition from other countries gambling sites, but they have said a state retains the right to simply ban gambling.

PS - just a short thank you to Richas for his EU perspective and information, it adds a lot to this otherwise US centered forum.

Skallagrim

Richas
09-26-2007, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unless, as I understand it, Norway were to make all gambling illegal (or maybe just online gambling).

[/ QUOTE ]

Not likely given the current revenues from their state monoply. I think they'd rather have them eroded than lost overnight. In addition the outright ban would work for WTO but would be unlikely to work in the EU where access to each others markets is more firmly agreed. Not been put up for legal review yet but if some EU country were to try an outright ban I'd expect them to lose as they are not allowed to reduce access.

[ QUOTE ]
just a short thank you to Richas....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee thanks, you're welcome.

Orlando Salazar
09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
If it were true, it'd be good for poker. You scandanavians are too good. lol.

I doubt they are going to pass a law like ours. Norway doesn't have the massively powerful sports leagues we do pushing for this.

MiltonFriedman
09-26-2007, 12:55 PM
Could Norway implement such a law against ANY gambling site, so long as it is not discriminatory against other EU members ? Say a law which made using a Norweigen bank to fund ANY online gambling illegal ?

Richas
09-26-2007, 04:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Could Norway implement such a law against ANY gambling site, so long as it is not discriminatory against other EU members ? Say a law which made using a Norweigen bank to fund ANY online gambling illegal ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not and keep its state run monopoly. Even if it closed up shop and introduced a ban at the same time anyone with access to the market today could still appeal to the EU - it has a mechanism built in to always increase market access no decrease allowed, it is doubtful that a moral defence would win against this clause even if they outlawed all gambling.

You might think that this is a huge infringement of state rights and you would be right, many opponents of the EU would froth at the mouth over this sort of thing but not me. They signed up to free trade, they have to deliver free trade.

JPFisher55
09-26-2007, 04:04 PM
You might think that this is a huge infringement of state rights and you would be right, many opponents of the EU would froth at the mouth over this sort of thing but not me. They signed up to free trade, they have to deliver free trade.

[/ QUOTE ]

You would think that the US federal govt. would realize this regarding the WTO. However, the biggest collection of stupidity and obstinance in the world resides in Washington, D.C. Sometimes I wonder how my country survives and thrives despite its government.

MiltonFriedman
09-26-2007, 08:10 PM
"They signed up to free trade, they have to deliver free trade."

I'll ask EU gaming counsel about it next week, but I think you are wrong. (Hope you are correct, but then I hope to hit 2 outers also. hope is a big hole in any game.)

Richas
09-26-2007, 08:15 PM
I think I am right that EU countries cannot increase restrictions on other EU countries. It is a bit of a hypothetical really because all EU countries get significant revenues from gambling so they will not ban and go for the moral defence anyway. Shoot the US can't do that either.

LordMushroom2
09-27-2007, 08:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If it were true, it'd be good for poker. You scandanavians are too good. lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Only fish would leave, though.

[ QUOTE ]
I doubt they are going to pass a law like ours. Norway doesn't have the massively powerful sports leagues we do pushing for this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our state gambling monopoly is very powerful and it is losing business to poker. The government is also looking to redeem itself for not doing enough to help addicts of slot-machines.

Thirdly, poker is presented in our media as a bad bad thing, so most Norwegians are probably in favour of this law. And finally, we have a law saying that you donīt have to pay back gambling debt, so the banks arenīt too opposed to the law either.

I think it is about 80% certain it will be passed.